Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power transients from high-end NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards can cause PC shutdowns. We explain what they are, measure them in the 30 series, and discuss their impact on the upcoming NVIDIA RTX 40 series GPUs (e.g. the rumored RTX 4080 and RTX 4090).

·
PC Evangelist
48,393 Posts
So its not based on the power limits but the asic limits. 3090 Ti would have jumped a lot higher but its peaks same as 3090.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
The new power spec that GPUs will use is supposed to solve the transient draw problem though by actually defining spec limits for how much something can draw over spec and for exactly how long. The problem is that right now we don't have a spec for it, GPUs just do it and if the PSU cant supply the power then you get a crash. With ATX 3.0 spec a PSU will be required to meet the specs for "power excursion" that GPUs need, and GPUs will be designed to meet those and not exceed them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah that was an interesting piece by GN.
It sounds like PSU makers need to stuff in bigger capacitors to handle the spikes.
Or am I over simplifying the problem? :)
I think its also an issue with GPU manufacturers using cheap parts on their cards as well. NVIDIA is really stressing a robust capacitor array for the 4000 series.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that was an interesting piece by GN.
It sounds like PSU makers need to stuff in bigger capacitors to handle the spikes.
Or am I over simplifying the problem? :)
Sorta. Capacitors can help mitigate the issue caused by current and rumoured power hungry GPUs. However, it’s not the solution.

What I found most interesting about the article are the results are fairly easy to understand, for the layman person, to help identify what factors to consider when purchasing a PSU and/or GPU.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the solution?
Not sure if rhetorical but there doesn't appear to be one at the moment. It's an ongoing issue. As a consumer, you can inform yourself about the situation and try to mitigate the chance for the OCP to trigger by purchasing a well equipped, oversized PSU. It's also probably worth dabbling into undervolting too.

Not sure we can just blame GPUs either because... well Im not an engineer. Is it poor design? Is it constraints from the current manufacturing process? Sounds complex but GN did a pretty good job summing up the issue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Boy, they are really getting into that "60 minutes" vibe with that ominous music. "TONIGHT ON GAMER'S NEXUS: IS YOUR GPU A TICKING TIME BOMB?! MORE AT11!"
Like!👍

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not sure if rhetorical but there doesn't appear to be one at the moment. It's an ongoing issue. As a consumer, you can inform yourself about the situation and try to mitigate the chance for the OCP to trigger by purchasing a well equipped, oversized PSU. It's also probably worth dabbling into undervolting too.

Not sure we can just blame GPUs either because... well Im not an engineer. Is it poor design? Is it constraints from the current manufacturing process? Sounds complex but GN did a pretty good job summing up the issue.
Not rhetorical. I was curious what you meant by saying capacitors weren't the solution.

It just sounded like you knew the solution and were baiting someone to ask so I asked. ;)

Anyways, I've always though capacitance was exactly meant to mitigate power spike requirements...

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just sounded like you knew the solution and were baiting someone to ask so I asked. ;)
Anyways, I've always though capacitance was exactly meant to mitigate power spike requirements...
I know diddly squat about PSUs but I'm sure you're correct. I simply thought it was a good video and worth sharing :)

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
That could be one use of them, but capacitors have many use cases. Often they are used to filter out unwanted frequencies on a circuit, to make a clean stable signal. They can also be used to specifically block DC or AC voltages on a circuit so only the other voltage not blocked can continue on where it needs to be. Often they are used to buffer the power between cycles from line power. And still other times they can be used to store a large charge of current so that when you get a sudden large (and temporary) draw the capacitor can supply that without tripping a breaker or dropping the voltage beyond spec.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anyway it made me feel better for upgrading my seasonic 650 watt to a seasonic 1000 watt when I got my 6900xt.
I have been thinking it was way overkill.
I can now sleep better thinking there might be transient spikes happening that I don't know about and that PSU is saving the day. :)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Anyway it made me feel better for upgrading my seasonic 650 watt to a seasonic 1000 watt when I got my 6900xt.
I have been thinking it was way overkill.
I can now sleep better thinking there might be transient spikes happening that I don't know about and that PSU is saving the day. :)
We will even bigger watt psu in next couple years lol

• Rep+
Reactions: crastakippers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
We will even bigger watt psu in next couple years lol
Well... TBH, we're not quite at the point where we we're running 2 PSUs or buying a 5.25" aux power supply to run quad SLI... Generally the pattern is self correcting and we should expect to see a huge step in power efficient cards around the 5000 or 6000 series release.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Well... TBH, we're not quite at the point where we we're running 2 PSUs or buying a 5.25" aux power supply to run quad SLI... Generally the pattern is self correcting and we should expect to see a huge step in power efficient cards around the 5000 or 6000 series release.
Yup. Sure hope so

·
Iconoclast
32,442 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts