1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

nintendo-590x330.jpg

Quote:
...Info regarding the games coming to the system and players connecting to each other via the Nintendo Network isn't exactly surprising. However, there are some things on here which are a bit surprising, if not befuddling. The thing that sticks out the most is that the system will run at 900p resolution. This may be due to how games are said to run at 60 frames per second. Much like with Uncharted 4's multiplayer mode, the system will display games at 900p in order to accommodate for the higher frame rate. If this part is true, then that means the NX is no more powerful than the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - a common trend Nintendo seems to follow, their "next-gen" systems being about as powerful as their competitors' last-gen systems.
Kind of a shame. I know many of us were hoping for two years worth of hardware advancement to mean 1080p, particularly given Nintendo's lackluster reception of the Wii U. Perhaps they've decided they will remain the lower-powered but more friendly friendly and eccentric-controller console, though I feel it is to their detriment. Wii won out because it was unique and exciting. It will be hard to replicate that same success, particularly when the bulk of your titles are the same IPO ad nauseum (much as I love Mario and co. And I really do.)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just make a good graphics console with good controller. Ill be in line day one.

This is just getting really frustrating. Nintendo is like a son that you want to succeed, but keeps on failing. Kills me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hurr durr next-gen hurr durr.

Pathetic.

At least make something like 1080p and call it a day. Why do you have to make 900p or less because of your competition ? That's not even a competition that's a cartel right here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Best headline ever
rolleyes.gif

now game maker don't need to build their engines/middle-ware for targeted hardware no more, but a mere PCB spec without any info on it's development environment can decide what res/fps their games will be at before any game is even in development phase. The media story telling method is certainly getting alot more "next gen".... to attract like minded readers.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Nintendo's probably aiming for 900p/60fps for their own titles(and a few 1080p if game permits so, e.g Smash4 was lightweight enough for 1080p/60fps). I mean it was known in advance that the "Nx" was likely going to be similar in strength to the PS4 and not surpassing it. Its hard to put a gen onto Nintendo's console now because of the fact that Nintendo's release window is now offset by a year or two, and is going to overlap two of its consoles simultaneously likely for a year or 2.

The WiiU came out in Nov 2012, the PS4/Xbox One was released in Nov 2013. Rumors are stating that the Portable version of NX is releasing this year (probably in the autumn quarter) to replace the 3ds (Feb 2011). Production of 3ds games will probably continue for 2 more years due to still having most number in mobile console sales worldwide. WiiU games will probably end after Legend of Zelda WiiU(possibly a few titles after that, speaking about 1st party titles only) extending the library for probably 1 year or so.

What I believe Nintendo is banking on console game wise is that NX may possibly be mobile game comparable, that is the mobile nx games can run on the console. (Other than the fact that Nintendo is now actively doing collaborations with other companies to utilize their IP, e.g Nintendo/Universal Studios agreement, Mario likely featured in Wreck It Ralph 2)

If anyone is curious of the confirmed(not rumor) stuff about NX. All the unconfirmed stuff are most likely just speculations on actions and or the recent patents that nintendo applied for(e.g entire face touch screen controller, wheel triggers(e.g imagine sidewards mouse wheel for trigger), SD cartridge based console without disk medium)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Or maybe Nintendo is releasing a handheld with a 900p screen.

I mean, since 2000 they've always released the handheld about a year before the home console.

More importantly, would said handheld have adaptive sync support? Again, since 2000, Nintendo has been pretty buddy-buddy with ATI/AMD, and they're interested in having their consoles and handhelds use a common architecture (such as a K12-based APU).

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post

Or maybe Nintendo is releasing a handheld with a 900p screen.

I mean, since 2000 they've always released the handheld about a year before the home console.
I'd be surprised if the handheld has anything greater than 720p. Last i recall, the rumors marked it as 540p, and possibly 720p if prices can go down.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
They don't appear to have any insider information, it's appears to be mostly guesswork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP_Mulcair View Post

The images from the rest of the survey prove that it's just speculating hypothetical features for the Nintendo NX (so no, they don't have any insider information):

-snipped images-

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yet again the media perpetuates the false concept that resolution and framerate are tied to hardware power.
Graphics settings on any game can scale however you want them to, if the developers allow. There's no good reason that console gamer's shouldn't be choosing their graphics settings exactly the same as PC gamers do.
Heck, I've seen plenty of graphics options on IOS games. But mainstream "gaming" platforms? Forget it, consoles aren't there to give you choices, they're there to force an experience on you.

Ok, rant off.
Besides that, I'm not sure if I mind a lower resolution on Nintendo consoles.
For me the primary application for high res on PC is sims and shooters, yes everything looks better with more pixels, but more specifically when you're trying to no-scope someone from half a mile away, all those pixels make a big difference to gameplay. Platformers? Not so much. Splatoon isn't exactly a precision shooter either, or a shooter at all depending on how you play.
Focusing on framerate might be the best choice for them, especially if there's a handheld connection.

It would be awesome if someone would at least have a toggle on the OS to let us switch between resolution or framerate priority (yes, the Xbone and PS4 can change resolution, but I've never read anything saying that it boosts your framerate).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Graphics settings on any game can scale however you want them to, if the developers allow. There's no good reason that console gamer's shouldn't be choosing their graphics settings exactly the same as PC gamers do.
Heck, I've seen plenty of graphics options on IOS games. But mainstream "gaming" platforms? Forget it, consoles aren't there to give you choices, they're there to force an experience on you.
There are graphics options in some iOS games because there's more than one iOS device, and those devices vary wildly in performance (the Air 2 and 6S/+ are several times faster than the oldest supported devices, and perf varies greatly even within one gen). From that perspective, modern iOS is much more like a PC than a console.

I agree with you, though, it'd be awesome if console games let the user change graphics settings.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Back when Bioshock came out for the 360 there was an option to remove the frame cap and vsync all together. Turned the game from 30 fps to 60 in some places, dipping heavily in others with screen tear.

Still, it was cool for devs to give us a choice on something simple.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Realistically I feel that trying to refer to anything console-related as "next-gen" is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is useless trying to hide the fact that when the Xbox One and PS4 launched they were already mid-spec PCs at best and it will be no different for any other future consoles. If you really want to release something and have people say "wow that IS next-gen!" then you have to do something really impressive that surpasses the perceived abilities of current technology (e.g.; a console that can actually run games at PC specs) or you have to do something that has never been done before (like a VR only console / open-platform console / etc.).

As far as I'm concerned, I am just waiting for the "death" of consoles as we know it. PC gaming is getting so much easier to get into and prospective console buyers are getting smarter as newer generations of technologically inclined children come along. Console companies wont be smart enough to fool the kids (nor the parents) a few generations down the line. Honestly I suspect that we will maybe see ONE more generation of consoles at best: Nintendo NX 2 / PS 5 / Xbox Two. After that, consoles will either give way to PCs or PC technology will outclass console technology by so much that it wont matter anymore.

- Insan1tyOne
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Realistically I feel that trying to refer to anything console-related as "next-gen" is just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is useless trying to hide the fact that when the Xbox One and PS4 launched they were already mid-spec PCs at best and it will be no different for any other future consoles. If you really want to release something and have people say "wow that IS next-gen!" then you have to do something really impressive that surpasses the perceived abilities of current technology (e.g.; a console that can actually run games at PC specs) or you have to do something that has never been done before (like a VR only console / open-platform console / etc.).

As far as I'm concerned, I am just waiting for the "death" of consoles as we know it. PC gaming is getting so much easier to get into and prospective console buyers are getting smarter as newer generations of technologically inclined children come along. Console companies wont be smart enough to fool the kids (nor the parents) a few generations down the line. Honestly I suspect that we will maybe see ONE more generation of consoles at best: Nintendo NX 2 / PS 5 / Xbox Two. After that, consoles will either give way to PCs or PC technology will outclass console technology by so much that it wont matter anymore.

- Insan1tyOne
wink.gif
I actually partially disagree. I don't believe this will happen unless 2 things happens with computers. One is price has to drop significantly, and 2 is that most of the functions have to be plug and play. One industry that will not let consoles collapse is the fighting game industry. Setting up a actual tournament with a PC is prone to several problems that consoles in general would likely avoid. And its scene is growing (hence ESPN is starting to stream video game tournaments). As much as I like the PC environment, I know a lot of people who can't handle it very well or do things in a very mundane way and will pay the extra money for a more streamlined performance, even if its not cost effective.

What I think is that GPU/CPU technologies will hit a wall before consoles will die out. further extending the time it takes to shrink a node, and to extract it for as much performance as possible.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
what a joke...by the time NX comes out I bet MS/Sony will be designing their next-gen stuff with 4K in mind.

·
486DX2 66
3,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudewitbow View Post

I actually partially disagree. I don't believe this will happen unless 2 things happens with computers. One is price has to drop significantly, and 2 is that most of the functions have to be plug and play. One industry that will not let consoles collapse is the fighting game industry. Setting up a actual tournament with a PC is prone to several problems that consoles in general would likely avoid. And its scene is growing (hence ESPN is starting to stream video game tournaments). As much as I like the PC environment, I know a lot of people who can't handle it very well or do things in a very mundane way and will pay the extra money for a more streamlined performance, even if its not cost effective.

What I think is that GPU/CPU technologies will hit a wall before consoles will die out. further extending the time it takes to shrink a node, and to extract it for as much performance as possible.
I agree with this, but personally I do not care about "next gen" graphics on a console. What's next gen for a console is always last gen for a PC. Such has always been and isn't going to change. Resolution isn't everything to me either, PS3 could do 1080, but it didn't mean much when the games used horrible textures, gimped shading, weak if any lighting effects, etc. I don't have any current consoles, but I'm assuming games like TW3 are running at mid to low quality texture settings even though they're at 1080P. So where is the line drawn? It can run Super Mario World at 1080P! Woohoo!

Just give me good games. I thought Dragon Quest VIII on the ps2 was absolutely STUNNING at the time, and that game still looks glorious upscaled to 1080, and it was a great game! Just give us the best hardware you can cram into a $200-300 system and give us great games! Remember when great games used to happen Sony/MS/Nintendo??!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

I agree with this, but personally I do not care about "next gen" graphics on a console. What's next gen for a console is always last gen for a PC. Such has always been and isn't going to change. Resolution isn't everything to me either, PS3 could do 1080, but it didn't mean much when the games used horrible textures, gimped shading, weak if any lighting effects, etc. I don't have any current consoles, but I'm assuming games like TW3 are running at mid to low quality texture settings even though they're at 1080P. So where is the line drawn? It can run Super Mario World at 1080P! Woohoo!

Just give me good games. I thought Dragon Quest VIII on the ps2 was absolutely STUNNING at the time, and that game still looks glorious upscaled to 1080, and it was a great game! Just give us the best hardware you can cram into a $200-300 system and give us great games! Remember when great games used to happen Sony/MS/Nintendo??!
Where have you been? Nintendo and Sony continues to make great games. MS I'm lukewarm about but other people have enjoyed their work. If anything it is third parties you should be shaking your finger at.

This video editorial illustrates why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysWXsuGPHQ&t=1m01s

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The "900p 60fps" part makes me suspicious. Devs will use the power available for whatever they want, unless of course Nintendo make that mandatory. If it's 900p 60fps for modern titles then it is already more powerful than PS4/X1, Nintendo need a console that can take on Sony and MS with 3rd party titles. If they do it, then i think they have a winner.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts