Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*GTA 4 ver. 1.0.0.4 no mods installed ,vsync on ,definition on.

*WOW freshly installed all patched all expansions.maxed out.

This is a new rig which is more than good to play games isnt it?
There are no overheating problems on my GPU or CPU. I am getting random hangups/freezes every single time i play, it may take up to 20-30 minutes but it will hang for sure and then"GTA IV has stopped working", back to desktop. I have tried every single ati driver with same results, changed graphics settings as well ,re installed the GPU drivers and game as Administrator/ In compatibility mode with xp sp3, also tried vista with no success.
Its frustrating to work like a horse for months in order to buy a decent gaming rig to play gta 4 and not be able to enjoy it.

Please advice. Thanks

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Have you tried running a disk cleanup or diskcheck program? I was having those same issues turned out to be something corrupted on the HDD. Good luck man that must be frustrating.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Turn off the replay thingy in-game. Somehow it causes a memory leak and crashes the game after 20-40 mins.. at least it did so for me, after I turned it off it ran flawless.

Might be worth a shot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No steam version , i got original dvd from ebay.
What do you mean replay option ? i havent seen one , only know about clip capture.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchkinpuncher View Post
Have you tried running a disk cleanup or diskcheck program? I was having those same issues turned out to be something corrupted on the HDD.
This i havent done , but I just built the rig last saturday. Anyways im trying this one out tonight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchkinpuncher
View Post

Have you tried running a disk cleanup or diskcheck program? I was having those same issues turned out to be something corrupted on the HDD. Good luck man that must be frustrating.

Checked disk, no errors. Still get crashes and gray screens of death while playing gta 4, Please someone advice??????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After trying all suggested solutions I am still having problems.

Uninstalled and driverswept previous ati driver, installed 10.3 drivers, game stops working randomly 3-10 minutes.

I am starting to feel desperate........

PLEASE HELP!

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tee_M_Cee
View Post

After trying all suggested solutions I am still having problems.

Uninstalled and driverswept previous ati driver, installed 10.3 drivers, game stops working randomly 3-10 minutes.

I am starting to feel desperate........

PLEASE HELP!

I haven't played GTA IV so I can't speak of bugs, however, there are a few things you may want to double check to be sure you're operating correctly:

Check UAC/Firewall settings
Check your BIOS and be sure C&Q is off
Check your memory & timings, be sure they're set properly
Check display options and be sure if you've got an IGP that it is disabled

If you think something is odd let me know and I'll see if I can help you with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK
View Post

I haven't played GTA IV so I can't speak of bugs, however, there are a few things you may want to double check to be sure you're operating correctly:

Check UAC/Firewall settings
Check your BIOS and be sure C&Q is off
Check your memory & timings, be sure they're set properly
Check display options and be sure if you've got an IGP that it is disabled

If you think something is odd let me know and I'll see if I can help you with it.

1. UAC is off, Can you please be more specific as to which firewall settings?
2. Bios for my board is F2 , and there is a beta i havent tried.
3. Which memory timings would you reccomend? I am totally new to this stuff, mine is Mushkin Stiletto DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 if that says something, same in bios.
4. What to do here?

I just bought my new rig with win 7 ultimate 64 and this has been a nightmare, I have tested and passed chkdisk,memtest86,passmark BurninTest (Video,RAM,DISK,CPU tests)also have UAC off, run everything with 'Run as admin" mode. Tried 4 diff ati drivers, various game reinstalls and even the DIrt 2 demo gave me a bsod within 2 minutes of running it. I have GTA 4 , WOW , Dirt 2 Demo. I cant seem to be able enjoy my rig without games crashing or the damn dxgmms1.sys BSOD variations.
Also tried underclocking the GPU to stock version values, same results.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Quote:

View Post

1. UAC is off, Can you please be more specific as to which firewall settings?
2. Bios for my board is F2 , and there is a beta i havent tried.
3. Which memory timings would you reccomend? I am totally new to this stuff, mine is Mushkin Stiletto DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 if that says something, same in bios.
4. What to do here?

I just bought my new rig with win 7 ultimate 64 and this has been a nightmare, I have tested and passed chkdisk,memtest86,passmark BurninTest (Video,RAM,DISK,CPU tests)also have UAC off, run everything with 'Run as admin" mode. Tried 4 diff ati drivers, various game reinstalls and even the DIrt 2 demo gave me a bsod within 2 minutes of running it. I have GTA 4 , WOW , Dirt 2 Demo. I cant seem to be able enjoy my rig without games crashing or the damn dxgmms1.sys BSOD variations.
Also tried underclocking the GPU to stock version values, same results.

*Can you please be more specific as to which firewall settings?

I would look at being sure your firewall is accepting these games to play and considering you're able to play it's probably fine. But you should check to be sure those games are able to access the web and are not restricted by your firewall, although they still shouldn't be crashing or BSOD.

*3. Which memory timings would you reccomend? I am totally new to this stuff, mine is Mushkin Stiletto DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 if that says something, same in bios.

That all depends on the ram you bought. Check the model number on the Mushkin's website for the correct timings, or specific timings to get the ram to operate with certain setups. Not all motherboards like the same ram at the same settings and most definitely not all motherboards like every kind of ram module either. What is more, you need to be sure that the ram was installed on the right channels in your motherboard. For instance, most boards have 4 DIMMs, (2 Channels, ie: 2 black in color 2 blue in color). For dual-channel ram you would install one module in one #1 slot (black) and #3 slot (blue). Although you can install both modules in the same channel, they will not operate as dual-channel ram.

*4. What to do here?

In your bios (among many other settings) it's good to be sure you've disabled your onboard video (IGP) unless you plan on using it along side a discrete graphics card. However, as of checking the board in your sig, it has no onboard video. So this point is moot.

What isn't moot however would be a bios flash or update. There are also some other settings in your bios to set manually and some that can be left at auto. What have you set in your bios? And what revision is the bios? I'll do my best to help you sort this out. There is always the possibility of a bad board or another component having been bad. What is odd to me is the BSOD - you should be jumped back to your desktop with an error and not blue screened. I suggest you try to write down the BSOD error code if you can, and if you need to try to use the pause/break key to keep it on the blue screen for time enough to write it down. This will likely lead to the cause of the errors. If it is a dx***.dll error as you mentioned also, it could be that your hardware is experiencing shorts, doesn't have enough power (not likely but possible), or could be having internal conflicts (not likely either since jumperless boards were introduced, but possible), and or you could be experiencing a corrupt set of dlls (very possible).

Let me know!

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Checked disk, no errors. Still get crashes and gray screens of death while playing gta 4, Please someone advice??????

I would question the card. It happens quite a bit on ATI 5 series cards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts