Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

On the market for a new gaming notebook, my budget is $1800. I've looked around and it looks like the top choices are

Acer Predator 17 G9-791-79Y3 17.3-inch Full HD Gaming Notebook

-980M Nvidia
-Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.50 GHz
-512GB SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

or

ASUS ROG G752VY-DH72 17-Inch Gaming Laptop GeForce GTX 980M 4GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM
-980M Nvidia
-Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.50 GHz
-256GB SSD + 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Any thoughts or suggestions of other models? (G-Sync is a must)

Thank you

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Always go ASUS... My ASUS Gaming laptop is still going strong after 4 years.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Definitely would go with the Asus out of those two... Acer is iffy with just about everything ...

MSI is making really nice gaming laptops as well ... I've had a GS70 Stealth Pro for over a year and love it ...

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
I would NOT GET the Asus G752 because it doesn't even support the NVMe ssd that they put in them. There is Huge issues with that right now and Asus doesn't know when or if they are fixing it. I had the G752 and returned it after 3 weeks of BS and many hours on the phone and forums. Stay away from it. Trust me.

I went with the MSI GT72 and love it. Even tho this one I have didn't have G-sync which was a must for me too since I have a Asus Swift G-sync 144hz monitor I use at home on my desktop, this msi games totally fine to me and G-sync isn't that much of a MUST HAVE for me on this. But the MSI gaming laptops are so much nicer once you get one and see all the things they did right. I mean way nicer. Read my Thread on the Asus G752 and you'll see the good things and bad things about the G752. In the end, I took it back and got MSI and now I'm happier than ever.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone07si View Post

But the MSI gaming laptops are so much nicer once you get one and see all the things they did right. I mean way nicer. Read my Thread on the Asus G752 and you'll see the good things and bad things about the G752. In the end, I took it back and got MSI and now I'm happier than ever.
x2 on the MSI ... I went back and forth between the GT72 and the GS70 ... in the deciding to stay with the super light/then option ... love the Stealth Pro and especially the steel series keyboard ... and definitely it has the loudest/clearest speakers of any laptop I've ever used...

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70_Malibu View Post

I recently ordered an ASUS ROG that was similarly spec'd. It arrived DOA.

Same problem as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RAATZTOE88W3Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00ZUPO7A4

Many others reported the same issue.

I loved the ASUS motherboards I've used in old desktop builds and thought I couldn't go wrong ordering an ASUS laptop. Not in this case.

I've spec'd out a Clevo/Sager instead, and am waiting for the results.
I also love Asus mobo's and that's the only mobo I'll buy or have someone buy for any custom builds I do for me or anyone else. I have build well over 500+ desktops and 95%+ have all had asus mobo's. Only 1 time I had a bad mobo that was an asus that we just returned to microcenter and got the same one again and all was good. Their bios layouts are very nice and straight forward. I have a very easy time personally overclocking the crap out of them and don't have any issues at all. That's Asus mobo's tho.

I bought one of the very first G series Asus gaming laptops back when it had a AMD 7970m in it. It was so so. The gpu would sit at 98-102c all day when I was gaming and the thing was SO HOT it was hard to push the buttons. It ran like that even for the couple hours at a time I played on it, but I never liked that it ran that hot. I ended up selling it after about a year because I didn't like it that much to want to keep a $2000 laptop before it wasn't worth selling.

My buddy bought the 2nd gen Core series cpu's that came in the G series and his had a Gtx560m or 660m I think, it was like 4 or 5 years ago so it couldn't have been more than a 660m at most. I think it was 560 tho?? But his had lots of issues. It would lockup or artifact like CRAZY when just trying to watch youtube videos. It would lockup while gaming here and there and also show artifacts. This is all with stock clocks too. Never even tried to overclock his. We did try underclocking it though to see if that would help with the artifacts, but didn't. Sent it to Asus RMA twice and they sent it back saying it was fixed and good to go, but it did the same dame thing each time it was sent back. My buddy ended up smashing it on the ground and told me to never show him anything cool that I bought again. He got really pissed, but wasn't my fault LOL. He only uses desktops now and won't even think of buying a laptop lol.

So with the G series laptops I've seen or had myself, it hasn't gone well. I tried the Asus GL551 and that was horrible. Then I just bought the Asus G752VT and had lots of issues with that one. The bios locked in Raid mode which it doesn't even support. The thing wouldn't see the NVMe ssd's that it has 2 m.2 slots for and couldn't use those properly at all. Asus tech support barely could understand me trying to explain what was wrong and couldn't help me at all, or tell me when there would be a bios fix or update. I said the hell with that and took it back and went with the MSI GT72.

First time going with MSI on a laptop, or gaming laptop. I started reading forums and seeing what people were liking and having good luck with. Then I called MSI's Tech Support before even owning a MSI laptop and talked to 3 different people and just wanted to pick their brain some. All 3 guys were very smart when it came to answering my questions and whatnot. I was very surprised. Now I figured I'll try the MSI brand and I am very happy I did after getting my new laptop and seeing just how everything works. Not 1 complaint. Nothing at all.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
tongue.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts