hi everyone, building a gaming rig soon this is what i was thinking:
Intel Quad Core QX6700
2x8800gtx XfX
OCZ DDR2 4G PC2-4200 Value Pro Series Dual Channel 4-4-4-8
Asus Extreme Striker Socket 775 Nforce 680i
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fata1ity XtremeGamer
Cooling...recommend
Windows Xp
Not sure what power supply please help....
Case....Need help deciding but i want a nice one!
2x74gb raptors in raid
2x750gb segate

What you guys think, Suggestions Please

·
Banned
931 Posts
Tuniq Tower if you want air cooling and a Swiftech or DD water cooling setup if you want water cooling. You could also go phase if you want to, since it doesn't look like money is too much of a problem.

I would go with a Lian-Li full tower case or a Thermaltake Armor. It will give you enough space to put all that stuff.

Also, since you didn't put a HDD, I would suggest 4 Seagate 250GB Perps in RAID10 or just RAID0 for 1TB of space, plus very very fast loading times.

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
Do not get OCZ Ram. Get G. Skill HZ Ram or Crucial Ballistix. Also, that sound card, get a bluegears B-Enspirer. Oh, and eVGA, in my opinion, is better than XFX, but it's whatever you want.

A nice case would be ThermalTake Armor, Antec P180/B, or Antec Nine Hundred. And as far as power supplies go I'd get the PCP&C 750W Silencer or maybe the 850W SilverStone PSU. And I agree with Todd, but, get 2x250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 HDD in Raid 0 for 500GB of space and Raptor speeds.

Links will follow shortly!
[OCN] Ninja_Boy

Linkage:
PCP&C 750 Silencer
ThermalTake Armor
Seagate 7200.10 250GB
bluegears B-Enspirer

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the fact of money being an issue its just my system is carp and i proabably wont upgrade for a few years soo yeah....

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Ditch the quad-core and get a X6800. Games are starting to take advantage of multiple cores, but you're still better off with higher clock speed (of an equivalent CPU) than more cores.

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
No, stick with Quad-Core. Later on DirectX10 games will be very, very CPU and GPU intensive. So, to run it at Max Settings at 1680x1200 you'll need 4GB of Ram, Quad Core, and really good SLi/CrossFire GPU. Plus, why'd you downgrade when you have the money? 3GHz Quad-Core > 4GHz Dual-Core obviously, plus 4GHz on air or water would cause high temps and cost more money if you go with water.

Ram:
Crucial Ballistix - 2GB - $310
G. Skill HZ - 1GB Stick - $150 each

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks ninja boy, but i just found out that i could get the x6800 for around 700 since i know someone who owns a shop so im thinking of getting it

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
You could maybe get Phase Change on that thing... Hmm.

Nice! $700's a steal.

EDIT - Fixed all of my posts.
Working links.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts