Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory..
I started playing a 2D game called Tibia in 2000 and really got into the private server world of gaming. This introduced me to programming (C++, PHP, SQL, C#) and web development which sparked my interest in computer engineering. I pretty much owe my career goals to avenues that this game introduced me to. I was 10 when I started programming.

The private server community for this game has severely died down and has evolved in a way that I am uncomfortable jumping back into. I'm wanting to develop web and desktop applications as well as contribute to the private server code base for a private server. I have a job that has a lot of downtime and would like to use a private server community as motivation to program and build my programming resume.

What are some games with good private server communities behind them that I could contribute to? It's also worth mentioning that I have dedicated servers at my disposal and would be hosting a server as well
smile.gif

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
World of Warcraft may be an avenue you want to venture into.

Although it's technically a grey area at best, the private server community is really strong. There is also plenty of ready material, and custom stuff is relatively easy to develop and implement. Assets are easily readable and accessible.
It may be hard finding a project to take place into, but if the game keeps your attention, you should have no great difficulties.
smile.gif

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

World of Warcraft may be an avenue you want to venture into.

Although it's technically a grey area at best, the private server community is really strong. There is also plenty of ready material, and custom stuff is relatively easy to develop and implement. Assets are easily readable and accessible.
It may be hard finding a project to take place into, but if the game keeps your attention, you should have no great difficulties.
smile.gif
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I have actually played WoW for about 10 years now and have thought about venturing into their private server space. However, I was thinking that their private server community is pretty mature at this point with readily available systems for pretty much everything. I was hoping to be able to make a positive impact on a community that hasn't matured quite so much
biggrin.gif

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Oh, a fellow player. I've been playing since the Vanilla open Beta, haha.

Well, one of my favourite WoW-like games back in the day was Dungeon Runners, however it got shut down and although the forums are still a bit active, there aren't many people hoping that the project will be resurrected.

Apart from that, I don't really know what else to propose.
frown.gif

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Well, one of my favourite WoW-like games back in the day was Dungeon Runners, however it got shut down and although the forums are still a bit active, there aren't many people hoping that the project will be resurrected.

frown.gif
No worries! It's always nice to meet a fellow player. I didn't play during vanilla and it's probably a good thing that I didn't. My grades would have tanked in school, haha.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipp View Post

Quote:

frown.gif
No worries! It's always nice to meet a fellow player. I didn't play during vanilla and it's probably a good thing that I didn't. My grades would have tanked in school, haha.
Indeed. Mine did.
rolleyes.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts