Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They finally went up on sale on eBay, I'll do a short review on here when I get it, Spitfire is being returned and I think over-all I'll be happier with the Icy Vision considering how much more "refined" it looks, and I love how it comes with VRM coolers and better heatsinks than the more expensive Spitfire (which also has NO vrm coolers, separate buy and around 20-30$)

There's a few reviews, one user here.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125406

http://www.futurelooks.com/gelid-sol...cooler-review/

Seems to be quite good, and an excellent value for the price, I think it's main competition will be the Accelero, but when I emailed Arctic Cooling on it's release date, all they said was "It has not been released yet" so...who knows when that's coming out!

About time we had some good GTX 400 series coolers.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPaulG87 View Post
About time we had some good GTX 400 series coolers.
Good GTX 4** series coolers have been out.

But yea, nice to see some air cooling solutions starting to populate.

Looking forward to see how it does for you, hopefully better than the SpitFire treated you.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The vrm coolers that come with the icy vision look to be nearly the same thing as the spitfire. Also accelero is coming out late july from when I called them. But yea can't wait to see if this fixes your temps.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick View Post
The vrm coolers that come with the icy vision look to be nearly the same thing as the spitfire. Also accelero is coming out late july from when I called them. But yea can't wait to see if this fixes your temps.
The VRM coolers on the Spitfire aren't VRM coolers at all, they are extra little tiny heatsinks, the ones with the Gelid are much bigger and cover the entire vram bit, as you can see in the pictures, and also the fact that the fans PULL cold air onto the card are going to keep the much, MUCH cooler than the Spitfire by default.

Just look at the size difference.
Gelid:

Spitfire:

The ones on the spitfire hardly even FIT on right either, as some have gaps between the VRMS.

Arctic Cooling annoyed me when I asked them the release date and all they said (3 days later) was "It hasn't been released". I doubt it'll be that much better than the Icy

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Honestly, if I were you I would try to use the stock base plate minus the fan. You might be surprised how good of a job it does for the vrm's and mem ic's. Especially with the way the fans are done on it.

Just something you may want to try if the Gelid will allow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7racer View Post
Honestly, if I were you I would try to use the stock base plate minus the fan. You might be surprised how good of a job it does for the vrm's and mem ic's. Especially with the way the fans are done on it.

Just something you may want to try if the Gelid will allow.
I've noticed how ingenious the cooler is on the GTX 480, all the VRMS and ram etc is touching one plate like you said, very smart, but I doubt it will fit with ANY aftermarket cooler.

I should voice that I expect this to be about 5-6c higher than the Spitfire, simply due to the fact that it weighs 200grams less (possibly more) but I do think it will cool the rest of the card MUCH better, which the Spitfire doesn't really take care of.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You can do it with no gaps with the setup I did by putting them side to side and it's the same thing. Also if that's your picture: you forgot to put a cooler on the most important VRM.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPaulG87 View Post
I've noticed how ingenious the cooler is on the GTX 480, all the VRMS and ram etc is touching one plate like you said, very smart, but I doubt it will fit with ANY aftermarket cooler.
You may be surprised, all depends on how the base of the aftermarket cooler is placed and height.

And the Gelid from a look seems as though it will have decent height, look at the height of the ram sinks compared to the height of the base plate.

I know that wb have no issue using it, not the full cover blocks but the Ek Supreme VGA and the MCW60 and 80.

Worth a look at least, not sure if anyone else has tried it for aircooling but for wc'ing it rocks unless you have a full cover block.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

You can do it with no gaps with the setup I did by putting them side to side and it's the same thing. Also if that's your picture: you forgot to put a cooler on the most important VRM.
I forgot one place but that was before I was fully done
, I had them all installed when it was go time. And yeah maybe the orignal back plate will work...if it does, then I'll get new thermal tape and reuse that so I won't have to use the new heatsinks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I doubt the plate will fit but you can just do the mod people did with the accelero and the gtx280: cut the stock plate in half, just for the VRM cooling part.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Quote:

I doubt the plate will fit but you can just do the mod people did with the accelero and the gtx280: cut the stock plate in half, just for the VRM cooling part.
Yea, without having one to play with I can't say for sure. But it has to use the same width and length of mounting holes as the pcb, which match up to the base plate.

The heatpipes extending from the base of the heatsink don't seem to be any lower than the fins on the stock heatsink. Looks like it would depend mostly on the length of the screws used.

But I have used baseplates before, like with my HD4890's when people said, "No that won't fit". Don't know till you try and maybe with a bit of ingenuity, it all works out well.

So more than likely it won't, but for superior cooling of vrm's I would see what plausible way there are to use.

·
Banned
155 Posts
damn $69 including shipping...looks like it will take 3 slots same as zotac amp edition and the temp and noise looks same too...btw i love my zotac amp edition it basically the "woosh" noise free lol i can't hear it over my system fan i think dba is around 30 on full fan and around 20 or 18 in 54% fan which is on auto while playing fps games....i hated the woosh noise from evga and tried pny gtx 480...fan use to get 80% or 85% while playing fps games with 96C...with zotac it does't go over 81C with 50% fan and no noise at all.....love it....the real gtx 480 is zotac amp editon..

P.S. waiting for your review on Gelid Icy Vision

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lod03 View Post
damn $69 including shipping...looks like it will take 3 slots same as zotac amp edition and the temp and noise looks same too...btw i love my zotac amp edition it basically the "woosh" noise free lol i can't hear it over my system fan i think dba is around 30 on full fan and around 20 or 18 in 54% fan which is on auto while playing fps games....i hated the woosh noise from evga and tried pny gtx 480...fan use to get 80% or 85% while playing fps games with 96C...with zotac it does't go over 81C with 50% fan and no noise at all.....love it....the real gtx 480 is zotac amp editon..

P.S. waiting for your review on Gelid Icy Vision
That cooler is a VF1000 Zalman, just by design I can pretty much promise the Icy Vision will perform better, it follows that general idea but with slightly more copper, and quieter, more efficient fans. Also, this cooler isn't going to be 69$ + shipping, it's estimated street price in the U.S. is 50-55$, however rumors say once it's widely available, it should be able to be had for as low as 40-45$. I know Gelid is new, but everyone who uses their stuff seems to be VERY happy.

I hear those VF1000's on those Zotac 480 AMPS are actually quite loud, around 36-38db when the fans are on full, that alone would make me not want to move to that as an aftermarket cooler.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just came to know that i am getting a review sample of this new Gelid Cooler, lets see how it performs.

Will update you guys on it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post
This cooler looks really nice. Do you know if EVGA cares if you use aftermarket cooling, as long as you put the stock on for RMA?
According to everything I've heard, you are allowed to remove the heatsink under their warranty, so I don't see why it'd be an issue...

·
Registered
553 Posts
My Sample ICY Vision is here.

Will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post
This cooler looks really nice. Do you know if EVGA cares if you use aftermarket cooling, as long as you put the stock on for RMA?
They do not unless the card shows damage that you did by changing the cooler. I had an EVGA GTX 275 that I installed a water block on it. I had to RMA it. I simply put back the stock cooler on it and proceed with the RMA. no issue whatsoever.

Let us know how the Gelid perform on the 470 once you get it!

cheers

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
The review on the forum you linked showed the Gelid 4'C HOTTER than reference when under heavy load in furmark.. though it was way cooler everywhere else. Did your testing reveal the same?

1 - 20 of 255 Posts