Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been noticing my computer runs a little slower when i travel to a newer "section" in a game. theres no loading screen or anything its in game. i want my computer to run fluid like a gaming counsel. Im guessing it just my lame parts but does anyone know a way i could have more of a smoother game play?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
You could consider upgrading to 4GB memory.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
A faster harddrive usually. Also, what game are you talking about?

Games like Oblivion that are very large and need to access the hard drive often can get slow down. Before I ran my hard drives in a RAID 0 array, every so often when a new portion of the game would load it would actually pause for 2 seconds and there would be a box that would say "LOADING".

So either 1 much faster harddrive or 2 semi slow drives that you can RAID.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could try lowering some of the graphics settings in the game? it's most likely chopping like that in a "new section" because it hasn't been loaded yet, also your CPU may be playing a lead role in that as well =p. Aside from upgrading hardware, I would say your best bet is to lower graphical settings, and perhaps edit what is running in the background through msconfig or taskmanager to free up some ram =)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supercole View Post
Hey guys. I have been noticing my computer runs a little slower when i travel to a newer "section" in a game. theres no loading screen or anything its in game. i want my computer to run fluid like a gaming counsel. Im guessing it just my lame parts but does anyone know a way i could have more of a smoother game play?
Maybe try getting 4 GB of ram and an SSD. That should significantly lower the loading times, but consoles have loading times also.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supercole
View Post

Its pretty much just all of my games and i have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136074 is that fast enough?

I have the 250 GB versions of that drive. If you get another identical one, and run them in a RAID 0 array, it will cut in half the load times. Not only that but you'll also have double the space, but both of hard drives will act as one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercole
View Post

will it make a actual difference? Black Omega said it wouldn't.

No not really. Windows XP is limited to ~3.5GB for TOTAL system RAM. That includes your 9800GTX+ (512 I'm assuming) and if you have anything else that has it's own memory. So considering that you already have 2 GB and I'm assuming 512 on the graphics card, even if you did add another 2 GB's of RAM, your system would only be able to use 1GB.

Aside from that, Windows XP is not a resource hog like Vista or even Windows 7 for that matter so it's not as important to have a lot system memory (RAM).

Like I've been saying all along, another drive and RAID 0, your system will run considerably faster.

Another member mentioned SSD (Solid state disk), and yes they're are good and pretty fast. However, their price is still on the somewhat outrageous side. IMO, It's just not worth getting an SSD drive at the moment when a decent RAID 0 array will run just about as fast.
With a good controller and 4 harddrives you can actually beat an SSD.

Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts