Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little nuisance has been plaguing me since forever and multiple Windows 7 fresh installs and different hardware. When playing a game, usually ANY game, I'll be playing for a good hour then boom, I see my desktop and my game is usually still running. Thought it was drivers for GPU, but nope, 5870's and cat 10.2's all the way to 10.8s and official nvidia WHQL's to betas. It's not a crash because I can just continue like I alt+tabbed. Usually It'll happen again in about 10sec after I go BACK into the game and continue doing it for a good 5min give or take. Usually doesn't happen again after that.

Now at first and after some searching I figured "hey, it's probably because of some active window running". I always check to see if there's something blinking letting me know it needs my attention and such, but it's never anything like that. Still does it, I usually notice no other window that's active other than steam. No idea what program could be causing it if it IS a program. I even have the Windows key locked on my keyboard for accidental presses. I had this problem since I had my Razer Lycosa, G15 and G19 so I've ruled out keyboard issue. No idea where else to even start looking since this makes no bit of sense. Also ruled out virus, fresh install of windows here and scanned with everything I could possible think of.

Anyone had a similar issue or can recommend where to start looking?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT View Post
oh wow, im stumped! you tried different RAM?
Oh, forgot to put that in my post too, I'm Memtest for 10hrs stable (went to classes one day and forgot I left it running). Though i do need a new set here soon, doubt it's that though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashau View Post
Do you have an antivirus running? Tried disabling auto update or etc to see if it fixes it?

Also, does it happen with every single game?
I've been using MSE, no idea how to disable the Auto Update, but it updates prior to scanning, don't know if it scans for updates at other times.

As for games, it's VERY random when it happens, I do recall it happening in just about every game, not sure 100% though because it'll happen at least once a week.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah it happens to me too but it's usually not that much of an annoyance. Tried to find the root of it a few times but I couldn't find anything other than MSE to blame. I love the antivirus though :/

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashau View Post
Does that include source games? Because I use MSE too and that happens sometimes when I play TF2 or CSS.
Happens to me with TF2 as well, haven't played another source games but theres also a similar thread like this I read earlier today which about someone having the same problem with TF2. I'm on 10.9s, maybe theres a problem or bug with either the drivers or (more likely) the source engine?

Edit: I also use MSE... seeing a pattern lol.

Edit 2:^ I know how you feel, especially since alt+tabn' out of a game crashes any source game thats running in full screen for me. Love it when my friends about to uber me and I'm about to rush in and sticky a couple of sentries and it alt+tabs mid charge.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Edit: I also use MSE... seeing a pattern lol.
Very very very interesting lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascasho View Post
It makes me flip out and scream at my monitor sometimes when I'm in the heat of a battle, just want rip off the glass panel on my monitor and fling it at my neighbors dog in rage...
Well try uninstalling MSE and see if it helps. Try exiting all unneeded processes as well

Also, I suggest running CSS or TF2 with the parameters -window -noborder
It will run in a window but you wouldn't be able to tell so you can benefit from the ultra fast minimize+maximize. I use it myself

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also need to post that now that i think about it, it does it for other programs like Photoshop and Firefox because I would notice I would have to do an extra click to get the window active because it'll randomly become unfocused.

What I'm going to do is set the MSE icon to always displayed and check to see if it looks like it's updating because I am beginning to have a gut feeling it's MSE as well.

EDIT:
Going to disable windows update and set the service to manual and see if either of them are tied in any way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.