Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering:

1. I play games ALOT. Would a dedicated soundcard make a considerable difference?

If yes, then

2. What 5.1-7.1 soundcard should I get?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
The X-Fi XtremeMusic is a SUPERB gaming soundcard as it has

EAX Direction sound - Helps you hear your enemys before you see them

X-Ram - It has a onboard set of ram that can increase your FPS in certain games
And load of other features - They are only about £50 and they are an amazing addition to any gamers lineup
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Handlez89 View Post
The X-Fi XtremeMusic is a SUPERB gaming soundcard as it has

EAX Direction sound - Helps you hear your enemys before you see them

X-Ram - It has a onboard set of ram that can increase your FPS in certain games
And load of other features - They are only about £50 and they are an amazing addition to any gamers lineup

EAX is not directional sound. EAX allows for more sound sources and enviromental effects on sound. An explosion behind a wall sounds different than without the wall.

X-RAM is useless. I can't even think of any games that actually utilize it.

A sound card is nice especially if you have good speakers/headphones. It also will help to offload some work from your CPU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
X-Fi XtremeGamer will fit you slightly better


XtremeGamer < XtremeMusic. They are identical in performance. However, XtremeMusic has a port for a front bay and is moddable.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
X-Fi XtremeGamer will fit you slightly better


BTW Mad, the XtremeMusic doesn't have X-RAM

Did I say the Music? Woopsies - I meant the Gamer lawlz.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
BF2/2142 uses X-RAM.. and every other thing that is offered on the X-FI.
Is there any real-world independent testing of X-RAM?
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
For gaming, either the X-Fi Fatal1ty or the Razer Barracuda would be your best bet. The Barracuda doesn't have EAX, but paired with the Razer Barracuda headphones it is really a superb set up for gaming.

I would provide link, but you're in the UK, and I don't know many links there
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,044 Posts
Don't bother with the Fatal1ty. The only reason I have on is because I was curious about the XRAM hype and it only cost me $50 out of pocket after using a gift card. The only benefit in BF2 is better sound quality over the Audigy2 ZS it replaced. I've seen no appreciable increase in FPS. Get the XtremeMusic or Xtremegamer.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
The Fatal1ty has much better sound quality than the XTremeGamer. If you can still find an XTremeMusic, get it, but it'd discontinued. The Fatal1ty has 24-bit sound and 192 Khz Sample Rate,which are both the norm for high end sound cards. The XTremeGamer simply does not match the sound quality of the Fatal1ty, because it has only a 96KHz sample rate. Not to mention the parts used to build the card itself are not as high of quality as the Fatal1ty is. XRAM or not, Fatal1ty is still the best card for the money in the X-Fi series.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

The Fatal1ty has much better sound quality than the XTremeGamer. If you can still find an XTremeMusic, get it, but it'd discontinued. The Fatal1ty has 24-bit sound and 192 Khz Sample Rate,which are both the norm for high end sound cards. The XTremeGamer simply does not match the sound quality of the Fatal1ty, because it has only a 96KHz sample rate. Not to mention the parts used to build the card itself are not as high of quality as the Fatal1ty is. XRAM or not, Fatal1ty is still the best card for the money in the X-Fi series.

Not true at all. All X-fi use the same basic components. Only the XtremeAudio (weaker/removed parts) and the Elite (better DAC) are different really. The higher end models come with X-RAM (useless), a front bay, and remote. Other than the two previously mentioned, all X-Fi use the same OpAmps, caps, and DAC.

The Fatal1ty sounds exactly the same as the XtremeGamer which is performs exactly the same as XtremeMusic.
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DJ.BigBear
View Post

just get any X-fi beside Xtreme Audio

Word up. I would highly recommend X-Fi because of the amazing gaming experience. Sure there are better cards for music, but if you're gaming, the X-Fi is it.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Not true at all. All X-fi use the same basic components. Only the XtremeAudio (weaker/removed parts) and the Elite (better DAC) are different really. The higher end models come with X-RAM (useless), a front bay, and remote. Other than the two previously mentioned, all X-Fi use the same OpAmps, caps, and DAC.

The Fatal1ty sounds exactly the same as the XtremeGamer which is performs exactly the same as XtremeMusic.

The XTreme Gamer has 96 KHz sample rate, Fatal1ty has 192. Look at the specs at newegg. How can you say they'll sound exactly the same when the Fatal1ty has double the sample rate?
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
The XTreme Gamer has 96 KHz sample rate, Fatal1ty has 192. Look at the specs at newegg. How can you say they'll sound exactly the same when the Fatal1ty has double the sample rate?
That's a little misleading. All X-Fi cards support 192kHz stereo and only 96 in surround. I'm not sure about the XtremeAudio but I don't think anybody else really cares
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
I'm fairly convinced that all Creative cards are overrated. I know I'll probably make some people mad, but notice that people who call themselves audiophiles only buy either the very highest end X-Fi, modify their X-Fi (soloz2, DJ big bear) or buy something else?

I'm not saying they're bad, because I know they aren't. It's just everyone talks about X-Fi like it's the end-all be all of sound cards, when there are much better cards, sound quality wise, out there. And I believe the Razer sound card could possibly perform better than an X-Fi for games, too.

It's a bit like Windows, honestly. Back when I first got into computers, without fail every single game required sound blaster drivers. Creative got a foot hold in the market, and they came out with consistently good stuff. However, there will be those of us (myself included) who do some research and find there's a better solution for our personal needs.

Don't let this influence you to not buy an X-Fi, as I've heard a lot of good things. This just kind of popped into my head that everyone who isn't an audiophile just assume an X-Fi is the answer for everyone...
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
I'm fairly convinced that all Creative cards are overrated. I know I'll probably make some people mad, but notice that people who call themselves audiophiles only buy either the very highest end X-Fi, modify their X-Fi (soloz2) or buy something else?

I'm not saying they're bad, because I know they aren't. It's just everyone talks about X-Fi like it's the end-all be all of sound cards, when there are much better cards, sound quality wise, out there. And I believe the Razer sound card could possibly perform better than an X-Fi for games, too.

It's a bit like Windows, honestly. Back when I first got into computers, without fail every single game required sound blaster drivers. Creative got a foot hold in the market, and they came out with consistently good stuff. However, there will be those of us (myself included) who do some research and find there's a better solution for our personal needs.

Don't let this influence you to not buy an X-Fi, as I've heard a lot of good things. This just kind of popped into my head that everyone who isn't an audiophile just assume an X-Fi is the answer for everyone...
I agree with you on a lot of this. Really, the only weak point of the X-Fi is the quality of the analogue outs (and no DDL support).

However, I think they are definitely the best for gaming regardless of how much clearer other cards sound. The chipset just rawks. I believe in EAX all the way and the CMSS3D for headphones is awesome and really helps pinpoint sounds.

But everyone is going to hear something different. I think that the next best card for gaming would be the X-Meridian.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,269 Posts
bluegears b-Enspirer or Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer. If you can wait I would recommend getting the Asus Xonar D2/D2X for ~$200. It beats the X-Fi in every way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top