Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone out there lapping:

I have lapped according to several methods suggested (wet/dry, decreasing grit size).

And have found out the following:

You don't have to spend hours upon hours of lapping with several increasing grades of paper.

The time it has taken me to lap a CPU heatsink to an almost mirror finish: 30 minutes. A CPU cooler heatsink: 45 mins.

And here is how:

First I take my heatsink (or CPU IHS) and mark it with a sharpie (making an X and then 2 circles in a bullseye formation, followed by marking the. Then I proceed to use a razor blade to determine how "uneven" the surface is, just to get an idea.

Then I begin lapping using 200grit paper. After I expose the copper uniformly on the heatsink, I use the razor to check how even the surface is. I mark the heatsink with a marker again and now use 400grit paper. I stop after about a minute to check the surface flatness using the razor. If it still is uneven, I will continue to lap until it is even. Once I have attained a flat finish, I immediately switch to 2000grit paper to remove the grooves created by the lower grit papers.

This is easier to perform on CPUs due to the pressure that can be applied, but I have lapped both my TR-120 extreme and CM Hyper TX in this method.

As for numbers, I am running my E6600 with 1.47v at 3.6ghz with a load temp of 58degC with the TR-120 extreme and my E6400 with 1.35v at 3.25ghz with the same load temp of 58degC. I used Shin Etsu as the TIM.

If you have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wooh, I'm currently at 3.2Ghz 1.3v 54C load on my e2180, just applied as5 so will probably be around 52C load. I have everything to clean my big typhoon now so it will be easier to go and lap it. Can I find those papers at like Home Depot?

+rep

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelin View Post
Wooh, I'm currently at 3.2Ghz 1.3v 54C load on my e2180, just applied as5 so will probably be around 52C load. I have everything to clean my big typhoon now so it will be easier to go and lap it. Can I find those papers at like Home Depot?

+rep
I found the high grit sandpapers a lot easier at the local advance auto parts store. Located right next to the bucket-o-bondo, making it the modder's dream aisle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I might have to try this method. Last time I lapped a heatsink was my old SK-800 for a 3200+ AMD Barton a few years ago...I remember it taking HOURS!

Question though: Do you still use water/soap to reduce friction with this method or do you do it without?

·
Premium Member
18,217 Posts
took me hrs when i lapped to lol and its still not perfect cant seem to get the tuniq to mirror finish but my temps are good i guess 55c [email protected]

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Looks like ima have to lap my TT120 now.. I think thats my problem with my temps.

·
Registered
897 Posts
when I dragged a razer blade across my cpu I really didn't notice anything uneven. When you guys do it is it like omg I can't believe its that bad, or is it almost hard to tell? I'm just wondering if I should lap it just for the hell of it? Either way I will have to reapply thermal paste here so figured while I did that, I would lap it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by onelivestarfish View Post
To everyone out there lapping:

I have lapped according to several methods suggested (wet/dry, decreasing grit size).

And have found out the following:

You don't have to spend hours upon hours of lapping with several increasing grades of paper.

The time it has taken me to lap a CPU heatsink to an almost mirror finish: 30 minutes. A CPU cooler heatsink: 45 mins.

And here is how:

First I take my heatsink (or CPU IHS) and mark it with a sharpie (making an X and then 2 circles in a bullseye formation, followed by marking the. Then I proceed to use a razor blade to determine how "uneven" the surface is, just to get an idea.

Then I begin lapping using 200grit paper. After I expose the copper uniformly on the heatsink, I use the razor to check how even the surface is. I mark the heatsink with a marker again and now use 400grit paper. I stop after about a minute to check the surface flatness using the razor. If it still is uneven, I will continue to lap until it is even. Once I have attained a flat finish, I immediately switch to 2000grit paper to remove the grooves created by the lower grit papers.

This is easier to perform on CPUs due to the pressure that can be applied, but I have lapped both my TR-120 extreme and CM Hyper TX in this method.

As for numbers, I am running my E6600 with 1.47v at 3.6ghz with a load temp of 58degC with the TR-120 extreme and my E6400 with 1.35v at 3.25ghz with the same load temp of 58degC. I used Shin Etsu as the TIM.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Good comments ...

But your avatar is way funnier.

"It's Jesus LOL"

1 - 20 of 80 Posts