Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:

Simply put, Ansel enables you to make and capture your own unique and personally-framed screenshots via an easy-to-use user interface, on NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics cards.
Also from the video of the introduction and example:

·
Simpleton
1,894 Posts
so kinda instagram for gamurz ?
tongue.gif

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
I think it is kind of neat, doubt I use it very much, but it could be neat to browse a compilation of 360 screenshots on my phone someday, like someone that has played EVE a lot and has some really nice ones, etc.

Also, works with VR headsets, so could be neat to explore other peoples moments.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

I think it is kind of neat, doubt I use it very much, but it could be neat to browse a compilation of 360 screenshots on my phone someday, like someone that has played EVE a lot and has some really nice ones, etc.

Also, works with VR headsets, so could be neat to explore other peoples moments.
Yeah i was thinking the same.
Capturing a 2000 pilots fight in an exteme detailed resolution from the middle of the grid, and then share it in VR or just being able to look around later, will make it a epic capture moment.

But also capulturing in game screen from the lates high detailed games, edit in photoshop for dramatic effects etc, is also a cool feature.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Yeah i was thinking the same.
Capturing a 2000 pilots fight in an exteme detailed resolution from the middle of the grid, and then share it in VR or just being able to look around later, will make it a epic capture moment.

But also capulturing in game screen from the lates high detailed games, edit in photoshop for dramatic effects etc, is also a cool feature.
+rep exactly. imagine being able to put on the HTC VIve ina 360 4k screenshot of a major battle or galaxy system, especially since these VR headsets are IPS or OLED i think... absolutely gorgeous... and you can move around within the screenshot... wow vertigo
biggrin.gif
will be fun imo

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
First question that needs to be answered: will this be attached to the bloated and privacy invasive GFE or is it independent?

Anyway, seems a bit gimmicky and built itself a lot of reasons for existing. My bet is that this will be popular for those people that make a career reviewing games on YouTube as putting a specific angle in the middle of the regular footage can add a dramatic / funny effect.

But this will always need specific game support and in that regard nothing changes. I just hope that it doesn't become another Gameworks type of thing where despite game developers making the necessary game engine changes for these added possibilities, the only one that can work to make them happen is Ansel.

As to the image editing capabilities, proper image editing will always need a fully fledged image editor though, so this approach seems more like Google Picasa or Instagram than anything else. Not exactly what the alluded game photographers use, so this is more directed at casual users. I doubt these will go through the trouble just to share screenshots though, most of which are to depict a specific scene in the game, so it's actually more important to capture in-game footage rather than a specially made one that doesn't reflect gameplay.

Anyway, in many games you can already turn off the HUD with a simple keypress (in The Witcher 3, for example), so what arguably useful remains is implementing a pause + free camera mode in modern game engines. Activating the noclip mode may take care of some situations, but not all.

This will work sometimes as a cheat mode and may take away some of the fun, as it allows you to look around a corner and see where the enemy is, or what will happen next, so I doubt that all games will implement it.

But that's it really. Disabling the HUD (already implemented in some games) and having a pause + free camera mode are the core needs that should be implemented in game engines and be able to be used without any external program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

so kinda instagram for gamurz ?
tongue.gif
Not kind of, they literally mention it below, in the "Post Process Filters" section:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel/technology

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if AMD copies this and makes it Open™

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Serious question, what kind of people take in game screen shots so they can admire the picturesque computer generated beauty later?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
^online to show communities

Example screenshot of games thread in ocn

·
waiting for Driver update
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzamples View Post

is this the official hipster feature?
no , it's for people who can pull out amazing images out of video games and make them look like Art instead gameplay-like images you usually see

24686524592_c960c02038_h.jpg

23631337724_08c8e036b7_h.jpg

23409449139_d70a7b543a_h.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts