Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm buying a new graphic card and I'm wondering what to do, a ge-force 280 of a ati 4870x2... Really need help here, I don't know wich one to buy..

Well it's for gaming only so no graphic making stuff...

I'm very interested what you guys think!!!

Greets, Gijs

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
The HD4870x2 is much more powerful that the GTX280 but I think both will be overkill for the 22" monitor. Look for a GTX260 216 or a HD4870 instead

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There are about 5 million debates on this sprinkled around this forum and the internet in general.

There are tons of reviews with numbers, benchmarks and other opinions.

My advice is, determine what best fits your use, your budget and your taste and make your decision based on that research.

Here you will get many different opinions and you will end up with a thread full of flaming.

Both are amazing cards. The 4870 X2 pulls more frames, especially at higher resolutions. Neither one will make your penis any bigger.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
(LOL zlojack)I'd suggest you look at the 4780 1GB.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oke thnx guys, I've got my answer and I'm going for the 4870 X2, I know its a bit much but thats what I'm gonna get... thanks sofar

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Great choice. I've just recently purchased the same card and it hasn't let me down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlojack
View Post

I'd recommend you get a 24" monitor then.

And make sure you OC that CPU to around 3.8ish at least so you can unleash the power of that card.

Yes, or else you'll bottleneck quite easily.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zlojack
View Post

I'd recommend you get a 24" monitor then.

And make sure you OC that CPU to around 3.8ish at least so you can unleash the power of that card.

Over 3 Ghz is irrelevant in gaming land isn't it? I am looking for a deal on the 4870x2 for myself.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Over 3 Ghz is irrelevant in gaming land isn't it? I am looking for a deal on the 4870x2 for myself.
The 3GHz chip will certainly be fine with that card at 1680x1050, but at higher resolutions, a higher clocked CPU will allow the card to open up further (judging by what I've seen, since the fastest my E8600 ever ran with my 4870 X2 was 3.6GHz due to cooling limitations)

·
:)
11,146 Posts
4870x2! Best ever
<3

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm I want to go above the 3.8 Ghz but, I can't... Strange stuff is hapening when i get above 3.8.... I can get to desktop, but right after that I get a blue screen that says collecting crash dump... :S I have my memory timings stock and my cpu-voltages too, because if I change the cpu voltages it says overclocking failed in my BIOS...

Does anyone have an idea what it might be???

And why should I go for a 24inch instead of a 22??? :S

·
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gijs474
View Post

Hmm I want to go above the 3.8 Ghz but, I can't... Strange stuff is hapening when i get above 3.8.... I can get to desktop, but right after that I get a blue screen that says collecting crash dump... :S I have my memory timings stock and my cpu-voltages too, because if I change the cpu voltages it says overclocking failed in my BIOS...

that sucks man!

I dont know:/

You dont need to get a bigger monitor! I run my 4870x2 on a 22", just put on some AA and your all good

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would get the 4850X2 since ITS a BEAST and cheaper and actually can beat the 4870x2 due to properly handling the rambus and sideport, but good choice with the 4870x2 cant go wrong

·
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J.S.
View Post

I would get the 4850X2 since ITS a BEAST and cheaper and actually can beat the 4870x2 due to properly handling the rambus and sideport, but good choice with the 4870x2 cant go wrong

Yeah but the 4870x2 is better aint it? And we all want that extra performance dont we?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gijs474
View Post

It may be the limit of the chip. The low binned 45nm top right around there usally , like 5200 , 7200, ect. 8200 would be no exception except the cache was ok so it couldnt hit high speeds they binned it as a 8200 with 6mb instead of a 7200 which would be a slow 8 series (below 4gh) and half the cache was junk so they cut it , and bin it 7200 , it will work at stock so they sell em. Welcome to waferland. Still 3.8 is niiice.. for that money right.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life
View Post

Yeah but the 4870x2 is better aint it? And we all want that extra performance dont we?

IMHO no way , Id take the 4850x2 anyday in fact im getting one
From a hardware standpoint gddr3 is where its at right now , read whatever you like I am about real world facts and benches to prove it.

gddr5 is great better than gddr3 on paper , but not on pcb's ....yet
so then we have the same processor just undervolted and underclocked
and I have knowledge of 1000 oc on 4850 , not seen it on 4870 yet personally. Its the same chip remeber that , its like ddr 2 or ddr3 its no big diff and ddr2 can be made to run faster right now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahah yeah it sucks, but I'm just gonna mess with it a bit and see what happens...

But what is AA?? (sorry I'm a bit of a noob... ) here are some pics of my bios settings...

Any one ideas or comments??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts