Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O, so lately there have been games being capped at 30 fps the PC, la noire is one example. N4S the run is another. La noire is ok because there is a reason for the cap (facial animations done in 30) and since it is slow paced it doesn't matter that much but for a racing game that's not acceptable. What other games are capped on PC and what do you think of the capping?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Only 6 other PC games that I am aware of are capped at 30 FPS. There are likely a few more that I don't know of.

Bully: Scholarship Edition and Alice: Madness Returns are both easily uncapped, so they barely count. As to why they were capped by the devs, Bully had some areas that couldn't hold a steady 60 FPS even with SLI GTX 460s and an i5-2500k when I played it back in March of last year. As well, the music minigame is rather buggy and the input is somewhat dependent on framerate and is essentially impossible at 60 FPS. I had to use Fraps to lock the framerate to 15 FPS to pass those two parts. Alice, I can't really say, but it was probably the intention of the devs to prevent fluctuations in framerate, especially when PhysX was enabled.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I & II are also both capped at 30 FPS, and while there appear to be some uncapping .exes floating about, I can't speak to their effectiveness since I have no experience with either game. Also, from discussions of these games, they apparently had quite a few other technical issues going on as well, so I steered clear of them.

SkyDrift and Split/Second meanwhile have no known uncaps that I am aware of. As both are racing games, 30 FPS is pretty much unacceptable to me. SkyDrift less so, since it is planes, there's a lot more room to maneuver and reaction time isn't as important. I would prefer that it were 60 FPS; 30FPS is playable, but only just. Split/Second though is absolutely unplayable for me at 30FPS. Also no controller support in the menus (even though a controller works fine while racing) is also a deal breaker. What is odd to me though, is Black Rock did an amazing job with PURE, smooth 60FPS, great menu controls, etc... So clearly they knew how to do an uncapped PC port, but for some reason, technical limitation or otherwise, they didn't with Split/Second.

As far as my personal take on it, it's limited to less than a handful of games thankfully, but it has stopped me from playing Split/Second and Need for Speed The Run. L.A. Noire I don't think I'd have much of an issue with. That said, I'd like to see all future games be released uncapped obviously, whether it's to play at 60 FPS or 120 FPS.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExposedWang View Post

Dead Space 2 and Alice: Madness Returns were both capped at 30. You had to edit the ini files to allow for higher frames.
Dead Space 2 is NOT capped at 30FPS, I've just been playing it with 47FPS and no I didn't have to edit any files. I'm doubting that the Alice game is capped now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixlight View Post

Dead Space 2 is NOT capped at 30FPS, I've just been playing it with 47FPS and no I didn't have to edit any files. I'm doubting that the Alice game is capped now.
http://physxinfo.com/news/5883/gpu-physx-in-alice-madness-returns/
Quote:
- By default framerate in Alice is capped by 30 fps. To remove it, you need to set "bSmoothFrameRate" to "False" in "AliceEngine.ini". But in this case your framerate may bounce from 100+ fps to 30+ fps (in intensive PhysX scenes) and back, so it will result in unresponsive and choppy controls. Thus, we will recommend to keep Smooth option enabled.
You can also set a cap for it. I put it at 61 personally. And you're right DS2 was not 30 fps, I mixed that up with another EA game. When I get home I will figure out which one it was.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Dead Space 1 and 2 were both hurt by Vsync; if I remember correctly, it ran terribly until you forced if off in your graphics control panel.

As far as the capping, I believe it has to do with laziness on the part of the developer. There have been plenty of capped games out, mostly ones developed primarily for consoles.

For LA Noire, I did a quick Google search (recommended...), and I found this. I'm sure there's a workaround for NFS as well. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
From Dust also has a 30FPS cap.

Someone made a fix to increase it to 120 FPS, but it messed up the physics of the game
rolleyes.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts