Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just recently had a post about my dads motherboard possibly dying. I was just wondering if this motherboard would work in this computer?

Money is tight atm so I cant afford to replace his whole computer, he just recently purchased this GPU and this PSU

If there is another motherboard that would work that's cheaper or around the same price but better, or if someone has a mobo/cpu combo they are wanting to part with that's at par or slightly better than what he has, but compatible with his parts, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1986;14178234
Well i just recently had a post about my dads motherboard possibly dying. I was just wondering if this motherboard would work in this computer?

Money is tight atm so I cant afford to replace his whole computer, he just recently purchased this GPU and this PSU

If there is another motherboard that would work that's cheaper or around the same price but better, or if someone has a mobo/cpu combo they are wanting to part with that's at par or slightly better than what he has, but compatible with his parts, please let me know.
edit

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz;14178317
Yea that will work.
So will This and This
I was going to link to the first one. $40 will get you a functional motherboard... what's the purpose of this upgrade?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;14178357
I was going to link to the first one. $40 will get you a functional motherboard... what's the purpose of this upgrade?
the motherboard seems to have stopped working... here is the original post about the issue

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really "new" but it has to work, and be at par with his current one prior to it dying... and compatible with all his components... which sadly neither of the previous links will work because hes got 3 2gb ram sticks and both those boards only have 2 slots.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1986;14179936
not really "new" but it has to work, and be at par with his current one prior to it dying... and compatible with all his components... which sadly neither of the previous links will work because hes got 3 2gb ram sticks and both those boards only have 2 slots.
just put the two in and OVERCLOCKkk the sticks. then when you destroy one from the beast OC, you have a backup
cheers.gif

·
Registered
760 Posts
Any mATX AM2/AM2+ boards with work as far as I know, there mightr be other complications, but according to specs, AM2+ will support the CPU and the RAM and the GPU.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Hold it, be sure the case will fit an ATX board. If not, you need an mATX.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i convinced him to let me get this one as suggested... waiting on the bf to get home to gimme money to take to the bank so i can order it. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is probably a silly question to be asking, but im gonna ask anyways. When the new motherboard gets here, i know i need to reformat his computer but will his Gateway disc still work fine with it being a different mobo, gpu, and psu, as long as i get the correct drivers for everything once windows is installed?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by froggy1986
View Post

This is probably a silly question to be asking, but im gonna ask anyways. When the new motherboard gets here, i know i need to reformat his computer but will his Gateway disc still work fine with it being a different mobo, gpu, and psu, as long as i get the correct drivers for everything once windows is installed?

for the OS yes; for the drivers, you'll have to create a new driver disk if you want a backup.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You might not need to re-format - Windows might be smart enough to load the right chipset drivers and whatnot. Also, is the Gateway disc a real Windows DVD? Sometimes manufacturers just put a recovery partition on the actual hard drive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by t-ramp
View Post

You might not need to re-format - Windows might be smart enough to load the right chipset drivers and whatnot. Also, is the Gateway disc a real Windows DVD? Sometimes manufacturers just put a recovery partition on the actual hard drive.

yes, at least i do believe so because i have reformatted his computer with that disc once before. Also, that reminds me, my windows disc is lost in storage somewhere, would his gateway disc work to reformat my computer?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1986;14203406
yes, at least i do believe so because i have reformatted his computer with that disc once before. Also, that reminds me, my windows disc is lost in storage somewhere, would his gateway disc work to reformat my computer?
No.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just snag a legit copy of windows off the web. It's not illegal as long as you have the CD key still.

You should be able to contact gateway and get a new one as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts