Overclock.net banner
4281 - 4300 of 4303 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
This topic need to get a update as was written in 2013. Found this info has been very usefull over the years.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Tesintg more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah that's how mine used to look like. I don't know what happened. It changes back to normal after a reboot anyways.

Either way I wonder what OneCoreNoBootDWM does on my end.
Actually I found from older forums 2014-15 that your screen would go black if you change it. I do remember ending explorer.exe In win7 when I needed more performance for my games lol. [DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9841
Yeah I used to disable explorer too in W7, but disabling it does make mouse inaccurate in W10! I didn't try yet lowering priority, affinity, i/o, page priority. Maybe I could settle on that, if it won't affect negatively a mouse!

Last night I was playing around with the DWORDS in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore and it fixed DFO even for a bit.
What is DFO?

I've noticed my friend with 1070 had perfect mouse movement and he didn't need the update while I needed the update and had crappy movement. Also, after the update, the mouse was improved. so there must be more than the seeing eye on this matter. I don't know why no one reposts anything.
Currently on RTX-3070-VENTUS-3X-OC, msi enabled by default. Has like 50-70us DPC latency max on multiple 30 minute tests! Mobo z390-i gaming with maximum interrupt to user process latency 100us!

Some Z390 BIOS settings

IOAPIC 24-119 entries - on (more interrupt addresses, should be on if you use MSI)

Above 4G decoding - on (especially if you have resizable bar, or a lot of memory) - caused floaty mouse for me on (z390-i gaming,i5 9600kf, 3070)

Spread spectrum - on (helps with EMI), but can cause input lag - says Chief Blur Buster!

Intel Speed Step - off

Intel Turbo Boost - off (dynamic CPU freq.)

Intel Speed Shift - on faster C state transitions, voltage optimization. Seems it helped with input lag. More: My investigation of hardware P-states. ACPI adventure

Disable mobo RBG, also for your RAM!!!
Disable obviously all C state and power saving features, not only exclusive to CPU!

Some other setting:
CS GO TWEAKS - BIOS tweaks for gaming pc and cs:go

CPU/RAM voltage:
VCCIO & VCCSA
- set to 1.1 -1.2v, start from 1.1 and test stability
RAM - check voltages are correct, some mobos overvolt RAM!!! Some don't even report correctly, so GL... ASROCK e.g.

Misc:
Make sure to disable RAM testing via mobo switch, or BIOS!
Fastboot - off
(lag)
Secureboot - off (laaaaaag) it is scam anyways pbatard/rufus
Use TPM - ( can be used to spy on your by corporations etc.) improves system security

PS: sorry about formatting, no idea why this happened...

BTW check these 2 Ultra Tweak guides:
Melody's Ultra Tweaks Pack - Basic Tweaks - basic TWEAKS? HAHA - google doesn't even find what these do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys. As someone who have been struggling with input lag for 10 years and through this time i spend 8k euros on different pc setups, monitors ,keyboards , mouses , sound cards, network cards and as someone who owns his own debloated version twe windows 10 from 1607 up to 2004 with fr33thy's registry tweeks included i can tell you that all this tweeks is placebo. Every one of them. This was my first tweak guide i followed back when famous "CS ISNT SMOOTH" thread was created and i was also fr33thy die hard follower for half and year. If you want i can upload you windows 10 - 1607 , 1709 , 2004, 2009 clean and debloated as windows 7 with tools like interupt affinity policy tool, msi tool, radeonmod, autoruns contained in C:\Windows so you can easily run them from ALT+R. Really good stuff but yeah i have bad news for you, it is 110 % electricity problem. For now there is no 100 % fix this because many of us tried different things like buying power conditioners , buying online upses, changing stuff in main circuit board all this things somehow really affects how your both mouse and keyboard feels , it improved audio quallity aswell as quality of display clarity and sharpness. Doing this stuff like having a debloated version , having a tweaked bios (this actually can help) is nice but in the end DPC LATENCY DOES NOT AFFECT INPUT LAG. Just look at pro's you think players like furiousss or any other pro uses fancy tweaked debloated windows with no synthetic timers and stuff? you think any of this players cares about tweaking?. Just be honest to yourself and ask yourself why you are you still trying new things after all this years you spended tweaking stuff. Cus its always get bad right?. Sure this tweaking will help you with things such as faster boot or it is just comfortable to get 0 bloat and save some resources but if you want a better input buy a online ups and enjoy no input lag for week maybe more or less it all depends of power qualiity of your house and then it will slowly came back, like floaty mouse, heavy and slow feeling in games, muddy audio, desync in bullet registry and all stuff like this. If you are interested ask on blurbusters forum for invite to private discord group, but you need to be open minded to this possibility that root of this problem is actually electricity not timers or "super secret registry tweaks" otherwise you will get banned very quickly. By the way Calypto is member of this group too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Currently we are working with version that it may be caused by harmonic distortion. The wave that is coming from your AC to pc and monitor should be ideally always pure sine wave if it is too much distorded that can create voltage fluctations that can harm electronics.
Let me quote one guy from reddit that actually explains this how this work

"Computers are dependent on clock cycles. It's like taking a snapshot of everything at one instant. To time the 'snapshots' there's a square wave. High is a 1, low is a 0. When it's high, the processor checks to see if anything has changed states (i.e if the mouse has moved or not).

If the ground is messed up, the low wouldn't look like a 0. So the computer may be waiting for the next cycle, but it never comes or it's delayed since the 'low' is still viewed as 'high'. When the ground randomly hits a lower threshold, the computer finally updates which could be the perceived lag. "

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,744 Posts
Hi.
One update on Cyberpunk 2077 and useplatformclock and useplatformtick.

1. My current bios no longer offer to turn HPET off.
2. Disabling it in Device manager also does not have any effect.

3. When both useplatformclock and useplatformtick are ON, Cyberpunk on my system goes to 30 FPS on 1080p.
4. When are both OFF, it runs on 60 FPS at 1080p, where i set Frame limit.
5. If not set in bcdedit, game runs on 60fps.

Few notes:
I enabled resizable bar in bios, and my GPU is supporting it. If old driver is used, FPS also drops to 30 as well, with current Catalyst 21.3.1 it runs well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Guys. As someone who have been struggling with input lag for 10 years and through this time i spend 8k euros on different pc setups, monitors ,keyboards , mouses , sound cards, network cards and as someone who owns his own debloated version twe windows 10 from 1607 up to 2004 with fr33thy's registry tweeks included i can tell you that all this tweeks is placebo. Every one of them. This was my first tweak guide i followed back when famous "CS ISNT SMOOTH" thread was created and i was also fr33thy die hard follower for half and year. If you want i can upload you windows 10 - 1607 , 1709 , 2004, 2009 clean and debloated as windows 7 with tools like interupt affinity policy tool, msi tool, radeonmod, autoruns contained in C:\Windows so you can easily run them from ALT+R. Really good stuff but yeah i have bad news for you, it is 110 % electricity problem. For now there is no 100 % fix this because many of us tried different things like buying power conditioners , buying online upses, changing stuff in main circuit board all this things somehow really affects how your both mouse and keyboard feels , it improved audio quallity aswell as quality of display clarity and sharpness. Doing this stuff like having a debloated version , having a tweaked bios (this actually can help) is nice but in the end DPC LATENCY DOES NOT AFFECT INPUT LAG. Just look at pro's you think players like furiousss or any other pro uses fancy tweaked debloated windows with no synthetic timers and stuff? you think any of this players cares about tweaking?. Just be honest to yourself and ask yourself why you are you still trying new things after all this years you spended tweaking stuff. Cus its always get bad right?. Sure this tweaking will help you with things such as faster boot or it is just comfortable to get 0 bloat and save some resources but if you want a better input buy a online ups and enjoy no input lag for week maybe more or less it all depends of power qualiity of your house and then it will slowly came back, like floaty mouse, heavy and slow feeling in games, muddy audio, desync in bullet registry and all stuff like this. If you are interested ask on blurbusters forum for invite to private discord group, but you need to be open minded to this possibility that root of this problem is actually electricity not timers or "super secret registry tweaks" otherwise you will get banned very quickly. By the way Calypto is member of this group too.
LOL you are troglodyte... No it is not electricity problem... I have no EMI issues! I disabled BCLK spread spectrum and have no problems. I don't notice any problems mentioned by people with EMI! There is grounding and have new electrical circuits in flat + new circuit breaker: so it should be fine.

Chief blur buster says e.g. spread spectrum increases input lag:
Besides he said even color profile can affect input lag!

Here you may want to read something about system latency, Windows affects latency greatly! Bad code and various things like HW acceleration, DWM, system services.

Yes! MSI affects input lag, because it provides better way of generating and delivering interrupts to a CPU: Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Yes DPC latency affect input lag, because of deadlocks and reduced system responsiveness. It can cause microstutters and input lag!

If it is all placebo, why do you think pros play on 1024x768 and lowest details and were disabling visual effects in windows and services? If it is all placebo? Otherwise not all pros do all this tweaking. Because same they won't allow you to touch some of settings (I think even BIOS sometimes) on these computers on LAN. So if they couldn't play on same setting, they wouldn't be consistent! Besides they don't have time, because they are practicing 8 hours per day least... Also tweaks only get you so far. But also it is basic requirement for being successful. Nvidia did studies and people on 360hz monitors can track target easier and aim faster: Introducing NVIDIA Reflex: Optimize and Measure Latency in Competitive Games

I was Supreme in CS GO and on clean install of Windows I couldn't kill even gold player...

Tests on pilots!

People can tell difference between 1000hz and 8000hz polling, that's like less than 1-2 ms difference. And you tell me this is all placebo...

Computers are complex system you have millions components, which can increase lag. Even if you have 1000 times 50 us lag, that's 5ms together... This all together can be measured on 1000 fps camera... You are just delusional...

·
Registered
618 Posts
  • Regarding MSI being better.. you're also ignoring the fact that there's completely different driver code handling MSI interrupts/dpcs, maybe MSI is better but is the code? For some it feels worst. What are the impacts of mixing MSI and Legacy interrupts, does MSI get priority?. By using MSI on one device it could negatively impact the experience of another.
  • There's other benefits of playing on lower resolutions such as better visibility of bullet holes/decals while shooting, generalized...at high resolutions its 1 pixel and at low its 4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL you are troglodyte... No it is not electricity problem... I have no EMI issues! I disabled BCLK spread spectrum and have no problems. I don't notice any problems mentioned by people with EMI! There is grounding and have new electrical circuits in flat + new circuit breaker: so it should be fine.

Chief blur buster says e.g. spread spectrum increases input lag:
Besides he said even color profile can affect input lag!

Here you may want to read something about system latency, Windows affects latency greatly! Bad code and various things like HW acceleration, DWM, system services.

Yes! MSI affects input lag, because it provides better way of generating and delivering interrupts to a CPU: Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Yes DPC latency affect input lag, because of deadlocks and reduced system responsiveness. It can cause microstutters and input lag!

If it is all placebo, why do you think pros play on 1024x768 and lowest details and were disabling visual effects in windows and services? If it is all placebo? Otherwise not all pros do all this tweaking. Because same they won't allow you to touch some of settings (I think even BIOS sometimes) on these computers on LAN. So if they couldn't play on same setting, they wouldn't be consistent! Besides they don't have time, because they are practicing 8 hours per day least... Also tweaks only get you so far. But also it is basic requirement for being successful. Nvidia did studies and people on 360hz monitors can track target easier and aim faster: Introducing NVIDIA Reflex: Optimize and Measure Latency in Competitive Games

I was Supreme in CS GO and on clean install of Windows I couldn't kill even gold player...

Tests on pilots!

People can tell difference between 1000hz and 8000hz polling, that's like less than 1-2 ms difference. And you tell me this is all placebo...

Computers are complex system you have millions components, which can increase lag. Even if you have 1000 times 50 us lag, that's 5ms together... This all together can be measured on 1000 fps camera... You are just delusional...
bwahahah. yea yea not electricity related problem totally..... tell me about dpc latency (SOFTWARE driver latency in nanoseconds) please oooh yeah ell my about that that my setup 9700k , 3200mhz cl16, rx 570 8gb,) 1ms keyboard, 1ms mice and 240 hz monitor cant handle csgo or even 1.6 smoothly on low res with 600+ fps. you are delusional my friend just ask yourself why are you still and still and still searching for new and new tweaks... after sometime input is still ****ed up right? :) this issue is not just about emi , electricity is very complex topic . Please tell me how my setup cant handle 1.6 on 640x480 how all that is windows composing fault even when i play exclusive fullscreen and **** is still present on all windows versions including windows 7 :). yeah dpc latency can cause microstutters but has totally nothing to do with input lag :). Its very simple if you have 1000hz mouse high refresh rate monitor, high average fps that can match your monitor refresh rate you should have like ZERO input lag and yet you still have it.I bet most of pro's have no idea what dpc latency and all of them are using bloated latest windows and they have no issues even with low avg fps because they are streaming.First guy who detailed described exact same symptoms of this problem like heavy strafing (input lag), ****ed up recoil (desync due input lag), floaty mouse in windows was guy called "schoof" , thread was called cs isnt smooth and was created back in 2009 in windows xp/ windows 7 and after later was closed or deleted i dont remember exactly but he created new thread in 2013 ( cs only runs normal after running it the first time (not only source engine games are affected but all games on steam!) fix for me: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/387#issuecomment-249436648 · Issue #387 · ValveSoftware/halflife ) and i remember in original thread there was a guy who had exact same symptoms for 7 years and he just could not figgure out, so if he had this issue for 7 years in 2009 that means he had this problem in 2002 !!! SO PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT SYNTHETIC TIMERS (when 3d apps automaticaly forces qpc timer when launched, this was confirmed by wintimer tester tool developer) AND DPC LATENCY AGAIN. and YEAH exatly even color profile can affect input lag (mb because less colors = less power usage or some electricity related change).Also most of people agree that this problem shines mostly on daytime and usually gets better during night. If you dont believe me just buy online ups and see the difference , its not fix , problem will be still present but maybe less painful. For now there is no actual fix for this, debloating windows just boost your boot time and can really help with fps but trust me it have nothing to do with this problem.... Im not saying that 1000hz vs 8000hz is placebo or even that lower res is placebo ofc not i know lower resolution better frametime so obviously less input lag, im saying that all software related tweaks and all this dpc latency hunting is PLA-CE-BO because is 100 % electricity related problem. Here is the demonstration on using windows P.S Uz si to konecne priznaj ze tvoje tweaky funguju len docasne ale nikdy nejsi a ani si nebol 100 % spokojny a rovnake hovna budes muset riesit aj na windows 7 ci xp a jedina vec co spravia je ze mozno na slabsich setupoch dokazes realne nejaky ten snimok za sekundu pridat ale neni to ten feel jak hrat v roku 2005 ze? :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
bwahahah. yea yea not electricity related problem totally..... tell me about dpc latency (SOFTWARE driver latency in nanoseconds) please oooh
O M E G A L U L flamewars here we go... I wasn't trying to trigger you, but I Am annoyed by people, which say it is all placebo, because it is not! I linked various things, which shows how input lag is generated...

FYI:
  • I have new cables in flat, after reconstruction
  • electricity should be grounded here AFAIK
  • there is new circuit-breaker
  • have PSU: RM650x 2018. and it is plugged into OV protected extension cable

I can disable BCLK spread spectrum and observe no problems!!! In opposite: it reduced input lag drastically! Ctrl+f: It can improve EMI-resistance but increase lag
Link: Electrical issue(s) | "Floaty" mouse? - Blur Busters Forums

You don't understand DPC latency. First, yes DPC latency is not direct measure of input lag! It is delay of how fast are interrupts handled by OS. These could be serviced in nano-seconds, but they can get up even into us/ms range. CPU can't do anything when handling interrupts. It will slow down overall system responsiveness and cause deadlocks. It is like domino and snowball effect. One thing will slow another thing, which will slow another thing and that will slow another... Which will cause input lag in the end! Badly coded drivers can indeed cause input lag by generating high DPC latency and slowing system responsiveness! And some mobos have even 1ms DPC latency!

Computers are complex systems, why do you think, nothing affects input lag, except electricity and what not? There are only millions of things, which can affect it, some most important:
  • HW: CPU, RAM, GPU, MOBO, timers, MONITOR, MOUSE & KEYBOARD, cables
  • SW: MOST IMPORTANT: kernel, game code, drivers code
Important: processes/services: (DWM and HID is known to cause major input lag) which cause CPU usage, HW accel, spyware, cleartype, visual effects

Not it is not efd. I was searching for tweaks, because I had fun improving. And I can tell input lag. I was Supreme in CS GO. I Am used to Windows 7 and super low input lag monitor, Windows 10 feels like **** to me...

A lot of input lag comes also from Windows... It is complex system and there are many things, which can cause lag! It has to do literally zero with your HW specs...

Pros... They don't allow them to tweak PC completely, or even change BIOS setting. So they don't tweak, because they wouldn't have same consistency on their setup, when they are playing. + not everyone cares, or is into computer stuff. Also pros spend all their time practicing :D TBH I saw pros tweaking visual effects and closing DWM/HID on Windows 7.

I bet most of pro's have no idea what dpc latency and all of them are using bloated latest windows and they have no issues even with low avg fps because they are streaming.
Why would streaming caused low fps, they can use pci-e card for capturing, or 2nd pc.

when 3d apps automaticaly forces qpc timer when launched
Except QPC only provides accurate information about system's high-resolution timer facilities. It can't schedule events to happen. It only used to test accuracy of Multimedia timers - like HPET and TSC, because it can run in 1us intervals.

Ctrl+f: So called high-resolution timer based on functions QueryPerformanceFrequency and QueryPerformanceCounter will not be taken into account because it can be used only to measure time intervals, and not to fire events in regular time intervals.
Source: Timers Tutorial

and YEAH exatly even color profile can affect input lag (mb because less colors = less power usage or some electricity related change)
What do you have with electricity all the time? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: it is because it takes monitor different time to change pixels, or could affect graphical rendering. There is no information about color profiles, no idea how they exactly work! Besides they are used so colors render accurately on different types of devices.

Source: windows color profile for lowest input lag - Page 2 - Blur Busters Forums
Ctrl+f: While I know that ICC profiles can be lagless and not a problem at all

I discern no difference between daytime and night.

im saying that all software related tweaks and all this dpc latency hunting is PLA-CE-BO because is 100 % electricity related problem.
No it is not LOL. Software can take cpu cycles, or slow down system and what not. It is not easy. There is huge complexity, could be million things!!! It general advice to close any programs running on background... E.g. programs which use HW acceleration like browsers, if you turn this off cause immense input lag!!!

P.S Uz si to konecne priznaj ze tvoje tweaky funguju len docasne ale nikdy nejsi a ani si nebol 100 % spokojny a rovnake hovna budes muset riesit aj na windows 7 ci xp a jedina vec co spravia je ze mozno na slabsich setupoch dokazes realne nejaky ten snimok za sekundu pridat ale neni to ten feel jak hrat v roku 2005 ze?
Jsem docela spokejeny s input lagem ted. Ale porad hledam nove tweaky, hraju porad FPS a VR a uzivam si nizky input :cool:

RTX 3070
2x8GB 3200 mhz cl16 g.skill trident z
mobo: asus z390-i gaming
i5-9600kf
PSU: RM650x 2018.

HAHAHA this guy is so mad, he sent me like 20 private messages at the same time. OK I Am done...

·
Registered
6 Posts
O M E G A L U L flamewars here we go... I wasn't try to trigger you, but I Am annoyed by people, which say it is all placebo, because it is not! I linked various things, which shows how input lag is generated...

FYI:

I can disable BCLK spread spectrum and observe no problems!!! In opposite: it reduced input lag drastically! Ctrl+f: It can improve EMI-resistance but increase lag

You don't understand DPC latency. First, yes DPC latency is not direct measure of input lag! It is delay of how fast are interrupts handled by OS. These could be serviced in nano-seconds, but they can get up even into us/ms range. CPU can't do anything when handling interrupts. It will slow down overall system responsiveness and cause deadlocks. It is like domino and snowball effect. One thing will slow another thing, which will slow another thing and that will slow another... Which will cause input lag in the end! Badly coded drivers can indeed cause input lag by generating high DPC latency and slowing system responsiveness! And some mobos have even 1ms DPC latency!

Computers are complex systems, why do you think, nothing affects input lag, except electricity and what not? There are only millions of things, which can affect it, some most important:
Important: processes/services: (DWM and HID is known to cause major input lag) which cause CPU usage, HW accel, spyware, cleartype, visual effects

Not it is not efd. I was searching for tweaks, because I had fun improving. And I can tell input lag. I was Supreme in CS GO. I Am used to Windows 7 and super low input lag monitor, Windows 10 feels like **** to me...

A lot of input lag comes also from Windows... It is complex system and there are many things, which can cause lag! It has to do literally zero with your HW specs...

Pros... They don't allow them to tweak PC completely, or even change BIOS setting. So they don't tweak, because they wouldn't have same consistency on their setup, when they are playing. + not everyone cares, or is into computer stuff. Also pros spend all their time practicing :D TBH I saw pros tweaking visual effects and closing DWM/HID on Windows 7.

Why would streaming caused low fps, they can use pci-e card for capturing, or 2nd pc.

Except QPC only provides accurate information about system's high-resolution timer facilities. It can't schedule events to happen. It only used to test accuracy of Multimedia timers - like HPET and TSC, because it can run in 1us intervals.

Ctrl+f: So called high-resolution timer based on functions QueryPerformanceFrequency and QueryPerformanceCounter will not be taken into account because it can be used only to measure time intervals, and not to fire events in regular time intervals.

What do you have with electricity all the time? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: it is because it takes monitor different time to change pixels, or could affect graphical rendering. There is no information about color profiles, no idea how they exactly work! Besides they are used so colors render accurately on different types of devices.

No it is not LOL. Software can take cpu cycles, or slow down system and what not. It is not easy. There is huge complexity, could be million things!!! It general advice to close any programs running on background... E.g. programs which use HW acceleration like browsers, if you turn this off cause immense input lag!!!

Jsem docela spokejeny s input lagem ted. Ale porad hledam nove tweaky, hraju porad FPS a VR a uzivam si nizky input :cool:

RTX 3070
i5-9600kf
tl;dr ,
O M E G A L U L flamewars here we go... I wasn't trying to trigger you, but I Am annoyed by people, which say it is all placebo, because it is not! I linked various things, which shows how input lag is generated...

FYI:

Source: windows color profile for lowest input lag - Page 2 - Blur Busters Forums
Ctrl+f: While I know that ICC profiles can be lagless and not a problem at all

RTX 3070
i5-9600kf

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,794 Posts
Man, imagine if you did ALL of these tweaks and are winning gaming competitions too. I would bow to that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, imagine if you did ALL of these tweaks and are winning gaming competitions too. I would bow to that.
Actually i was using tweaks since 2014 starting with this guide, actually i did my own 1607,1709,1909,20h2, windows versions with ntlite that are all debloated and with fr33thy's registry tweaks, actually after some time pc went **** again with no change in fps and with very low dpc, also having temps like 40 c idle ( tweaked bios with very stable oc with bitsum highest performance ) AND actually guess what , it became ****ty and slow with no reason after some hours AGAIN. Now using a online ups at 60 hz ( 50 hz is standart in my country) did day and ****ing night difference and now iam running latest windows build , untouched just basic tweaks like disabling annoying xbox live or notifications and difference is HUGE. Just look how my system is responsive, how tabs are popping out instantly how smooth and precise is my cursor when i move mouse in horizontal way.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,630 Posts
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the uncertainty principal and quantum entanglement in how it relates to the optics within a mouse.

From what we know about the dual slit experiment that light can be either a wave or a fixed beam depending on how it's being observed and measured. Therefore you must keep an eye on your mouse when you need the best response time. This will ensure that the light/optical array the mouse uses to guide itself will be forced to collapse into a beam instead of a wave which will give you much better accuracy when aiming.

• Rep+
Reactions: T.Sharp and 8800GT

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the uncertainty principal and quantum entanglement in how it relates to the optics within a mouse.

From what we know about the dual slit experiment that light can be either a wave or a fixed beam depending on how it's being observed and measured. Therefore you must keep an eye on your mouse when you need the best response time. This will ensure that the light/optical array the mouse uses to guide itself will be forced to collapse into a beam instead of a wave which will give you much better accuracy when aiming.
The only way you can look at a light wave is if it goes in your eye, which means it won't go in the mouse sensor, which will most definitely lag you out very, very badly.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,630 Posts
The only way you can look at a light wave is if it goes in your eye, which means it won't go in the mouse sensor, which will most definitely lag you out very, very badly.
It's not about the sensor being visible to your eyes, it's about the mouse being observed so that it collapses from a wave function into solid matter.

Don't quote me if you're not going to take this seriously.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Good sites for tweak, don't use them all of course, but there are many I didn't even know about. like I needed to enable the UDP Offload support because it was turned off!

Netsh int udp show global

netsh int udp set global enabled

UDP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive Offload State : enabled

netsh winsock set autotuning on

Enable Auto-Tuning: Auto-tuning enables dynamic send buffering for overall better throughput.

netsh int tcp show security

netsh int tcp set security mpp=disable

Disable Packet Coalescing: Packet Coalescing is used to group both random and multicast traffic for efficiency.
This should be disabled for gaming and where lower latency is desired at the expense of a bit higher CPU utilization.

Set-NetOffloadGlobalSetting -PacketCoalescingFilter disabled

share gaming tweaks and chec my comprehensive list will blow your mind - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)
Tweaking - tweakradje (google.com)

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,744 Posts
Good sites for tweak, don't use them all of course, but there are many I didn't even know about. like I needed to enable the UDP Offload support because it was turned off!

Netsh int udp show global

netsh int udp set global enabled

UDP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive Offload State : enabled

Enable Auto-Tuning: Auto-tuning enables dynamic send buffering for overall better throughput.

netsh int tcp show security

netsh int tcp set security mpp=disable

Disable Packet Coalescing: Packet Coalescing is used to group both random and multicast traffic for efficiency.
This should be disabled for gaming and where lower latency is desired at the expense of a bit higher CPU utilization.

Set-NetOffloadGlobalSetting -PacketCoalescingFilter disabled

share gaming tweaks and chec my comprehensive list will blow your mind - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)
Tweaking - tweakradje (google.com)
On similar topic:

TCPnodelay and ACK frequency...

·
Registered
2 Posts
disabling onboard audio (HD AUDIO on my z490 rog BIOS) I dont have any sound at all. How to fix it:

BIOS

UEFI vs Legacy boot
Legacy with CSM enabled tends to give me a more traditional mouse movement feel, while the times I've tested UEFI with CSM off, it gave me a more floaty mouse cursor type movement. This setting will probably be very subjective to a lot of people depending on what mouse, mouse settings, and surface you use, but my experience so far is that legacy tends to be better with a more classic mouse movement.

1) BCLK: you want this to be 100.00, not 100 point random number. The closest you can get this to 100.00, the better. Many board makers have BCLK overclocking features built into their BIOS to try and cheat at benchmarks for hardware review sites. The Gigabyte z77 UD5H is one example of this. Leaving BCLK at AUTO, or manually setting it to 100.00 gets you an unwanted number like 100.1 on the UD5H. Manually setting it to 100.01 gets me 100.03. This is the closest to a flat 100 I can get on this board due to spread spectrum being a hidden setting. Disable spread spectrum to try and fix the last part if you can.

2) Memory Strap / Memory Multiplier: Since this is an overclocking website, many people love to crank this number as high as it can go. The only problem is, high bandwidth and the resulting high latency is not conducive to a positive game play experience. The ram I have installed can do 2133mhz @ 11-11-11-28, but 1600mhz @ 7-8-7-24 provides a much better feeling mouse response. Some people will claim the difference is impossible to feel, but I assure you that it is, at least once you have eliminated all other sources of high latency in your system. This is also due to 133 vs 100 memory ratios. 100:100 with 1600mhz should obviously provide better results since it matches BCLK. If you cannot tell the difference between changing settings like this in mouse response, you most likely have other latency bottlenecks.

3) Turbo Boost/C-States/EIST/Thermal Monitor/Etc: You want to disable as many of these as possible because they bring a lot of lag. On the Asus Z77 board, using a Steelseries firmware updater for a mouse seems to fail on Win8 if you disable "C3 State Report" and "C6 State Report". I didn't have this issue on the Gigabyte board, so it seems to vary by motherboard.

4) PWM Phase Control - Set this to max phases. There's a noticeable difference between auto with power saving modes turned on and maximum phases on most motherboards.

5) Hyper Threading - If you disable HPET, you most likely do not want to run any virtual cores.

6) Vcore - Usually best to manually set Vcore since it seems to disable dynamic power features on some motherboards. Large difference between manual setting Vcore and auto on my Asus z77, but not as big on Gigabyte z77.

7) PEG Gen3 Slot Configuration: I get better results by manually setting this instead of leaving it on auto. Set it to Gen3 if you have an Ivy Bridge or higher CPU + a PCI-E 3.0 GPU, otherwise, use Gen2.

8) Execute Disable Bit I disable it just because the odds of any negative effects outweigh the security benefit. Traditionally a setting disabled by overclockers anyway.

9) Intel Virtualization Technology - disabled for any gaming PC obviously. Virtualization and it's services tend to be resource heavy and no reason to have it on for a gaming PC.

10) 1394 controller - disable in order to reduce DPC latency unless you actually use it for some reason, probably 99% of people don't.

11) xHCI pre-boot driver / xHCI mode / xHCI hand-off - Long story short, you want as few USB controllers active at once as possible, and I would say mice perform objectively worse on USB 3 controllers. Raising bandwidth on the same architecture tends to require more buffering and latency, so it's not hard to see why USB 3 would be worse for mice.

12) eHCI hand-off - No reason to have this turned on for Win7 or higher. Win7 should natively support USB 2.0, so disable it.

13) On-board audio - Disable. Enormous input lag.

14) On-board video - Disable unless you actually use it.

15) HPET (High Precision Event Timer) - disable to dramatically lower mouse lag and DPC latency

Explanation from software engineer for why TSC is superior and HPET should never be forced as the default clock except in a server environment:

Copy of email from a software engineer about TSC vs HPET:FWIW, I wanted to p - Pastebin.com

16) Secondary ATA controllers (Marvell, etc) - disable to lower DPC latency

17) Secondary LAN - disable to lower DPC latency

18) Legacy USB support - usually have to leave this enabled in order to get back into the BIOS but sometimes will have better mouse response with it off. Varies highly by motherboard. Some boards will have out of control cursor movement with it off for some reason.

19) LLC and PLL Overvoltage - I've tested these a lot, and although people overclocking like to utilize them, I've found they do strange things to mouse movement. Generally anything involved with ramping up voltage response on the motherboard tends to make it feel like you have less a dead zone on the mouse where it's easier to overshoot with the cursor. I prefer to have both of these options off and seemed to dislike the effect of PLL overvoltage more than high LLC. You need to set PLL overvoltage to off instead of auto, because auto usually means turned on.

Asus Specific Section

Ai overclock tuner
- Manual
Asus Multicore Enhancement - Disabled
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
CPU bus sped : DRAM Speed Ratio - 100:100
Memory Frequency - 1600 mhz
EPU Power Saving Mode - Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology - Disabled
Turbo Mode - Disabled
CPU C1E - Disabled
Package C State Support - Disabled
C3 report - as mentioned earlier, having C3 and C6 off on the Asus Z77 board causes the Steelseries firmware updater tool to fail on Win8. I'm not sure if it causes any other problems. Try with them on and off and see if you notice any issues. Maybe Steelseries just don't know how to code a firmware updater. You can probably turn them off without any other issues.
C6 report - see above

Digi+ Power control

CPU Load Line Calibration
- Regular
CPU Voltage Frequency - Auto
VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled
CPU Power Phase Control - Extreme
CPU Power Duty Control - Extreme
CPU Power Response Control - Regular
Dram Voltage Frequency - Auto
Dram Power Phase Control - Extreme

CPU Voltage - Manual (you have to manually input a voltage, mine is 1.07 for stock Ivy Bridge, don't leave it on auto, it makes a big difference on this board. You don't have to change any of the other voltages though besides maybe RAM)
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
BCLK Recovery - Disabled
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor - Disabled
Hyper Threading - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Disabled
Intel Virtualization - Disabled
S.M.A.R.T. Status Check - Disabled
High Precision Timer - Disabled
Intel Rapid Start - Disabled
Intel Smart Connect - Disabled
Initiate Graphic Adapter - PCIE
iGPU Multi-Monitor - Disabled
Render Standby - Disabled
PCIEx16_1 Link Speed - manually set to Gen3. If you have older than an Ivy Bridge CPU or a PCIE 2.0 video card, then manually set it to Gen2.
Intel USB 2.0 EHCI controller - Enabled
Legacy USB Support - for most motherboards this is better off, this board is kind of a mystery. It doesn't detect USB sticks properly after turning it off and might cause issues with mouse functionality as well. Seems to be a no win situation either way.
Legacy USB 3.0 support - Disabled
Intel xHCI mode - Disabled
EHCI Hand-off - Disabled
HD Audio Controller - Disabled
Bluetooth - Disabled
Wi-fi controller - Disabled
Marvell Storage - Disabled
ASM1061 Storage Controller - Disabled
Asmedia USB 3.0 controller - Disabled
Overvoltage protection - Disabled (it's under the monitor tab at bottom)
Wait for F1 if Error - Disabled

If you're using Win 8.1, here's the 22 step Windows 8.1 install guide with all services and settings included

Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for...

How to run or re-run Windows experience index in Win 8.1

Why many people have horrible mouse movement and...

De-crapifying Win 10 v 0.1 post
Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for...

Software

1) Intel Chipset Software - Don't need to install it if your chipset already has drivers covered in Win8.1

2) Intel Management Engine Interface - Don't install. Latency fest related to Vpro and other stuff most people don't use.

3) Lucid MVP - don't install, latency fest, useless

4) Java uninstall it and other malware with a resident memory footprint

5) Mouse software uninstall and use on-board memory settings because 99% of mouse software is coded poorly and turns native DPI steps into interpolated while it's intalled / active, totally defeating the purpose of a gaming mouse in the first place.

6) Intel Rapid Storage - I don't use RST because it has more latency than the default Microsoft one, although it probably performs better.

7) Intel Network Connections Ethernet Driver - Don't install if your driver is already included in Win 8.1. If using Win7, then during the install screen, you want to uncheck "Proset" and "advanced teaming and VLAN" section.

The 19.3 driver also has huge problems on Z77 and maybe other boards. I would use an earlier version such as 19.0 instead. Version 19.3 + 19.5 causes constant 6000 DPC spikes and is probably the worst driver I've ever seen:

9) Adobe Flash - much like Java, this program adds a large amount of system latency. Some people can't live without it though.

Windows Components

To get to these, you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > "Turn Windows features on or Off"

Windows 7 Section

1) Windows Gadget Platform - The first two items in this list give you a noticeable change on desktop mouse response. I'm not sure which one does the most since I disable both at the same time.

2) Tablet PC Components - see above description

3) Uninstall Internet Exploder 8 - Updating IE in Win 7 gets you other Windows updates that you may or may not want like KB2670838.

Windows 8 Section

Uninstall the following until the menu looks like this:

• Internet Exploder 11 - first turn smooth scrolling off in options menu of IE, then under the about section, turn off automatic updating for it
  • Print and document services
  • SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support
  • Windows Location Provider
  • Windows Powershell 2.0
  • Work folders client
  • XPS services
  • XPS viewer

Services

If your mouse doesn't feel snappy enough at this point, you should try disabling the following Windows services in this order:

1) Print Spooler - I always disable this because Microsoft seems to give a lot of priority to what the printer wants

2) Windows Defender - This one is hugely noticeable in Win8 and still pretty easy to notice in Win7. Go to the start menu, in the search box type "Windows Defender" and open it. Go to Tools/Options, then go to the last tab at the bottom and uncheck the box labeled "Use this Program". It turns off the service and sets the service to manual automatically.

3) Windows Search - can get rid of it

4) Defrag - type defrag in windows search box, turn off scheduled defrag

5) Windows Update - Set service to manual instead of automatic and it will not start unless you need it instead of running 24/7

6) Human Interface Device Access - This service runs things like volume Up/Down buttons on the keyboard, but it also has a large effect on mouse movement and makes one of the biggest differences on the list. Some people might prefer mouse movement with it on, but most will probably like it off. If you plug in a Kana v2 mouse with a PS/2 keyboard installed and this service set to manual, the service doesn't launch. It's mostly used for keyboards and some mice that have keyboard emulation for macros.

7) Superfetch - Win 7 usually disables this by default if you're running an SSD after you let your system idle, but Win 8 keeps it running for TRIM scheduling. I would disable it in both Win7 and Win8 and then turn off superfetch and prefetch in the registry afterwards.

8) Time Broker (Win8 only) - If you want to disable metro apps, you can't set the service to disabled using the service manager and have to do it with regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker

Change the "Start" key to 4 instead of 3 to disable it

SSD Registry Settings

If your boot drive is an SSD, first you need to disable the superfetch service, then change the following registry settings:

Hkey_Local_Machine > System > Current Control Set > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters

And change the following two settings to "0" instead of "3":

1) EnablePrefetcher - unneeded for SSD
2) EnableSuperfetch - unneeded for SSD

Keyboard - A PS/2 keyboard with no USB devices plugged in except the mouse is the most optimal setup for mouse movement. I personally use brown switches with 40A-R o-rings. The travel distance is way too high without the o-rings. I don't like red switches that much because they're more prone to error and misclicks in both typing and gaming.

If forced to use USB, you don't want a keyboard with a 1000hz polling rate because USB controllers aren't good at handling multiple high polling rate devices at the same time, so get a 125hz one if using USB. You also don't want to have any other USB devices like gamepads or phones plugged in while you aren't using them either.

Some PS/2 and USB keyboards can cause issues though. The Steelseries 6gv2 I tested caused really bogged down cursor movement in both USB and PS/2 mode for some reason:

Never seen a keyboard cause swamp cursor till the...

Sound

1) Set your bitrate to 16bit 44.1k, anything higher causes a huge hit to mouse response.

2) Settings like CMSS, EAX, Crystallizer, etc, all need to be disabled

Nvidia issues that cause lag

Nvidia has something in device manager on Win8.1 called "Nvidia Virtual Audio" that's used when streaming to a mobile device. This is a lagfest that needs to be disabled. You probably want to disable the Nvidia HDMI audio in device manager as well under the sound section.

Nvidia specific software

*Somewhere between the "miracle driver" and 344.11 drivers, the Nvidia input lag issues seem to have been greatly fixed. *

This is what your Nvidia control panel should look like. Anti aliasing does add latency, so I force it off. Texture filtering is going to occur regardless, so it doesn't really matter what you set your anisotropic filtering to.

Your Desktop scaling section of the control panel should be set to "Display - No scaling" like the following picture. I noticed a very annoying software issue when testing if there was any lag difference in my 570 reference card and 970 GTX. Cursor movement seems to go to crap after you change the scaling setting from whatever it was when the driver was first installed. So basically, on a fresh install, you want to install the Nvidia driver, go in and change the scaling tab to "Display - No Scaling", then uninstall the driver, reinstall it, and never touch that setting again. Sometimes just rebooting will fix it though.

Leaving scaling on anything else incurs a large amount of input lag, even in native resolution. "GPU - No scaling" is also much laggier than the "Display - No Scaling" setting. This is bad because if you plug in a Korean IPS panel, or any panel in with no hardware scaler, it forces you to use the extremely laggy "GPU - No Scaling" mode.

The only solution to this, is to use a custom .inf file and revert to a much older driver (267.59), before the scaling module was rewritten, then you can pick the "no scaling" option in the following picture for a lag free experience. You have to make sure that you don't install Windows update KB2670838 or Internet Explorer 10 (installs that update with it), or you will get blue screen page faults with older Nvidia + ATI drivers.

Misc. Section

Chrome/Chromium
- tends to be overly GPU accelerated. Even after turning off hardware acceleration in settings, my GPU still goes to max 3d clocks while just browsing text pages on the internet. If you type "about:flags" in the browser, you can get to some GPU acceleration settings to disable, but my GPU won't go to idle clocks with Chromium unless I add "--disable-gpu" to the shortcut icon.

You will want to disable directwrite and accelerated 2d canvas in the about:flags menu to get rid of fuzzy text from crappy pixel aliasing.

Steam you will want to disable directwrite in the options menu of Steam because directwrite acceleration of text in browsers seems to bog down the cursor while they're open. Disable all the streaming options and other junk they're tossing in too.

Firefox disable hardware acceleration, automatic updates, crash reporter, etc, then go into the add-on section and disable automatic updates for the Cisco graphics plugin they've included for some unknown reason. I disable updates on it then turn it off myself.

DPC Latency

DPC Latency is mostly a measure of how ready, willing, and able a non-real time OS is to deal with requests from the user. It's not a measure of input lag, but will give you a good idea of possible problematic devices. You should get to around 28-32 if you can't disable HPET in the BIOS, or maybe as low as the screenshot from my system if you can:

4281 - 4300 of 4303 Posts