Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a dedicated PC for MechWarrior 2, 3, & 4. i'm looking for the best way to go about building a gaming pc. I still have an old HP pc that's running Windows ME but it's got integrated audio and graphics and a 900mhz Celeron cpu. I got that computer when I started college back in 2001. I would like to know what hardware I can get(and I realize i'm going to be digging around on the internet for all this stuff.) and use, along with what custom case I can use. i'm thinking of getting the Asus P4P800 mobo in an Asus TA230 case for starters but was wondering if that's overkill for what i'm planning on doing. I know i'm going to be limited to 512mb ddr-400 ram, just want to know what hardware and which Windows OS I should be looking to use. I've tried using the method found on youtube to play MechWarrior 2 on my windows 7 pc but found that it was too much of a hassle and my computer did not like it. that led me to make the decision to start looking into building a gaming pc specifically for the old MechWarrior games. I may also use this pc to run the old Diablo and StarCraft games.

·
Politically incorrect
9,397 Posts
Have you looked up the requirements for those games?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You are talking the oldschool mech warrior games right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
forget intel. they dont play nice with older games Or dual-booting ME and XP which you will have to do.

get a athlonXP 1800+ to 2400+, 512mb of DDR and a Radeon X850gpu. and a 80gb hdd,

install windows ME first, creating a single 40gb partition with Fdisk. then install all drivers/updates, then mechwarrior 3. now update to newest directx (dx9).
get cpugrab to slow down processor, for mechwarrior 2, then set it to use up 75% of cpu, and install mechwarrior2. use cpugrab always when playing mechwarrior2, but turn it off for mw3 and pirates moon unless you have bouncing APC issues, if so then put it on to use 25% of cpu.

mechwarrior 3 and pirates moon should have graphics maxed out all settings.

now install XP to a secondary partition, and its bootloader will detect ME and add it to the boot options list. get all updates EXCEPT SP3, SP2 is good but sp3 breaks mechwarrior games.
now install mechwarrior 4, vengance blacknight and mercenaries, then update directx to 9.0c.

enjoy trouble free gaming, and no BSOD.
thats why I said AMD, Intel/Nvidia setups have issues with windows ME, and BSOD often. AMD/ATI dont have this problem.

te one exception is a intel KATMAI pIII paired with a radeon 9600AGP, but thats too slow for your needs, so go with the AthlonXP and Radeon x850 build.

A socket 754 athlon64 and radeon x850 will work too, but get the slowest s754 ATHLON you can get (not sempron as ME needs the Athlon's larger L2 cache to run properly. and dont go over 512mb of ram. socket939 is iffy as not all motherboards had windows ME drivers, but if you have one that does, the same rule applies as socket 754.

am2/am3, fm2, etc, not a chance. even if you found an oddball AM2 board with ME drivers, (there are a few), you cant get a slow enough cpu in this socket to run the games properly.

also fyi MW4 vengance blacknight and mercs will all work out of the box on windows 7, on a richland 6800k APU, no tweaks needed, but you need the older system I listed for mw2 and 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the best answer I've gotten so far from anybody, csareb. Just one last question, for the athlonxp 1800+ to 2400+ and Radeon x850 gpu; what motherboard should I look for? And yes, I'm talking about the old Mechwarrior games. Not the new online version.

·
Iconoclast
30,615 Posts
Mechwarrior 3 and 4 can be made to run on modern OSes. Mechwarrior 2 runs pretty well in DOSBox if you have anything resembling a fast system.

Still, if you want the best experience with 3 and 4, you want the fastest system you can build that has good Windows 98SE support.

For Socket 462, I'd recommend the ASUS A7M266 (for lower FSB parts) or the ABit NF7-S 2.0 (for higher FSB parts). There are many options, but these were my two favorite Socket A/462 boards of all time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Mechwarrior 3 and 4 can be made to run on modern OSes. Mechwarrior 2 runs pretty well in DOSBox if you have anything resembling a fast system.

Still, if you want the best experience with 3 and 4, you want the fastest system you can build that has good Windows 98SE support.

For Socket 462, I'd recommend the ASUS A7M266 (for lower FSB parts) or the ABit NF7-S 2.0 (for higher FSB parts). There are many options, but these were my two favorite Socket A/462 boards of all time.
agreed. I have the a7m266 and it has been a solid reliable machine since it was new.

mw3 dont like modern systems because of too fast hardware, and no 16-bit zbuffer on newer gpu's. but true theoretically the game will launch on windows 7 in compatibility mode, its justunplayable due to aforementioned bugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts