Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 8 series Geforce card for PhysX, with my ATI 4870 running as my primary for games.
Here's a screenshot of the control panels, the image has only been cropped.

With the 8600GT I've currently got, (Waiting on 8800GTS 320), PhysX is definitely accelerated, but not impressively so.

From various benchmarks:
FPS
MKZBench @ 1280x1024
Hardware
Avg: 11
Max: 14
Min: 8
Software
Avg: 15
Max: 18
Min: 4

Nurien Tech Demo @ 1680x1050, maxed
Hardware
Avg: 23.9
Max: 61.8
Min: 11.5
Software
Avg: 10.8
Max: 60.7
Min: 4

I also tried Mirror's Edge with PhysX enabled, and the gameplay was smoother with hardware acceleration enabled, but it was not at a very playable framerate. I think this is due to possible driver conflicts, as well as an underpowered card for PhysX. Not to mention glass breaking effects in PhysX seem to be the most resource intensive.

*EDIT*
As far as how I did it:
It wasn't very difficult. The most difficult part was figuring out that the 8600 needed to be in the top PCIe slot of my motherboard, because it is a bus-powered card, and the additional PCIe power molex connector is closest to that slot.

Installing the drivers wasn't very difficult. I first booted up Windows 7, let Windows install the default drivers for each of the cards. I then downloaded the newest version of both sets of drivers. I installed one driver, rebooted, installed the other, and again rebooted.

I don't understand why, but Windows set my 4870 as the primary card, but I think it would just be a matter of using the 'Change Resolution' control panel to select your preferred primary display.

After selecting the correct primary monitor, I just turned on Geforce PhysX acceleration in the Nvidia control panel.

My next experiment is to see if I can fold on both my 4870 and the NVidia card at the same time. I've got both the Ati and Nvidia GPU clients installed, but the Nvidia one doesn't seem to want to work. Any ideas?

• Rep+
Reactions: CowColor

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the 8800GTS now, I'm going to re-install Windows 7 so I can see if I can get PhysX working.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Hmm I'd love to try this, last time I did this was with XP and it had a bunch of issues. I'll probably have to take out one of my 4870s though since I'm using all my PSUs GPU connectors ATM and my only Nvidia card is a 9800GTX+. Anyway, if you don't mind, I'll try this out and throw in my own benches.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
so you did not need to extend the monitors, etc?
With the 8600GT, I did, so I think you do.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having driver issues, the Nvidia control panel wants to crash on startup, reverting to the separate PhysX control panel version of the drivers doesn't seem to help much either.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
nice info +rep.

But do you really need that robust of a card for dedicated PhysX? I always though even a 8400GS would do the trick considering the original PhysX cards were PCI cards w/ 128-bit weaksauce etc.
The 8800 is just sufficient. PhysX takes a deceptively large amount of GPU power. Breaking glass effects, such as those in Mirror's Edge, halve the framerate, and that's playing on the 8800. With my 4870 and PhysX enabled, with breaking glass effects, the game is unplayable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tim...
I'm trying to use my 4870x2 with a 8800gts for PhysX with Windows 7 x64 (build 7100) but with no luck.
PhysX only works when I disable the ATI card and use the nVidia one as primary adapter.

One question for you: is PhysX working if you keep (in your configuration) the ATI card for primary adapter?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zazza76
View Post

Hi Tim...
I'm trying to use my 4870x2 with a 8800gts for PhysX with Windows 7 x64 (build 7100) but with no luck.
PhysX only works when I disable the ATI card and use the nVidia one as primary adapter.

One question for you: is PhysX working if you keep (in your configuration) the ATI card for primary adapter?

Do you only have one monitor? If your monitor has two inputs, I would set one on the Nvidia card, and the other on the ati card. Put the Nvidia card in the top PCI slot, and the Ati card in the next slot. Just set the Ati card as the primary monitor, and it should work.

Let me know how that works for you.

I haven't been able to get it to work if the Nvidia card isn't enabled on a display.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.