Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cheapo soldering iron is knackered and i need a new one. But these new Gas powered cordless soldering irons have caught my eye and i was wondering if there are any good. I know the cold heat soldering irons suck but has anyone used of these gas ones, is it worth buying and is it suitable for soldering to gpus and stuff, or should i stick to the normal soldering irons?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GAS-CORDLESS-S...item58859ab1a1

·
Registered
298 Posts
my colleague has one and uses it all the time for car audio jobs and it is obviously very handy not needing to plug it in, his was about £50 i believe and works very well

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't think you would want to use that with anything small. For bigger things it would do a great job. (I assume..)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It's a bit easier not having to worry about running out of butane. The one I have has swappable tips and it can also be a torch and a heat gun... Depends on your needs.

I prefer my corded iron for soldering though.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
i had one for awhile and i loved it. dont use it all the time though, get a wired one too.
Hmm, sounds pretty decent, how was it for more precise soldering?

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waqasr View Post
Hmm, sounds pretty decent, how was it for more precise soldering?
i never used it for precise. i always used my 15W for that and the gas was for car audio and like bigger wire.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't use one for anything precise. Does not get as hot as an electric iron. Great for larger things such as splicing two wires together.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd only really use a gas soldering iron for outdoor work, and even then I'd still probably stick with running an extension lead where possible.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by codycodycody23 View Post
I wouldn't use one for anything precise. Does not get as hot as an electric iron. Great for larger things such as splicing two wires together.
mine got hotter then my 15w one did. that was the issue lol.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
....Well it seems its good enough for general soldering...i think ill order one!..thanks for the replies guys.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

....Well it seems its good enough for general soldering...i think ill order one!..thanks for the replies guys.

your very welcome good sir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts