Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

I just found on [H]ard|OCP forums the MSI Kombustor 1.1.3 score of a Radeon HD 6870 (with Catalyst 10.10). The settings are 1920Ã-1080 fullscreen, 60 seconds and unlock power draw UNCHECKED (default mode), no AA and no postfx.

Source

This is getting better and better!

Seems AMD is about to really shake nVidia's world. Remember that the 6800 series are the new mainstream series, so they replace the previous 5700 series.

This probably the best and most anticipated GPU battle since the Geforce 6600 series!

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,953 Posts
Ooooh I wonder the price. I might have to get myself a present

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not to defend nVidia, but notice how the 460 is running with a Core 2 Extreme and the 6870 a phenom ii x4... that's gotta make a difference?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scripped
View Post

Not to defend nVidia, but notice how the 460 is running with a Core 2 Extreme and the 6870 a phenom ii x4... that's gotta make a difference?

Absolutely not!

Core 2 Quad is faster than the Phenom II clock-per-clock.

So no, no excuses. And MSI Kombustor and Furmark are not CPU dependant.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne
View Post

Absolutely not!

Core 2 Quad is faster than the Phenom II clock-per-clock.

So no, no excuses. And MSI Kombustor and Furmark are not CPU dependant.

Not to defend Nvidia either, but the Phenom II is clocked 1000MHz faster than the C2E...

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prox
View Post

Not to defend Nvidia either, but the Phenom II is clocked 1000MHz faster than the C2E...

I believe CPU speed doesn't matter in this kind of burning tests for the GPU.

Anyway, a 1ghz overclock would not account for the double performance, so CPU is not a factor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Seems AMD is about to really shake nVidia's world. Remember that the 6800 series are the new mainstream series, so they replace the previous 5700 series.

While this is what they told us, the prices would indicate otherwise.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupted
View Post

It's not about the prices or the naming, the new highest end SINGLE GPU card will be the 6970... Taking the role of the 5870, the highest end single GPU card of the 5000 series....

And where have you seen the prices? Link?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I believe CPU speed doesn't matter in this kind of burning tests for the GPU.

Anyway, a 1ghz overclock would not account for the double performance, so CPU is not a factor.

I'm just saying surely it accounted for some of it.

Anyway, if we can expect results like this on most systems, overclocked or not, more power to ATI.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

View Post

Maybe AMD is confident they have a winner on their hands?

Don't forget that the supposedly real "high-end" segment will be the 6900 series.

If the fastest mainstream HD 6800 card is double the GTX 460, then the HD 6900 series will leave GTX 480 crying in a corner?

I don't know anymore.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant
View Post

It's not about the prices or the naming, the new highest end SINGLE GPU card will be the 6970... Taking the role of the 5870, the highest end single GPU card of the 5000 series....

And where have you seen the prices? Link?

huh? If something is going to replace the 5770, I don't expect it to cost tons more. Then it isn't really replacing it (which is what they specifically said). The 6870 is on Amazon for $275.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

View Post

huh? If something is going to replace the 5770, I don't expect it to cost tons more. Then it isn't really replacing it (which is what they specifically said). The 6870 is on Amazon for $275.

Well, it seems that the HD 6800 is the high-end segment, while the HD 6900 segment will be the "HOLY CRAP, THIS SPEED JUST RIPPED MY FACE OFF" segment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Maybe AMD is confident they have a winner on their hands?

Don't forget that the supposedly real "high-end" segment will be the 6900 series.

If the fastest mainstream HD 6800 card is double the GTX 460, then the HD 6900 series will leave GTX 480 crying in a corner?

I don't know anymore.

lol, this is just silly. The performance isn't important by itself. If a card is the best card available on the market but it costs 20k, it isn't worth anything.

Comparing the 6870 to the 768mb 460 is f'ing stupid, they are nowhere near the same price point...and that's before the Nvidia cards take the inevitable price drop from these releases.

For the record, this is probably the card that is going in my current build, but the overreaction to this fairly irrelevant test is laughable.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, it seems that the HD 6800 is the high-end segment, while the HD 6900 segment will be the "HOLY CRAP, THIS SPEED JUST RIPPED MY FACE OFF" segment.

Lol, +rep

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

View Post

lol, this is just silly. The performance isn't important by itself. If a card is the best card available on the market but it costs 20k, it isn't worth anything.

Comparing the 6870 to the 768mb 460 is f'ing stupid, they are nowhere near the same price point...and that's before the Nvidia cards take the inevitable price drop from these releases.

For the record, this is probably the card that is going in my current build, but the overreaction to this fairly irrelevant test is laughable.

How much faster is the gtx465. Near double the performance?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts