Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using at 6950 with a i5-2500k at 1440p and have been wanting to upgrade for a little while. I was trying to wait for the next line of gpus but I read that AMD wont be releasing a new line this year and the GTX line isn't suppose to come out until Q3. I don't know how much is known about the next line of GTX cards, but are they suppose to be a re-hash of the 600 series? If that is the case I think I would just get a 7950 right now.

So Overclock.net, should I pick up a 7950 right now since I play at 1440p or should I just wait for the newer cards to come out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Only rumors, but i wouldn't expect 700 series before Q3. Idk about 8000 series.

If you really need the performance upgrade right now, I would totally pick up the 7950. Awesome performance for buck at 1080p and if you lose some AA down to 2x or so you shouldn't be held back in games at all @1440p. Overclocks very nicely too. But new tech comes and goes so i wouldn't wait for it unless it was right behind the corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
7950 will be a sweet upgrade.
get a few games with the bundle, sell the old card
never look back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Personally, I am sending my 670 back (unopened) and waiting. I think we are in a transition.. AMD has finally got their act together and Nvidia is going to have to answer. I expect by June we will see that answer. Plus I want to see if AMD can continue this postive trend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post

Personally, I am sending my 670 back (unopened) and waiting. I think we are in a transition.. AMD has finally got their act together and Nvidia is going to have to answer. I expect by June we will see that answer. Plus I want to see if AMD can continue this postive trend.
i tend to agree with you here....looks like some heavy blows are about to be thrown between the to companies after how close the 6xx and 7xxx cards were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll just go for the 7950, and like Flopper said I can sell my 6950. If I can get 125-150 for it then that makes the 7950 a pretty cheap upgrade at $270. Thanks for the advice guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Yah get the 7950, it's a good overclocker and it would really be a good upgrade, personally, if I have the chance I would swap my card (GTX 670) for it. I have the reference EVGA 670, it sucks and I can't overclock it because of the damn temperatures I get @ load (80c+ with no overclocks)
Have a nice upgrade mate
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviJ01 View Post

I think I'll just go for the 7950, and like Flopper said I can sell my 6950. If I can get 125-150 for it then that makes the 7950 a pretty cheap upgrade at $270. Thanks for the advice guys
That sounds like a reasonable sale price. I just sold my Geforce 560ti for $138. Your card is faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviJ01 View Post

I think I'll just go for the 7950, and like Flopper said I can sell my 6950. If I can get 125-150 for it then that makes the 7950 a pretty cheap upgrade at $270. Thanks for the advice guys
No way, you should be able to get more for your 7950. I sold my 560 ti 448 core for 180 bucks on Ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post

No way, you should be able to get more for your 7950. I sold my 560 ti 448 core for 180 bucks on Ebay.
I plan on selling my 6950 after I buy the 7950.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaviJ01 View Post

I plan on selling my 6950 after I buy the 7950.
Haha whoops, my bad. I had meant to say that you should get more for your 6950 than what you originally appraised it at.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top