Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger on an i5-4690k and an msi z97 pc mate motherboard to replace my fx-4300 with gigabyte GA -970A - DS3P. I originally ordered an asrock h97 pro4 until I remembered that "h" boards cant overclock (doh! That was an embarrassing email to overclocker uk lol!)

Just wondering on general thoughts? I realise such a cheap board won't be brilliant for overclocking but as long as it can handle a modest one I'd be happy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be using my coolermaster seidon 120v AIO for now but planning a custom loop as a future upgrade.

Thanks to mr tax man I was a bit limited on funds this month (I've just started a new job and was emergency taxed £300) so couldn't afford a better board along with the cpu and yet another windows licence to add to my collection lol!

EDIT: I received an email from overclockers while at work saying that they don't offer an exchange service but have issued an RMA ticket so I can return the asrock for a refund and then reorder the msi. I'm a bit disappointed in this as my order wasn't even despacthed until shortly after due to paying extra for Saturday delivery.

I now have 2 choices and would like ideas:
1) keep the asrock h97 pro4 and hope its either one of the few that allows overclocking, or live with stock speeds.
Or
2) return the asrock and reorder the msi z97 pc mate but probably have to wait until the new year to get it.

What do you guys think?

EDIT EDIT: So after downlpading the user manual it looks like the asrock h97 pro4 does indeed support overclocking and has the "non z97 OC" option in the bios so I'm going to keep hold of it as I'm too impatient to wait and I feel it will serve my needs even if I can't expect to break any overclocking records (that doesn't bother me, I just want a reliable computer that will last a few years between upgrades).

DPD has my parcel at the local depot so will add a mini build log when I get home tonight, nothing fancy but as it's my first intel build since my old P4 over a decade ago it should probably be documented lol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts