Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'll be re-installing my rig soon, and the current setup has everything installed from a lot of vendors, and I'm trying to have the best space/usefulness setup.

Do you guys find geforce experience useful or is it a waste of space and why ? So far, I'm on the edge ...

PS: not sure it belongs to here, but I couldn't find a better place.
PPS: seriously, still no TLS on the login ? Bros, we're in 2018 !

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,591 Posts
I like the Geforce Experience software and have used it for years now. It'll keep you drivers updated if you want it to.

Another nice feature is that it will optimize your game settings to your hardware, and it's easy to manually adjust the settings up or down by moving a slider back and forth if you want more FPS or better quality.

However, recently my monitors have not been going to sleep, and I tracked it down to the Geforce Experience software, so I had to uninstall it for now :rolleyes:

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
Unless it has to be installed to fetch a free game key it's pure bloat/ crapware :)
Same as nv 3D viewer.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Hi,
Unless it has to be installed to fetch a free game key it's pure bloat/ crapware /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Same as nv 3D viewer.
No it isn't.
It records game play with built in hardware so there is no performance loss. Their FPS counter works in every game and has been 100% stable where running FRAPS and Riva caused periodic crashes.

Those are really the only things that apply to me but people that use the others have had good results from what I've seen.

Simply put, it just works 100% of the time with no drawbacks. Plus what do you save by not having it? I've opted out and there was no difference in anything at any time. My mouse software is more demanding than GeForce.

I opt out of any update and optimization stuff as I've found if I clean install each driver I'll never have a issue. Since I only update them every several months I think the DDU clean install is worth it.

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
lol I don't care about any of those "so called" features :)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
That doesn't make it useless or bloatware. Many of us are good at competitive games and like to show off the crazy stuff we've done or want proof of epic wins, if you can do that with no cost it's that much better as there isn't another way I know of to do that unless you buy a SC card. Nvidia cards have them built in so-to-speak.

The stuff that comes with motherboards usually is absolute bloat.

Things I have installed related to gaming:
GPUZ
GeForce
Mouse software (needed for some buttons to work)
NVInspector but it's somewhat stand alone, used for GPU OC and game tweaks.
All my CPU stress testing stuff is stand alone aside from HWInfo.

Not having GeForce installed will give you no extra performance but I guess it could be good for a few MB of RAM and storage. I only had 8gb of RAM when I tested GeForce vs no GeForce.

Letting some Windows "features" run is more parasitic to performance IMO. My W10 install is pretty much gutted. Most default apps are gone along with updates, defender and data harvesting services.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,854 Posts
Installed it when I wanted to try out NVIDIA Freestyle but it caused issues in PUBG so I uninstalled.

For me it's just a waste of space. I keep good track of updating my drivers and don't need a program doing that for me. I use FRAPs to monitor FPS and don't have any issues with that either. I don't record gameplay and don't plan to.

:)

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I haven't found it exceptionally useful or a waste of space one way or another. I do like how it can modify the game settings from outside the game.

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
About all I ever install on custom clean install is the graphic's driver and Physics
Sometimes I install the 3D vision control driver too but that's about it

Everything else is more likely to cause problems than ever cure :)

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That doesn't make it useless or bloatware. Many of us are good at competitive games and like to show off the crazy stuff we've done or want proof of epic wins, if you can do that with no cost it's that much better as there isn't another way I know of to do that unless you buy a SC card. Nvidia cards have them built in so-to-speak.

The stuff that comes with motherboards usually is absolute bloat.

Things I have installed related to gaming:
GPUZ
GeForce
Mouse software (needed for some buttons to work)
NVInspector but it's somewhat stand alone, used for GPU OC and game tweaks.
All my CPU stress testing stuff is stand alone aside from HWInfo.

Not having GeForce installed will give you no extra performance but I guess it could be good for a few MB of RAM and storage. I only had 8gb of RAM when I tested GeForce vs no GeForce.

Letting some Windows "features" run is more parasitic to performance IMO. My W10 install is pretty much gutted. Most default apps are gone along with updates, defender and data harvesting services.
I think you have a good point about saving gameplay. Since this is a gamin only build, I'll keep this plus the mobo drivers and that's it ...

Thanks to all for the opinions !

·
Overclocker in training
13,970 Posts
Hi,
Win-10 also does game play recording and can't be uninstalled.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I like it simply because I have a Shield TV and essentially need it for that.

For a pure work based system, you wouldn't need it for any reason apart from Auto driver updates, however you don't want that in a work environment anyway really.. Unless you're talking small scale.

For a home/gaming PC, I'd just leave it installed.

·
High Clocker
3,419 Posts
Waste of space and extra boot bloat.
Ran it for a few months because I got a free game for it. Was using it to record game play as well, Switched to OBS and turned off shadow play. Gained 8fps and better quality video from OBS.
Saw no other reason to have it installed any more so removed it and havnt looked back.

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
It always struck me as a great concept, piss poor execution. The recommended game settings were waaay off base (upscaling+AA=20FPS...great job). It caused serious instability in several PCs until it was removed. They rolled many services into one bloated application; I don't like that concept, or having crap installed I won't use. And it requires an account, which alone is a deal breaker for some people.

Maybe things have changed, but the issues I had with it span several years, so there's no excuse. If there's nothing better for recording, on a gaming PC, maybe for some people it makes sense, but I wouldn't use it or recommend it any time soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts