Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished building my friends gaming rig for him, and he connects through an ethernet cable to get to the internet, but his computer wants a driver to use the the ethernet... How do we get the driver to him? I was going to use a flash drive to give it to him, but I don't know the name of the driver I'd be looking for, or from what company, etc.... Also, (apparently) his room is a wireless dead zone, and he doesn't want to pay money for a wireless network card, so my other idea of letting him borrow my wireless USB card is rendered useless...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is the ethernet connect build on to the mainboard? If this is a new build have you tried the any of the disc's that came with the hardware for a driver?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ethernet cable/controller/what ever it is, is old, and the disks we have are for the GPU and mobo but we don't need the GPU drivers, nor the mobo ones as far as I can tell.. We need a driver for it to connect to the internet.. The ethernet cable is on the motherboard, yes. Would that mean we possibly need to use the mobo disc?

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaldog View Post

The ethernet cable/controller/what ever it is, is old, and the disks we have are for the GPU and mobo but we don't need the GPU drivers, nor the mobo ones as far as I can tell.. We need a driver for it to connect to the internet.. The ethernet cable is on the motherboard, yes. Would that mean we possibly need to use the mobo disc?
The Ethernet drivers should come on the same disc that all the other Motherboard related drivers come on.

·
GWAMM
2,015 Posts
Pop in the CD, open Computer Management, go to Device Manager, select the Ethernet Controller, search for drivers and manually point to to the CD root (make sure to include subfolders in search options). Or just Google the name of the motherboard on another PC. The manufacturer's product page almost always has drivers for download.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My buddy's got a laptop that can connect, and he is downloading them onto his iPod from that laptop and essentially using his iPod as a flash drive. Thanks for the other suggestions in case this fails guys
biggrin.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.