Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start things off today I broke my G15 when I spilled a small ammount of water on it. While I was able to take it apart and get it dried and somewhat working again the problem was whenever I pressed the F,E,1 and ` key it also pressed one extra key with it.

So I called Logitech and I told them that I did spill water on it and the guy said since it was in warranty I could get a free G510 but right before he was finished he told me he was sorry but he messed up and I couldn't get a free keyboard since I voided the waranity when I spilled water on it, but he gave me a 50% off a purchase online at logitech.

TDLR: My questions are firstly is there anyway to fix my water damaged G15, if not are mech keyboards more resistant to water and thridly is the Blackwidow a good mech keyboard or should I get the G510 with my discount or a different mech keyboard (80-90$ max spending limit.)

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Some mechanical keyboards are very water resistant (Unicomp Customizer, TG3 keyboards), most are about as susceptible as your G15 is.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bobicon

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Some mechanical keyboards are very water resistant (Unicomp Customizer, TG3 keyboards), most are about as susceptible as your G15 is.

I may just go for the G510 then because I liked the LCD screen on my G15, unless someone has anything against it or can really make a case for me to get a mech keyboard.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Mechanical keyboards won't make you magically better at typing or gaming or anything. And while generally made better than low-end rubber domes, not all of them will last a decade or more (MX blue switches are very sensitive to dust, for instance), though most will last at least five years with even heavy typists.

The main reason to buy a mechanical keyboard is because it feels good and makes typing more enjoyable. It's like the difference between a Civic and a BMW, between cheap speakers and a hi-fi bookshelf set, between a Dell and a custom made computer. It's more fun to use and can become a hobby all its own. You can pick and customize to get the keyboard that's best for you, not just something mass produced in China for a generalized "consumer", to be used and thrown out and replaced.

And as for the stereotypes of being bulky or loud or ugly or feature poor... Well, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Blackwidow is pretty fragile. Theres nothing under the keycaps that prevents water from entering the switch. In fact, there are holes next to the keys that actually serve to channel any liquid directly into the switch, so even if you only spill a couple of drops, the chances of it wrecking your keyboard are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

In fact, there are holes next to the keys that actually serve to channel any liquid directly into the switch, so even if you only spill a couple of drops, the chances of it wrecking your keyboard are pretty good.

Hm? No, I don't recall seeing that in any keyboard, including the U9BL which is the BW's first cousin. And you don't own a mechanical keyboard, do you?

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129;12025828
Hm? No, I don't recall seeing that in any keyboard, including the U9BL which is the BW's first cousin. And you don't own a mechanical keyboard, do you?
He had a Black Widow which he got soda on.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Well, only thing under the keycaps are the switches and the metal plate, which just has holes punched in it for the switches to pass through/mount to. Nothing that would channel liquid as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I don't have to get a mech keyboard, I ended up taking it apart again today and cleaning the top mem-brain sheet with 70% rubbing alcohol and I am guessing there was still water impurities on the sheet because it works now.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Well, only thing under the keycaps are the switches and the metal plate, which just has holes punched in it for the switches to pass through/mount to. Nothing that would channel liquid as far as I know.

That liquid has to go somewhere, and the fact that 3 drops spilled on the keyboard managed to gum up to inside of the switch tells me that they lead into the inside of the switch. Otherwise you could literally pour liquid on the keyboard and nothing would happen.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Someone post the Gif of whats-his-face pouring coke through his keyboard already.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yes sir.

There was also the repetead 9-foot drops of the internal keyboard assembly with the casing removed.

That thing didn't fare well from all that... Model Ms are not quite as indestructible as they are made out to be. Too bad you need to look at stuff that went out of production decades ago to find better quality.

Quote:

That liquid has to go somewhere, and the fact that 3 drops spilled on the keyboard managed to gum up to inside of the switch tells me that they lead into the inside of the switch. Otherwise you could literally pour liquid on the keyboard and nothing would happen.

There are small gaps around the bottom of the switches. In my young, carefree, days I had a Blue Cherry Filco. One of the switches stopped clicking one day... I poked around, and found that a small hair was lodged half way in through the bottom of the switch, and prevented the clicker from working. Did I mention that it was a really small hair?

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123;12034349
There are small gaps around the bottom of the switches. In my young, carefree, days I had a Blue Cherry Filco. One of the switches stopped clicking one day... I poked around, and found that a small hair was lodged half way in through the bottom of the switch, and prevented the clicker from working. Did I mention that it was a really small hair?
This is what has stopped me from getting another Black Widow. The whole point of a mechanical keyboard is that its supposed to be indestructible, but honestly, I think a 9 months to a year from now we're going to get spammed with threads of angry Black Widow owners complaining about how their keys all suddenly stopped working.

The whole degradation of membrane keyboards is bogus too. Maybe after 20+ years of solid use, but the keyboard I'm typing on is at 8+ years now, with a hole cut out of it from when I was into Frets on Fire, and I've spilled everything from soda to spaghetti sauce on it and there is all kinds of hair, dust, dead skin and who knows what jammed under the keys, and guess what? It still feels exactly the same as it did when I got it. There isn't even any wear on the keycaps.

Mechanical keyboards are not more durable. They tend to have a higher build quality, since most of them cost $100+, but the fact that they use mechanical switches actually makes them more vulnerable, as it introduces an additional vector for failure.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
SOME mechanical keyboards are nigh-indestructible. Old IBM keyboards, for instance (Model M ain't got nothing on, say, the Model F).

Cherry switches are just the most common now, and they are vulnerable compared to other switch designs.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a mech keyboard right next to me its a dell 0463CD its a cheep-o but still better than cheep rubber dome keyboards.

Edit: Oh and I still do have that 50% off my next logitech purchase, I may get a G9x.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts