Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it goin everybody?

Well here's my build I'm working on. Primary use will be gaming. I'm not new to system building but let's just say the last system I built was back when IDE drives were still popular and SATA was relatively new. My budget is around $1600 w/o peripherals (already have monitor, mouse, kb, etc.)

Here's what I'm upgrading from:

ASUS G72GX Laptop
nVidia GTX 260M (1GB)
6GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz

Here's what I'm lookin at: EDIT - SOME ITEMS ADJUSTED ACCORDING TO INPUT

Case: CM HAF X
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
CPU Cooling: Noctua D14
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (7-8-7-24-2N)
PSU: Antec TPQ-850
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SATA II
Video: ZOTAC AMP! GTX 480

Input welcome.
LL

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
well you only need one of those ram kits. 8gb is completely overkill for gaming.
great choice on the gpu, but just so you know you can get them for 40$ cheaper (i think palit ones) on mwave
also that cooler will be able to easily give you 4-4.1ghz on that motherboard, so a biostar 890fx will probably be a better match even though its slightly more expensive

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Hi dmez and welcome to OCN.

I'd change the RAM for this G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 are a little more expensive but has better performance. Like maxhudson says 8GB are overkill and only useful when u work with many Adobe applications at the same time.

If u can go with the H70 instead of the H50, the H70 has better performance but also cost more Corsair H70[/b]

The 1055T can hit the 4GHz without problems

• Rep+
Reactions: silvester

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick input guys, whats the performance difference in the H70 over the H50? If the H50 can take me to at least 3.8 without risk/worry I'll stick with that.

Dropping one set of the RAM does give me a lil more play room. I've just always gone by "Windows is RAM hungry, get more RAM".

Speaking of windows, Home Premium vs Prof?

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
The H70 has a better radiator means better cooling for the liquid.

Win 7 x64 works perfect with 4GB like I say 8GB or more are useful for Adobe or Autocad applications. I'd go with Windows Professional.

·
Registered
355 Posts
+ On the H70,I think it is really nice,seen some good reviews out there.
+ On the 4 GB or RAM , since 8 GB is a complete overkill.
I think there is not much for me to add, except that instead of a 470,I think you should go with a 460 HAWK and overclock it.The 460 is for me the best card out there and i think you should get one.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmez View Post
Thanks for the quick input guys, whats the performance difference in the H70 over the H50? If the H50 can take me to at least 3.8 without risk/worry I'll stick with that.

Dropping one set of the RAM does give me a lil more play room. I've just always gone by "Windows is RAM hungry, get more RAM".

Speaking of windows, Home Premium vs Prof?
3.8 will be like slicing warm butter with an h50

the h70 isnt worth the money in this situation.

for gaming you will probably never use more than 3gb or so

W7 HP has less security and buisness features than pro. just get home premium.

With that extra play room you should be able to step up to a gtx 480 which would be awesome

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Your case is the same as mine don't fear the GPU OC. In my old case (RAID MAX: Ninja) my MSI GTX 470 would hit 90C on stock settings. Since I upgraded to the Antek 900 I am able to clock 800/1600/1800 tested with OCCT and my GPU never hit over 93C. Now when I play games I have yet to see temps reach over 82C.

Nice build I think you will be very happy with it.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvester View Post
I think there is not much for me to add, except that instead of a 470,I think you should go with a 460 HAWK and overclock it.The 460 is for me the best card out there and i think you should get one.
that is complete bullsht. a moderatley OCed 470 will rape a 460 any day of the millennium

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about the HDD's? worth it for how I have it set up, or drop it down to just one and bump up the VC to a 480?

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thoughts on the HDD's, was also contemplating the Mobo for an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update (also in first post)

HDD's now - 1x Samsung F3 1TB and a Crucial RealSSD 64GB
Video - EVGA GTX 480
RAM - 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
The ASUS mobo is more expensive that the Gigabyte that u post in the 1st page. The Gigabyte has very good performance and OC very well but if u want go with the ASUS is also a good mobo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ASUS are actually cheaper, the Gigabyte is 189, 179 after discount. The ASUS is 145.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually MOBO aside, what im kinda worried about is the PSU. Will 700W be enough?

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
ohh right my bad, the chipset is different and the ASUS comes with onboard video that I don't like it for a gaming rig and only support 2-Way Crossfire while the Gigabyte support 3-Way Crossfire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for updates:

Case: Antec 1200
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (planning to OC, 4.0+)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 - F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (4GB - 2x2GB)
Video: ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40102-10P GeForce GTX 480
PSU: Corsair TX750 (750W)
HDD: 1x Crucial RealSSD C300-64GB + Lian Li 2.5" bracket, 1x Samsung F3-1TB
CPU Cooling: Noctua D14

Upped the case from a 902 to a 1200 (expandability + size of the Noctua D14)
Corsair TX750 instead of the Silverstone 700W
ZOTAC GTX 480 vs the EVGA reference for better cooling.
Noctua D14 cooled instead of H50/70 due to reviews/test results.

^thoughts on updates appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmez View Post
Bump for updates:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (planning to OC, 4.0+)
HDD: 1x Crucial RealSSD C300-64GB + Lian Li 2.5" bracket, 1x Samsung F3-1TB
Bear in mind that there is a newer version of that cpu with 95W consumption instead of 125W.

I made the same choice for SSD but I doubled them for raid-0 to increase the read speeds. Other than that, good choice.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts