Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a NZXT Tempest 210 for a gaming rig. Purely out of the fact that Xbox One will not cut my need for gaming. Its been a long time standing that I've wanted to get back into pc gaming so this is it.

With that said my plans are to dual cast on xbox and pc, gaming, and such. More of less sharing the same monitor/tv. I've got a 42" that ill be using so don't need a monitor.

I may be going with intel this time around so which gpu within that $200-250 range will support that large of a resolution, capture, and support semi high-end game demands. 65+ fps would be nice.

Which CPU, Mobo, and a power supply?

Ill prolly utilize an SSD to run the OS on and install a decent capacity HDD for music, movies, games and saves.

Or... is utilizing an SSD for running the OS not cool anymore. I believe it was a couple years ago. Perhaps, vice versa or utilizing dual SSD for boot up, operation and storage?

Anyways, I'm not worried about a budget as I plan to take my time but anything over $250 isn't worth my time. New born in bound... another reason why I want to build an upgradeable rig and get back into computers so my son will grow up and enjoy them like I did growing up.

Anyways, any help and suggestions would be nice as far as the case I've chosen. NZXT Tempest 210. I may upgrade the case next year or whenever it becomes insufficient to my needs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,919 Posts
well 1080p is the common factor and a 200 - 250 $ gpu card will not cut it!

forget the SSD and pour the money into a graphics card
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No SSD for the OS? I thought it would be best for boot up and operation speeds or was that proven to be bad after tha last couple if uears since its release?

I will prolly jump on to entry level gpus.

Which AMD mobos will support this?
Which Intel mobos will support this?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a list similar to what I'm looking for. I might run 2 graphics cards in the future for 2 way SLI. Not worried about OC or Cross fire. Maybe for my next rig or a tear-down rebuild of this one.

Anyways, pick and change what whatever would help satisfy my needs for me please. Thanks!

EDIT: I went over the list and stuff just didn't make sense. So I went into PCPP and made a list up of some of the parts that seemed like it best suited my need for performance and money. Everything totaling to less than $700. With case added in, it would of been about $740+
Quote:
-CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($97.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Some advice would be most appreciative. Again, I'm not looking to get into OC, Crossfire, or running SLI just yet. Entry level is where I'm starting off so what do y'all think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be changing the list up. A friend of mine shed some light in the amd 8-core in that list versus the Intel price alternate

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts
If you want a gaming build then a Corsair CX PSU does not belong in a system like that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intel i5 4670k (plus mobo) and changing the gpu to an EVGA gtx 770 for a 2-/+ year proofing. With that, cpu benchmark would be boasted by 1.0 and obviously the gpu would simply be a better choice for about $40-$50 more.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

If you want a gaming build then a Corsair CX PSU does not belong in a system like that
What would be a better choice for a rig that would be mostly used for gaming but also for video rendering and 3d modeling and graphics design?

I do believe with the change I would need to increase to a higher PSU but which brand and model would be best suited for a price around the same or maybe a little bit more?

I'm going off of some other builds and reviews honestly. I've no experience with current tech parts. Thanks for all and any help.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyillness View Post

Intel i5 4670k (plus mobo) and changing the gpu to an EVGA gtx 770 for a 2-/+ year proofing. With that, cpu benchmark would be boasted by 1.0 and obviously the gpu would simply be a better choice for about $40-$50 more.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I would go with the i5 3570k if you do not plan on overclocking just yet. When you're ready to, it is VERY capable. Grab that and a MSI Z77a-G45 mobo and your 770's and you're golden!
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyillness View Post

What would be a better choice for a rig that would be mostly used for gaming but also for video rendering and 3d modeling and graphics design?

I do believe with the change I would need to increase to a higher PSU but which brand and model would be best suited for a price around the same or maybe a little bit more?

I'm going off of some other builds and reviews honestly. I've no experience with current tech parts. Thanks for all and any help.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
A thing you sould know about PSU is almost every brand out there does not make anything they sell but buys it all from a OEM in Asia

This is something not many knows which means you cant go by brand you need to look into who really made it

Anyway where are you from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Vs. the 3570k, I'd rather stick with this as it will serve a higher purpose later. It can now be had for just shy of $200 on amazon I believe. So $20 more, ill be set for my set time goal till upgrades are absolutely necessary.

- Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Z77 wasnt on the part pickers list. Ill search for it. I'm torn between which mobo to get though. Is the Z77 similar but just older?

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Will probably upgrade within the first couple of months when the rig is operating.

- Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card

- Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid

- Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Better? Lol.

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for all thses posts. Tapatalk won't let me edit my posts.

I live in North Carolina.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyillness View Post

- CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Vs. the 3570k, I'd rather stick with this as it will serve a higher purpose later. It can now be had for just shy of $200 on amazon I believe. So $20 more, ill be set for my set time goal till upgrades are absolutely necessary.

- Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Z77 wasnt on the part pickers list. Ill search for it. I'm torn between which mobo to get though. Is the Z77 similar but just older?

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Will probably upgrade within the first couple of months when the rig is operating.

- Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

- Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card

- Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid

- Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Better? Lol.

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Ahh i forgot you mentioned this was a gaming build. I would compare the "Gaming" MSI to the z77. They are fairly similar, the only difference i see besides the asthetics is that the use a different LAN Chipset and that the Gaming board supports higher clocked ram. So not really any major difference, up to what you like!
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's funny is that was actually my original PSU choice but after reading a couple reviews about people being skeptical about them. I'll go with the capstone 550m.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyillness View Post

What's funny is that was actually my original PSU choice but after reading a couple reviews about people being skeptical about them. I'll go with the capstone 550m.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
They are Super Flower Golden Green thats been rebranded and sold by Rosewill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know that means but okay. If its "sworn by" then why not.

Also, I looked into that Z77 and it sounds amazing. Plus, its way cheaper than the Z84 so why not. If all else fails, ill upgrade mobos later on. I believe the z84 would be overkill for everything else im planning to install.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,112 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyillness View Post

I don't know that means but okay. If its "sworn by" then why not.

Also, I looked into that Z77 and it sounds amazing. Plus, its way cheaper than the Z84 so why not. If all else fails, ill upgrade mobos later on. I believe the z84 would be overkill for everything else im planning to install.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Z77 will be amazing for this build. MSI is great quality and the board should overclock easily when you want to. Also it's got SATA 6Gb/s ports which will be great for your SSD boot drive if you go that direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jking, that's exactly what I was thinking when I started reading the specs. I appreciate that find.

Ill order mobo, psu, and some fans next week and see how I want to configure everything.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top