Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm redoing my overclock and my target is 4.5Ghz. I'm already there just stabilizing but my temperatures have finally hit 95c with IBT! What more when I do my 24hr Prime.

I'm running 1.365v - 1.370v to the CPU measured with a DMM at the back of the board. UEFI Settings is fixed voltage at 1.370 at LLC Level 2 so everything is onspec. H100i is running Push-Pull with SP120 PWM HP's pulling and SP120L's pushing at full tilt, with an open case and no restrictions.

Are my temperatures normal for an H100i?

EDIT: Ambients are 34.4c - 35.2c according to my Sentry LX with probes on the front intake fans. 30c (RF 35c) according to Accuweather.

·
Programmer
28,679 Posts
I hit 87c with the following:

H100i - PP - SP120's, Medium fan speed.
3770K 4.5GHz HT 1.36v
Ambient 25c

So if you add 10 to my ambient, we'ed be looking at the same temperature range. This is why I moved away from AIO!

·
Programmer
28,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

I was under the impression that a H100i was better than a thermal take water extreme, so that seems a bit off to me. Under full load at 4.2-4.6, on water extreme, I stay under 64. What are you idling at?
I relation to my test results, I tried between 2 H100i's, Swiftech H220 and Tt Extreme 2.0. All coolers failed to keep the chip below 85c in IBT with an ambient of 25c. (10c cooler than OP's ambient temp).

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
With that amount of voltage sounds about right. Most reviews with lower ambient temps at 1.3v get around 75°C, with your more then average temps its about right.

Your running the case open so all the air coming in is from all over the place, the intake fans are totally useless. Whatever warm air is exhausting out of your rads is probably going right back into the case as well.

AIOs aren't meant from anything more then 1.2v (in my opinion anyways). Your probably close to pushing the max dissipation of that rad. My i5 4690k on a custom loop with 1.2 reaches 50°C. Even though a 240 custom loop rad has the same size as an h100 youd get slightly less lower temps but not by much. My guess is, the heat and humidity of the Philippines is the issue haha. Thats quite high though id probably tone it down.

You should try deliding it and running clu or just running it bare die, should drop it quite a bit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might want/need to seriously do the 'washer mod' to the backplate ..

Just take [4] rubber washers double thick like the ones used for hard drives yeah those..

If you want to make this easier take a round file and go at the hole awhile both sides turning turning it is pretty hard to put on the mounting sleeves otherwise but still doable..

I ran my i5 at 1.40v and my temps were under 83 it is delidded but still - The mod brought temps down 5-6 degrees easy..
And that is with a h80i yours should be slightly better temps
At 1.235v my temps never goes over 71 MAX , and that is prime 95 small fft which gets it the hottest

And dude wow it's not even a mod more like a FIX- if you dont have hard drive washers use whatever ones add up to the actual length of the backplate screw-bolt threaded mount part it shouldn't be sticking thru at all but it does and it messes things up

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dang, is my H110i GTX that much better? My i7-3770K has been @ 5Ghz with 1.36v for over a year now, and i never seen over 62*C. While gaming, it never goes over 55*C. I am de-lidded though.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Don't use IBT. It gets the CPU hotter than any other application will and not really needed for stress testing. Prime 95 is more realistic with maxing temps. It could also be bad contact with the CPU... Maybe try re-seating it and making sure the it is flush on there. If needed you can do a washer mod, but I have had to do one of those since I used a TRUE120 way back (5 yrs ago.)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegoast View Post

Don't use IBT. It gets the CPU hotter than any other application will and not really needed for stress testing. Prime 95 is more realistic with maxing temps. It could also be bad contact with the CPU... Maybe try re-seating it and making sure the it is flush on there. If needed you can do a washer mod, but I have had to do one of those since I used a TRUE120 way back (5 yrs ago.)
Well for the purpose of comparison, he would need to complete the same tests to be of value.

Unless you are talking to OP, disregard.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

I think this is a joke statement right haha?

For the purpose of correction, if your bios is not set correctly prime95 will over volt every single time. 1. I ONLY use Intel Stress/Burn test using the intel extreme utily. 2. You are COMPLETELY wrong if you think it gets your CPU hotter then any other application, for example. Testing with IBT at 1.2v on my 4690k i get to around 49-50°C. When playing AC Syndicate and AC Unity guess what temps my CPU peaks at? You guessed it 49-50°C.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Doesn't seem too out of the ballpark given the voltages being used. Ivy = very sad panda when the volts get cranked.
I'm running the same chip on the same cooler at the same clocks, but I'm only around 1.26-7 volts and my temps only get into the low 70s at at max when stress testing...

Are you able to run @ 4.5GHz stable with lower volts?
You could also delid your chip as well, didn't bother with mine as I didn't need to but that would help.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

Well for the purpose of comparison, he would need to complete the same tests to be of value.

Unless you are talking to OP, disregard.
Yes, that was for OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

I think this is a joke statement right haha?

For the purpose of correction, if your bios is not set correctly prime95 will over volt every single time. 1. I ONLY use Intel Stress/Burn test using the intel extreme utily. 2. You are COMPLETELY wrong if you think it gets your CPU hotter then any other application, for example. Testing with IBT at 1.2v on my 4690k i get to around 49-50°C. When playing AC Syndicate and AC Unity guess what temps my CPU peaks at? You guessed it 49-50°C.
IIRC, IBT would get my CPU up in the mid to upper 70's. While gaming, I get around 52-55C. No way any game will get my chip up that high though. Try setting your vcore to 1.36 as OP did and see how high your temps get while running IBT. Ambient temp needs to be taken in to account as well.

I think OP also has a pretty high ambient too, being in the Philippines and all. So that too may contribute to the high temps.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Yes, that was for OP.
IIRC, IBT would get my CPU up in the mid to upper 70's. While gaming, I get around 52-55C. No way any game will get my chip up that high though. Try setting your vcore to 1.36 as OP did and see how high your temps get while running IBT. Ambient temp needs to be taken in to account as well.

I think OP also has a pretty high ambient too, being in the Philippines and all. So that too may contribute to the high temps.
Must not be high cpu usage games. Voltage is irrelevant. At 1.1 and 1.2v ibt gave me the same temps as gaming. If i play euro truck it 10C cooler. Syndicate and unity use 100% usage often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts