3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I would say get the monitor, SSD just an extra fancy thing that you could get later imo. A bigger screen will give you a better gaming experience
. Personally, after using a 25.5", i don't think i can use anything smaller than 24" at least.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't want to spend much more on SSD because
1) I just want OS on it for now
2) I will get some more next year when they shrink the process and yields go up (hence more capacity at lower prices)

I've been wanting a monitor at 1900x1200 for awhile now but pulling the trigger on a large purchase like that hurts! lol

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Disk:
- Everything gets insanely snappy..
- Can get almost 3 of the same price as the screen, which makes everything iiiinnsanely snappy..

Screen:
- The Samsung screen you've got atm. is great, I prefer no bigger than 24" screens for gaming..+
- Wait for about a year and get 3D screen instead..

Winner: SSD

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Okay, normally I'd say the SSD, hands down.

However, the topic is "GAMING PC upgrade"...

An SSD at the very most can increase map load times by a few seconds or so. A monitor brings your gaming experience to a whole new level.

I have to go with the monitor for this one, even though if I had the money, I'd go for the SSD.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
I'd get the SSD as your current monitor is good and the SSD will make everything load much much faster - I've only owned an SSD for a week and its already impressed me way more than a slightly higher resolution monitor would.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb View Post
I would say get the monitor, SSD just an extra fancy thing that you could get later imo. A bigger screen will give you a better gaming experience
. Personally, after using a 25.5", i don't think i can use anything smaller than 24" at least.
Monitor. When i recently got my t240, i was freaking amazed.... Makes games so much more fun it seems.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Why is the SSD even a consideration if this is a gaming PC upgrade?

The SSD isn't going to do much, if not anything at all, for your games. If you're going to be installing alot of PC Games - you sure as hell aren't putting them on that 40GB SSD I'm telling you now.
Not to mention, if you do somehow come up with a way of fitting more then 2 games and an OS onto that 40GB of space - the most you're going to do is increase the tiny little loading times in the beginning of the game.
Those loading times can be reduced, if not eliminated, just by raiding any good cheap pair of hard drives together or a velociraptor.

Go for the monitor unless you want to increase your OS boot time and responsiveness.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamrawr
View Post

go for the graphics card

He has a 4890 which still a good card. As i said before, go for the monitor for better gaming experience!!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

Why is the SSD even a consideration if this is a gaming PC upgrade?

The SSD isn't going to do much, if not anything at all, for your games. If you're going to be installing alot of PC Games - you sure as hell aren't putting them on that 40GB SSD I'm telling you now.
Not to mention, if you do somehow come up with a way of fitting more then 2 games and an OS onto that 40GB of space - the most you're going to do is increase the tiny little loading times in the beginning of the game.
Those loading times can be reduced, if not eliminated, just by raiding any good cheap pair of hard drives together or a velociraptor.

Go for the monitor unless you want to increase your OS boot time and responsiveness.

Well I just ordered and its shipped so it might be too late lol The OS boot time and responsiveness is still appreciated and I'll upgrade the monitor when prices come down in a year or so. I'll look into it to see if I can return it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb
View Post

He has a 4890 which still a good card. As i said before, go for the monitor for better gaming experience!!

Plus I've got a 5770 crossfire coming soon to replace the single 4890.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglylizard
View Post

Well I just ordered and its shipped so it might be too late lol The OS boot time and responsiveness is still appreciated and I'll upgrade the monitor when prices come down in a year or so. I'll look into it to see if I can return it.

The SSD ain't an upgrade for a gaming rig. :/

Nonetheless, it's a wise upgrade for overall. You'll love it.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I would go with the monitor, even though my main monitor can push more pixels.

Reason is an SSD is simply not worth the money. The $ per gig is far too high.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglylizard View Post

The prices on ssd will have lowered more than monitors

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I have both a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and an Intel SSD. For gaming the SSD does absolutely nothing. Sure if you install the game onto the SSD, then it will load faster, but that's just loading and does nothing for gaming.

The monitor really impressed me with its extra size and with the eye candy all the way up it looks amazing.

Winner: Monitor....if you want to save some money get the 1920x1080 instead, but then it's not as big of an upgrade.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Too late as he already ordered the SSD. Oh well upgrade ur monitor next, gaming will be awesome on a big screen.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Get the Monitor...You have to look at that thing all day and everytime you get on your computer.

A Monitor is an underrated piece of computer equipment. I would get the monitor

1 - 20 of 28 Posts