Overclock.net banner

4261 - 4278 of 4278 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
////

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\BackgroundModel\BackgroundAudioPolicy

AllowHeadlessExecution = 1 //original is 0
AllowMultipleBackgroundTasks = 1 //original is 1 (might try another value sometime)
InactivityTimeoutMs = FFFFFFFF //original is 6ddde (I think, oops)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

DwmInputUsesIoCompletionPort = 0 //original is 1 (I suspect this could be big for input response)
EnableDwmInputProcessing = 0 // original is 7 (curious to why original is 7 and not 1)

////
Had to edit permissions for the key to make it work: https://www.howtogeek.com/262464/how-to-gain-full-permissions-to-edit-protected-registry-keys/

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
how many times do you need to replace TIM - Thermal Paste for the CPU? because for me I almost need for GPU 1080gtx Inno3D x3 and CPU every 4-5 months or so..... is it for everyone????

I have tried many Thermal Pastes, they all have the same durability, they could have different TM or whatever it's called, but I think it affects things.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
how many times do you need to replace TIM - Thermal Paste for the CPU? because for me I almost need for GPU 1080gtx Inno3D x3 and CPU every 4-5 months or so..... is it for everyone????

I have tried many Thermal Pastes, they all have the same durability, they could have different TM or whatever it's called, but I think it affects things.
Why do you ask here lol. You change the paste once you see a big raise between initial temperatures and recent and if you have to change every ~5 months then you're doing something wrong, including using sheit tier paste.

·
Registered
180 Posts
DWM Latency IO Tweak?
My cursor movement is now a dream, it actually felt really weird at first, kinda like cracking headshots without interpolation when you've been used to it.
Of course, I'm not claiming this was the actual cause (or that these even do anything), so I wonder if anyone knows what these actually do or has any experience with these. DWM disabling is a big deal for some in this community, so you might want to take a crack at it.

I await your hate comments with anticipation.
Welcome. I think it works, might just be placebo. Although I suspect the latter does more than the former. Very strange. Last night I was playing around with the DWORDS in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore and it fixed DFO even for a bit.

After using your tweak my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm registry has changed. It now looks like this. Prior to this it had a bunch of the Dwords that would affect
compositions and performance you know as "Adjust the Appearance and Performance of Windows." It included Dwords like Composition, ColorGlassAttribte, ect.

Did you already check my BlurBusters thread? Here's some more tweaks. We need to find them all. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gxamm7 It was either after this tweak, or your tweak that this DWM registry changed.

Had to edit permissions for the key to make it work: How to Gain Full Permissions to Edit Protected Registry Keys
Here's even more tweaks. This guide basically took everything from my guide and added even 1000x more. https://docs.google.com/document/d/18uPEXJC5LSto8x9X_GteSI58sfQLCfamDG1HNHJWrQU/edit

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am on the most updated 2004. play apex. don't have said issues.

here is the folder on my end.

·
Registered
180 Posts
here is the folder on my end.
Yeah that's how mine used to look like. I don't know what happened. It changes back to normal after a reboot anyways.

Either way I wonder what OneCoreNoBootDWM does on my end.
Actually I found from older forums 2014-15 that your screen would go black if you change it. I do remember ending explorer.exe In win7 when I needed more performance for my games lol. [DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9841

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sure, but I'm offshore for another week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys after a TON of digging through absolutely everything, bios settings, hidden bios settings, nvidia inspector, regedit you name it I managed to find the source for my issue and it sounds super counterintuitive but it 100% works for me. The issue appears to come from the way windows decided to implement cursor movement and frame pacing, it seems to be tied to DWM or something, however I can't seem to find a way to brute force my way around it, I can only modify everything else to adapt to the way it's working.
So I believe this issue came about somewhere in 2018, for me it began in October of 2018 and what I believe it is is that windows is syncing your cursor to the triple-buffered dwm. While I can globally disable TB/vsync, force classic fullscreen, and lower max prerendered frames, this all actually makes everything WORSE, because it appears interrupts themselves are synced to the desktop. What this means is if you mitigate that 80-100 ms of display lag through the above options, your inputs will now be desynced from your monitor's frame outputs and you'll get all the wacky "bugs" like clearly clicking on heads and not getting headshots or missing easy skillshots in mobas.
I'm not sure when this issue truly came about because in win7 you could disable dwm by using a non-aero theme and so I basically never had lag issues until I got a new pc and was forcibly upgraded to win10. The issue still occurs on win8.1 however I have not tried disabling hardware accelerated desktop composition. Your results may vary with this, but I imagine that won't fix anything since pointer trails = -1 in registry forces software cursor and that fixes nothing for me. windows 7 method.

What I did:
-Force VSYNC + triple buffering globally
-Run games in borderless windowed mode
-Low latency mode OFF
-Preferred Framerate: Highest Available
-GSYNC Off
*if your monitor(s) is/are truly gsync compatible you may not have this problem, however my freesync monitors had issues even with freesync enabled on my old gpu and have the same problem with gsync.

Obviously you're going to have to manage an increase in input lag if you enable vsync and triple buffering, however, as I stated before you already have this lag. It's baked into the windows OS. Honestly it doesn't even feel bad to me at this point after about 2 years of putting up with cursor desync. I tried 8.1, I tried linux gaming (only better if the game natively supports linux otherwise you're dealing with desktop composition through wine), and sadly my attempts at maintaining a win7 OS on my 8600k seem to be more pain than it's worth (even if I get past the USB 3.0/nvme stuff it always inevitably bricks itself somehow). The only way I could imagine being able to get around this is by finding what the mouse is synced to, changing the permissions on it, and forcing lower latency through NVCP, but I don't think it's feasible because I think interrupts themselves are synced to this and windows gives you pretty much nothing to work with when it comes to interrupts.

I had convinced myself it was an electricity thing for awhile but I had my electrician come and find no issues and eventually got the motivation to do more digging. Keep in mind it's not good enough to simply enable vsync, you need triple buffering as well (and I enable vsync in games as well to be safe). It's obviously not the most elegant solution to force input lag into your games but for me the sound/input/frame desync causes me physical illness in the form of migraines while I'll be honest I hardly notice the increase in input lag as I'm on 144hz. If anyone finds a way around this I'd love to know. My best theory is that there's just an innate issue with dwm with triple buffering off, it seems to struggle at handling interrupts with VSYNC and TB forced off. As you can see if you move the cursor really fast, DWM's cpu usage will increase, so it seems the cursor is handled by DWM, this issue means even if you use true fullscreen to bypass DWM for your game, you will still have the issue with your mouse so you will be receiving frames on time, but your mouse will still be 50-100 ms behind (or w/e ms based on the input lag difference). If you run borderless + vsync + TB, you will receive frames as fast as you can react to them so despite the existence of the input lag, everything will respond correctly as far as you can see. Realistically, it's not that much lag increase anyways at 144hz, a factor of about ~50ms, if everything worked properly it'd be a crucial 50 ms, however it's far more preferable than getting your frames 50ms faster than your mouse inputs. That 50ms is enough desync to absolutely ruin your tracking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An addendum to the above, make sure you have hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling turned off too. Everything that intends to reduce "input lag" appears to only be reducing display lag with no affect on actual inputs. There's either something wrong with input priority or frame-pacing with dwm, I'm not certain which it is. I do know I still get tearing when I simply cap fps to my framerate and even vsync isn't smooth, my cursor also stutters like crazy without TB on. It seems like with vsync off tearing gets worse with mouse movement and keyboard input as well. Really strange but I'm just glad I have something to work with after all the headaches.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,511 Posts
An addendum to the above, make sure you have hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling turned off too. Everything that intends to reduce "input lag" appears to only be reducing display lag with no affect on actual inputs. There's either something wrong with input priority or frame-pacing with dwm, I'm not certain which it is. I do know I still get tearing when I simply cap fps to my framerate and even vsync isn't smooth, my cursor also stutters like crazy without TB on. It seems like with vsync off tearing gets worse with mouse movement and keyboard input as well. Really strange but I'm just glad I have something to work with after all the headaches.
I upgraded from Phenom II x6 with Win7 to Threadripper 1900x with Win10. The DWM issue is no longer present in OS.

I also mostly recommend Vsync+Triple buffering if you want to have smoothest experience, while i dont see any issue with FreeSync.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The issue appears to come from the way windows decided to implement cursor movement and frame pacing, it seems to be tied to DWM or something, however I can't seem to find a way to brute force my way around it, I can only modify everything else to adapt to the way it's working.

I had convinced myself it was an electricity thing for awhile but I had my electrician come and find no issues and eventually got the motivation to do more digging. As you can see if you move the cursor really fast, DWM's cpu usage will increase, so it seems the cursor is handled by DWM, this issue means even if you use true fullscreen to bypass DWM for your game, you will still have the issue with your mouse so you will be receiving frames on time, but your mouse will still be 50-100 ms behind.
Yes, I had a feeling this was the case. Even if my input lag is insanely good now from all my tweaks, there is something weird about mouse movement. I talked about this in my thread.(in signature). And don't listen to those guys who say it's all electricity. Their problem is very rare and can cause schizophrenia for people who don't know how to diagnose their own problems.

One of the updates did change how mouse movement worked. It'd be great if I could find a regedit to fix it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/76eaeh

I highly recommend you check out my blurbusters thread. I got rid most of my input lag and got Exclusive Fullscreen back

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Can you post your Autoruns64.exe file? I checked my friend and mine and I saw a lot of differences between the services running. I want to know if actually, windows uses different services depends on the drivers that can cause repeating input lag.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hello, usb dac where is better to plug it ,on usb2 or usb3 ? (asus rampage iv BE)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
4261 - 4278 of 4278 Posts