Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a gaming monitor (27''144hz1440p) with a working 4:3 overscan/zoom feature (not sure if that's the correct terminology). Basically you should be able to set a 4:3 resolution (like 1280x960) and instead of having the image stretched or with black bars, it should crop so the sides are seamless and the top/bottom is cropped in. Basically just zoom in. I'm currently using a Benq xl2411 and I don't see an option where I could do this. Neither in the Nvidia Desktop GPU settings. A software solution could work as well if I can still run the application in fullscreen, but I couldn't find anything. Here's an example: https://i.imgur.com/rm5qW0G.jpg

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts

This doesn't work?

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Just a heads up. The Nvidia controls panel can be a pain at times. Set your desktop to the game resolution then adjust. Once you are done. Set your normal resolution again.

For some reason it will only set per resolution for me at least.

If your game supports it, make a custom resolution that has a matching height to your monitor.

When I had a 1920 * 1200, 1600 * 1200 was a standard resolution that worked. It is not quite the same with 1920 x 1080(would be 1440 x 1080 for 4:3), but some games will work with custom resolutions set in the Nvidia control panel.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
I don't have the option to change the resize mode. Only the resize option itself, and there the max is 100%/100%. If I go lower it does the opposite of what I want and zooms out instead of in.

I just noticed that when I hook up my second monitor via DVI port, I dont have the option for that monitor. But on the 4k via HDMI, the option is present.

Maybe try a different connection.

What GPU and type of connection are you using?

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Hey,

Your image seems to indicate an actual zoom feature.

Are you looking for an aspect ratio lock instead?

My benQ and old Samsung can be locked to aspect. This will avoid image stretching.

Example of stretch vs aspect included.

EDIT.

Looks like my uploads failed. Lets try something else.
BenQ option

Stretched or FULL image

Aspect ratio image(simulated).

·
Overclocker
11,634 Posts
Most monitors don't zoom in but they can certain do 1:1 mapping and keep aspect ratio. Zoom in is borderline useless, try playing Starcraft zoomed in LOL, your whole bottom panel and resource counter on top gets cropped off. If you so much need a zoom in then use GPU scaling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What GPU and type of connection are you using?
GTX980ti + DVI

Hey,
Your image seems to indicate an actual zoom feature.
Are you looking for an aspect ratio lock instead?
My benQ and old Samsung can be locked to aspect. This will avoid image stretching.
I'm looking for a zoom feature then, I guess.
Under Picture Advanced->Display Mode the only thing available to me is "Full".
Your example just shows a stretched image which I don't want.

Most monitors don't zoom in but they can certain do 1:1 mapping and keep aspect ratio. Zoom in is borderline useless, try playing Starcraft zoomed in LOL, your whole bottom panel and resource counter on top gets cropped off. If you so much need a zoom in then use GPU scaling.
I don't see an option to achieve the zoom in the GPU settings as stated above. Also I don't care about Starcraft or any other RTS. Why would you assume I need this feature for playing RTS? In some games you can change the UI Offset (CS:GO example being safezoney "0.85") and the problem is solved.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
Attaching pictures seems to be broken (at least in post preview) but here's the settings that make this work with the gpu scaling it to the screen for you:

The aspect ratio setting means it will scale it to fit the resolution of your screen while not stretching the picture. Having the gpu do it with the override enabled means it will just work regardless of what screen you use.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
By any chance do you get more options in your monitor options when you are running a different resolution?

I know at 1920 x 1080(the max for my screen) I do not have the aspect option.

I am posting better simulated examples(different game so you can see what happens with a user interface if you zoom an image). You will see why zoom is most likely not what you are after.

If your screen does not have the option, you should still be able to make the video card do it. It will render your screens resolution and do the scaling as required. You have to be on the resolution you will be using when setting it(or at least I have had to). see last image. looks like you select the resolution to effect. May have to try gpu and Display to see what works for you.

Full/Stretch. This is the default for most monitors. yes it looks like hell.

Aspect. Should be an option for the video card to do this as well on monitors that do not support changing settings.

Zoom. What your images seem to indicate. Is this what you are after?
photo hosting

EDIT.
Just noticed you can select the resolution to adjust scaling on. Do you not have this option?
click image upload

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The aspect ratio setting means it will scale it to fit the resolution of your screen while not stretching the picture. Having the gpu do it with the override enabled means it will just work regardless of what screen you use.
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but how does that help with my problem? As I stated previously, I don't want stretched nor black bars but a zoomed in image. Look at the 3rd image in post #10, that's exactly what I want to achieve.

By any chance do you get more options in your monitor options when you are running a different resolution?
I know at 1920 x 1080(the max for my screen) I do not have the aspect option.
I am posting better simulated examples(different game so you can see what happens with a user interface if you zoom an image). You will see why zoom is most likely not what you are after.
Zoom. What your images seem to indicate. Is this what you are after?
[image]

EDIT.
Just noticed you can select the resolution to adjust scaling on. Do you not have this option?
I don't get more options if I choose a different resolution. I always have the aspect option, that's not the problem. Right now I can't even change the resolution in the Nvidia settings and have to use the win10 settings. I should probably do a clean install of my graphics driver.
Your zoom example is exactly what I'm looking for.
I can only choose GPU scaling, no display.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I do not know of any zoom options outside of some TV sets(since they are a device that is likely to still see a 4:3 signal).

Try to get those drivers clean installed.

I just did a test on my 1070(in Windows 10) and over DVI I ONLY have the gpu scaling option. I am not sure if this is a Windows 10 thing or not.

It does work. With GPU scaled, the same monitor will always see 1920 x 1080 as the resolution(the video card inserts the bars on the side.)

This results in the menu options from my previous image not available.

I do not know of any way to zoom to the extent you want. Over HDMI, some monitors will have some level of overscan as an option, but not to the degree you are looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts