Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting extreme screen tearing in a horizontal line about 2/3 up my HDTV downstairs. Running a 30ft HDMI cord from my computer upstairs.

Any reason this is happening? It's super annoying. I've tried turning VSync on for when I'm playing FF15 downstairs and that didn't help. I cap my fps at my monitor and hdtv refresh rate. Doesn't move much. Also tried turning down settings. On latest drivers. I don't even know if it's actually tearing, it's like a weird graphical thing that only happens on the TV downstairs. Running at 1080P

I think it might be a bad cable. Already updated the firmware on my TV just now and that didn't help. Looks very similar to the link below
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...p?idx=148576&modelcode=&modelname=LN-T4053HT&

Update:

Think I fixed this!!! Triple Buffering really seems to have done it.

Set TV to "PC Input"
Enabled VSYNC
Enabled Triple Buffering through Nvidia Control Panel

Update:

Finally got around to troubleshooting. Brought the PC down, and a 5-6ft cable worked perfectly. Then I used each of the 30ft cables I have, worked perfectly.
I had kinked the cables just enough after sliding the receiver back.
I'm also clearly approaching the limit of HDMI cable length. I have a 30ft cable going into my Receiver, with another 5-6ft generic cable to the TV.
Vsync does help

Gameplan:
In wall HDMI with a Bluerigger cable. Hoping to reduce my HDMI cable length to the receiver from 30ft to 15-20ft
Get a higher quality 3ft cable for the receiver to the TV, and another 3ft cable from my Desktop to the wall plate
90 degree connectors for no bends and less stress

36ft total cable length to about 25ft is the goal, with no bends. This will be a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
two issues here one has already been addressed with the cable a good cable that long is going to run about $200 to give some reference. the second issue is that most TV's are not actually 1920 X 1080 a easy way to see this is the screen size when you first connected the TV to the computer was the image on the TV from the PC a little larger than what the TV was showing. meaning that the bottom of the screen was not able to be seen?

if so and you adjusted the screen size with the PC to allow the entire image to be seen on the TV this is also causing a issue. that adjusted screen resolution is not easy for the video card to constantly be scaling the image to.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
two issues here one has already been addressed with the cable a good cable that long is going to run about $200 to give some reference. the second issue is that most TV's are not actually 1920 X 1080 a easy way to see this is the screen size when you first connected the TV to the computer was the image on the TV from the PC a little larger than what the TV was showing. meaning that the bottom of the screen was not able to be seen?

if so and you adjusted the screen size with the PC to allow the entire image to be seen on the TV this is also causing a issue. that adjusted screen resolution is not easy for the video card to constantly be scaling the image to.
Bought a Redmere Monoprice cable, same issue.

What is the solution to the second issue you described? It's driving me bonkers. I don't notice is much in other games.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
well for the second issue I cant say I have a great fix, but I just return the screen size on the PC to 1920 X 1080, and deal with the edges of the game not being on screen, it is easier on the video card.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Look on your TV, alot of them have a "compensator" for HD due to weird channels and jacked up boardering...
On my Panasonic, the option is under display, and show as HD Size 1 & 2. When i switch, it zooms out and shows a true 1080p. Some t.v.'s default zoomed in because it hides a weird jarbled edge that some channels that are upscaled and such can show. so when it's "zoomed" it hides it from the viewer. As toolmaker03 said, when i hooked my htpc to my tv, i couldn't see the taskbar. once i adjust this option on the t.v., it could see everything perfectly without adjust the scaling on the GPU.

·
Registered
134 Posts

This is completely wrong. 1080p TVs are in fact 1920x1080. What you are describing is not because of resolution, its because the TV is using overscan compensation. You need to disable it by changing the Aspect to "Screen Fit" or whatever it's called on the TV, NOT by adjusting PC resolution.

And as to needing a $200 cable. Good grief. Are you a Best Buy salesman by chance?

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
And as to needing a $200 cable. Good grief. Are you a Best Buy salesman by chance?
no, just what I went through, I tried the cheap HDMI cables but they would not transmit a picture from my PC video card. so, I got some mid grade HDMI cables, but once again no picture from my PC to the TV. so finally I got the high end HDMI cables and behold I got picture.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Plat..._rd_wg=W12wn&refRID=6PY0DVT4MD3MNH82GQJ6&th=1

this is what I ended up getting that actually worked.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't find any other settings on my TV that would affect anything.

What else could this be? Everything else runs flawlessly on my computer. Heck even FFXV runs fine on my monitor without the crazy tearing. Overwatch does the same thing so it's not just that game. Things I've tried:

Different HDMI cable
Different HDMI port on both video card and TV
Latest Drivers
Vsync On and Off
Capping frames at 60fps (Never dips average settings)
Enabling "Game Mode" on TV
Changing TV Input Name to PC

I'm starting to suspect my TV can't handle playing games at 1080p 60hz? 2012 Samsung EH6000 LED TV

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
well I have the Samsung 55UE6030 and it does handle it, I would think that yours can to. I don't have any of the settings that they clam exist for my TV either. what I explained worked for me, so give it a try, what is the worst that could happen?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Think I fixed this!!! Triple Buffering really seems to have done it.

Set TV to "PC Input"
Enabled VSYNC
Enabled Triple Buffering through Nvidia Control Panel

Seems to have done it. Going to try to use my old cable now and return this $30 cable.

Update:

Finally got around to troubleshooting. Brought the PC down, and a 5-6ft cable worked perfectly. Then I used each of the 30ft cables I have, worked perfectly.
I had kinked the cables just enough after sliding the receiver back.
I'm also clearly approaching the limit of HDMI cable length. I have a 30ft cable going into my Receiver, with another 5-6ft generic cable to the TV.
Vsync does help

Gameplan:
In wall HDMI with a Bluerigger cable. Hoping to reduce my HDMI cable length to the receiver from 30ft to 15-20ft
Get a higher quality 3ft cable for the receiver to the TV, and another 3ft cable from my Desktop to the wall plate
90 degree connectors for no bends and less stress

36ft total cable length to about 25ft is the goal, with no bends. This will be a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ended up at about 30ft of cable.

I still had issues. Long story short, I brought my monitor downstairs and plugged that in and it worked beautifully. My TV I believe is the culprit.

Thank god cause running the cable was a lot of work. I'm only able to test out 1080p at 60hz, but at least that is working. Will report back by the end of the year with an OLED TV.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
a better alternative imo is get a higher refresh rate tv, that way you won't get tearing above 60hz and you can use vysnc

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ended up getting a 65" Vizio P65 for $900 on Black Friday.

Tearing issues gone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts