Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm considering having some friends over for a gaming session. I will have about 4-5 PC/Laptops running at most. How many PC setups and monitors combined can fit each wall socket? Please explain in depth for example 2 PCs and 2 monitors in one socket connected to a powerboard>extension cord>powerboard hosting router and modem>wall or something arather.

If it helps in any way, the most demanding PC's specs will likely be: i7 4790K, GTX 980, 16GB RAM, SSD, HDD, ton of fans, 700W gold rated PSU, aftermarket air cooler; and I am located in Australia.

Also, will 26-30 megabits per second download and 1.3-1.8 megabits per second upload be enough to share between 5 people? 4 via ethernet, 1 via wifi?

·
:)
11,146 Posts
That all depends on how good the power in your house is, and how big each fuse is. I don't know what you got, but a typical line here in Norway is 16A fuse on 240v, that is good enough for roughly 3600w of load. On the LAN parties I have had we typically try to fit max two pc's from each wall socket to be safe. But if you got bad lines at home and you overpower it, it can start fires so just be careful although there is a slim chance for stuff like that. I don't know how old the lines in your house is or how big the fuses are etc, so you have to figure out this for yourself.

That internet is fast enough for all to play online just fine, provided no one downloads while playing online.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. Anyone have much knowledge about Australian power ports?

I'm considering: 2 laptops > power board > extension cord >power board hosting router and modem > wall socket AND THEN 3 PCs+3 monitors > power board > extension cord > wall socket.
OR split it all among three power boards connected to a wall socket to be safe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd say your best bet is to balance the load as evenly ad possible. If you're able to plug something in, in another room with a different fuse, do that, as that would be even better. You can check your power boxes and see what fuses you have available and post back here if that would be easier?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You also need to know the electrical layout of your place and determine which sockets belong to the same power lines. Usually, you have multiple power lines from the fusebox, to balance out the load from the whole house. But sometimes outlets in the same room are made to use the same fuse line, so you might want to be aware of that. I agree with Stacey, your best option is to balance the load, and knowing your layout is a good way to make sure everything is well below your line load.
smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts