Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a CPU, Motherboard, Graphics card, Harddrive and a new case for a new PC, I can use the rest from the PC I have now. The thing is I want a base unit for gaming and wondering which processor/motherboard etc would be best for it. Iam looking for a powerful machine round the region of £800. Can anyone advise me to which components would be the best for a gaming spec pc (To run Quake 4, CS/DOD source etc).?

Thanks.!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ok just to get you started get an opteron or a 3700sd, and 2gigs of ram.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i don't want to overclock, just looking for the best components for a good gaming pc round the £800 mark!..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
This is easy. I'll put together a whole PC gaming rig in a few minutes, gotta call my girlfriend and wake her up

·
Registered
108 Posts
is that about $1600 US?

if so; Shoot for the following...

- ATX Socket 939 SLI Motherboard (Asus SLI Deluxe, DFI Lanparty, and Gigabyte are currently making the three best)
- AMD Athlon X2 3800+ or 4400+ processor (based on what you can afford)
- GeForce 7800GT PCIe (you won't spend an arm and a leg, and it's SLI capable)
- 2GB of PC3200 DDR (Ultra seems to be the most compatible for the price)
- 300GB Maxtor Hard Drive (Best Price, nice rebates, really stable, pretty quiet, tons of room)
- Any case your heart desires however I'd shoot for something with a minimum of 4 fan ports... or 3 ports one of which 120mm.

The above system would run you just over $1200 US.

That would let you play everything you listed and plenty of anything that comes out for a good long while... plus the system is fully upgradable to the next gen of 939 processors so if you start with just a cheap 64bit that's good too... it won't cost you an arm and a leg, and is SLI ready when you are SLI ready.

Hope that helps!

- - - - -
EDIT: Looks like X3Nh4nC3D and I have some similar tastes...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sladesurfer

They do not suck!!!

he was being sarcastic man!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hence the sarcasim!!! lol...

No the AMD Dual Cores are great processors and A TON OF BANG FOR THE BUCK... You won't be disappointed.

Even at it's price the 3800+ and especially the 4400+ will far surpass the performance of any of the standard 64bit processors, and they are very close to the FX series in processing power... A great chip at a really great price.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=309862&s=sc - CPU
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=311505&cks=PRL - Graphics Card
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=310811&cks=PRL - Motherboard
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=311887&cks=SPK - Case
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=302883&s=sc - Harddrive

APROX: £900

P.S. Stick with that case! My friend has it and he ADORES the damn thing. Even I admit, it is a very very nice looking case. And it stays very cool

Hope this helps some, and overclock if you get this new PC. Im not saying anything MAJOR. But overclock some!

Josh

EDIT: POSTED WRONG CPU. SRY!

EDIT II: This is kind of over your budget. All the compents besides the CPU I would stick with!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take it you can't order from:

www.tigerdirect.com
or
www.newegg.com

Let me take a peek on the net and see if I find any, otherwise I'd just stick with those... One of our UK members would probably have a better idea for ya.

- - - - -

EDIT: Josh has a great listing there for ya from a UK site... I'd steer clear of the opteron if you can afford the X2 series (don't think you're looking to OC), and that seagate... A lot of people seem to have issues with seagates and less with the maxtors which is the only reason I suggested it. They are both good drives though the maxtors seem to have a better rebate and slightly better reviews. GOOD LUCK ON THE SYSTEM!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That case doesn't come with a PSU shall i look for a new one - If so which one. Or shall i just keep the one i've got at the moment?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My vote is still for the X2... you'll see a HUGE DIFFERENCE in gaming processing power, especially in the future when more games are released which use dual core to it's full capability... Plus you'll never see the stutter you get on reg processors when switching between programs, games, etc... Wanna import your favorite cd to itunes while playing a game... you can.. to no detriment.

Take a look at "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" for a good look at a game that will utilize dual core capabilities.

There's a huge article about power supplies here on Overclock.net, I personally have a 500W modular powersupply so the cables are removable and it makes for a cleaner more air flow efficient setup... I've had no problems with it, and recommend it... For an SLI setup you need something with a bit more juice (but you can get that down the road)... If you are considering it, my suggestions are the following and many people on here will have many others:

Ultra X-Connect 500W - 600W
or
Ultra X-Finity 600W SLi-Ready

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
PSU? How about the Hiper Type-R. 580W, modular, and SLi ready for cheap! No link, though. Don't know where the UK-compatible ones are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts