Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting a core 2 duo E8400 that does 4.1 at 1.1v and slave driving it and also slave driving my Q9550 past 4.4ghz.

OBV. need a dice pot
smile.gif
so....where can i get one? i know kingpin has really good ones but they are REALLY EXPENSIVE

so whats the cheapest but still nice quality pot i can get?

AND where can i get dry ice around here?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ooh, another Flagstaff bencher! Bashas sells dry ice for $1.19 a pound. According to their website Praxair on Butler also sells it but I haven't checked as to the price since Bashas is closer to my house.

I'm considering ordering this pot:
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=832
For $89 I don't think you can really go wrong. From reading a few reviews it seems the mounting system isn't the best and it doesn't do too well under LN2, but for a beginner dice bencher it seems to offer some good bang for the buck.

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dub;11918094
Ooh, another Flagstaff bencher! Bashas sells dry ice for $1.19 a pound. According to their website Praxair on Butler also sells it but I haven't checked as to the price since Bashas is closer to my house.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=832
For $89 I don't think you can really go wrong. From reading a few reviews it seems the mounting system isn't the best and it doesn't do too well under LN2, but for a beginner dice bencher it seems to offer some good bang for the buck.
Nice pot it seems, thanks
smile.gif
and i'll have to go on over to bashas then for some dry ice. thanks for that tip; didnt think they would..

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Check out the market place. Basically have to watch it like a hawk. OP have you considered a slush box?

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBcobra;11928068
Check out the market place. Basically have to watch it like a hawk. OP have you considered a slush box?
I would be doing slushbox if i already had a rad or a h50.

·
Registered
417 Posts
An actual pot works better, but a slushbox is surprisingly effective. I was getting -40c on mine:
IMG_3074.jpg

If you check the classifieds here you might be able to do a slushbox for pretty cheap. I see $20-$30 pumps and rads all the time.

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dude that's some intense stuff. you gotta hook me up with all the places where you get your insulation stuff at. if u know any other benchers around here maybe a big session?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32
View Post

dude that's some intense stuff. you gotta hook me up with all the places where you get your insulation stuff at. if u know any other benchers around here maybe a big session?

You're the first I've seen on this board from Flag.

Tubing + neoprene pipe insulation: Home Depot
Kneaded eraser: Michaels
91% alcohol: Walmart
Dry Ice: Bashas or Praxair, I think I've seen it at Safeway too...
Fluke's are pretty expensive, I got my Craftsman meter from Sears like 10 years ago and it still works great (think it was around $50), I don't know how low the temp function goes but it worked good down to -40c.

I've seen some people recommend ebay for some cheap Chinese import thermometers that are good for benching. I wouldn't say its a necessity, but it is helpful since your on board temp sensors will most likely be bugged that low.

Here's a longer post detailing my dice run:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=665320

I think I found at least two other threads of dice slushboxes here, just search and you'll find them.

·
335is
10,926 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Dub
View Post

http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=832

I have that pot and it works great.

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGuru
View Post

I have that pot and it works great.

hmm thanks for your vote of confidence. i'm really trying to get a high end core 2 duo to play with..would hate to kill my C2Q inadvertently..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32
View Post

hmm thanks for your vote of confidence. i'm really trying to get a high end core 2 duo to play with..would hate to kill my C2Q inadvertently..

People always say get cheap motherboards for your first trys because you are more than likely to kill something.

BTW your doing this just to get to 5ghz or something?

·
Premium Member
21,170 Posts
Really, if you're careful you won't kill anything. I started with my X58 and i7 920.

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsite;11972370
People always say get cheap motherboards for your first trys because you are more than likely to kill something.

BTW your doing this just to get to 5ghz or something?
yeah to get to #1 on hwbot for the Q9550 thats my goal
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx;11973501
Really, if you're careful you won't kill anything. I started with my X58 and i7 920.
i'm most concerned about the Mobo and degradation of the cpu itself

·
Premium Member
21,170 Posts
Those motherboards are all over the place. While it would be unfortunate to kill, you could replace it pretty cheaply now.

Keep the voltage low and the chip won't degrade. Since you're running dice, you shouldn't be giving it enough voltage to make it degrade anyway. That's reserved for LN2!

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx;11977442
Those motherboards are all over the place. While it would be unfortunate to kill, you could replace it pretty cheaply now.

Keep the voltage low and the chip won't degrade. Since you're running dice, you shouldn't be giving it enough voltage to make it degrade anyway. That's reserved for LN2!
Gigabyte EP45-UD3Ps? really? cuz i hear all the time that its really hard to find one nowadays?

and if i want to get up into the top 10 on hwbot then i have to push 1.7-1.8v :/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts