Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Instead of the original two USB 3.0 ports, those wanting to use the Rift to its full potential will now need four USB ports (three USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0).

Oculus CEO Palmer Luckey replied to the thread, saying the new requirements assume the player is "using Touch and an Xbox One gamepad at the same time." It was announced earlier this year that every Oculus Rift would include an Xbox One controller.

"Many people will be able to reduce port utilization with hubs, but your experience will vary by computer and hub," said Luckey. "We want to be totally honest with the maximum-use scenario so people can prepare and not have to swap ports around depending on the game they play."
source

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

"the new requirements assume the player is "using Touch and an Xbox One gamepad at the same time."
So basically you need 4 ports if you are trying to have the Rift + 2 control devices all connected at the same time for max-use? Seems reasonable to me; it's like saying I'd need 4 USB ports to use the Rift while a keyboard and mouse are also hooked up as well. Unless I've misread that and need 3 of those hooked up solely for the Rift itself and the last 2.0 only for the xbox controler

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Wait, it'll only be sold bundled with an X1 controller? That's lame. While I can't stand using a mouse and keyboard for gaming anymore, I'd rather use a DS4 (and I already have an X1), so totally unnecessary. Oh well, still looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRehab View Post

So basically you need 4 ports if you are trying to have the Rift + 2 control devices all connected at the same time for max-use? Seems reasonable to me; it's like saying I'd need 4 USB ports to use the Rift while a keyboard and mouse are also hooked up as well. Unless I've misread that and need 3 of those hooked up solely for the Rift itself and the last 2.0 only for the xbox controler
Yep seems that way.

Rift takes place 2 USB
1 for Touch Controls
1 for Xbox One controller

They basicaly also say that if you need to buy a USB hub get a good one.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post

Wait, it'll only be sold bundled with an X1 controller? That's lame. While I can't stand using a mouse and keyboard for gaming anymore, I'd rather use a DS4 (and I already have an X1), so totally unnecessary. Oh well, still looking forward to it!
Not a fan of the fact that they're coming forced with an Xbone controller. I already have a wireless Xbone and 360 controller along with the needed accessories to use on my PC. Also have 2 wired 360 controllers. I haven't owned an Xbox since the first one so, lol, I already have more xbox controllers then I need. Since they're likely to add at least $50 to the price of the rift would be nice to have an option to buy one without the controllers. Though, I can see how they'd like to avoid issues with people buying that model without a proper means of controlling the rift.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,779 Posts
The XBOX controller bundle is the reason I shifted over to wanting the Vive instead. If it comes bundled with a controller it will be the steam controller and at least I don't already own one of those.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I agree with all the statements above me. I don't see why it has to be included with something that 90% of gamers probably already own.

The only way I'd see it make at least some sense, is if it was bundled with one of the Elite XB1 controllers, then at least I can see a reason to buy one and replace my current XB1 controller.

·
A title was here
4,137 Posts
Guess I'll need a hub.

If the new VR tech doesn't breath new life into gaming then I most likely will be done with gaming as I'm 32 and games just aren't what they used to be.

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
So... Just how much extra useless stuff is going to be included in the box now? First it was a pair of headphones that probably won't hold anything against even the Audio Technica ATH-A(D)700X's (or Sennheiser 558/598's), then it was an extra controller.... So now we're seeing the need for four USB ports as well.... If they just focused on the headset itself, or did what they claimed they won't and release JUST the headset in the box.... Then it wouldn't be such an expensive ordeal.

HTC Vive for me it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Wasn't this thing supposed to launch like a long time ago? I had forgotten about it.

I figured we'd all be using Rifts to plat Star Citizen and HL3 by now...
rolleyes.gif

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Meh. First gen is going to suck anyway. Screen resolution is simply too low.

Second gen is what I'm really looking forward to, and by then all of these "requirements" will likely be obsolete (as will my current computer).

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,619 Posts
wait...bundled with xbone controller?! I have 4 of those...I don't want another one!

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

·
Premium Member
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

wait...bundled with xbone controller?! I have 4 of those...I don't want another one!

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
Say hello to your Fifthe one
biggrin.gif

·
I <3 narcissists
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Say hello to your Fifthe one
biggrin.gif
Or say hello to the Vive with essentially the exact same specs with the addition of room tracking.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post

Guess I'll need a hub.

If the new VR tech doesn't breath new life into gaming then I most likely will be done with gaming as I'm 32 and games just aren't what they used to be.
fact

...with you man, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRehab View Post

Four MASTER ports that aren't on a USB hub/router. Which means you'll need two USB adapter cards on 1x slots for it to be nimble.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts