Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Better version, full speech.

Most of it anyway, the first 10 or so seconds were cut off. The picture also freezes for about 15 seconds near the end due to streaming problems. I'll replace it with a better version when one surfaces.

Protip: The BSOD at the end was in fact intended, and is part of the Portal ARG. It's already been decrypted (You can't see it in the vid, nor can you see his other slides due to the bad camera angle).

Quote:
The hex converted to decimal: 226 228 226 : 215 197 213 196 228 213 227 ( 201 ) + 211 197 197 197
If it's ASCII it's extended ASCII. Could it be EBCDIC (common mainframe encoding)?
Edit: It IS EBCDIC. It spells: S U S : P E N D ... U N T ( I ) L ... E E E (colon, dots for spacing, and parens added to roughly locate them in the source image.)
Hey, being QSECOFR on an AS/400 many years ago finally pays off!
The BSOD in question:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What if this all turns out to be one huge April Fools prank.
It would then be several weeks premature.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
What is he accepting an award for?? I'd like to know more behind the speech itself.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slipstream808
View Post

What is he accepting an award for?? I'd like to know more behind the speech itself.

Gaming pioneer award.

A lot of people were wondering why it was a Windows 98 style BSOD. When Microsoft was presenting 98, they actually did have a BSOD, so this is a reference to that.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supacasey
View Post

Gaming pioneer award.

A lot of people were wondering why it was a Windows 98 style BSOD. When Microsoft was presenting 98, they actually did have a BSOD, so this is a reference to that.

Yup. Bill responded with: "That must be why we're not shipping windows 98".

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Nice. lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts