Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently on the other side of the world (hong kong) and was shopping around when I noticed a couple stores selling 13.3" Macbook Pros for $7800HK (less than 1000 USD).

How is the Macbook Pro? I'm currently looking for a 12" laptop for coursework that doesn't use something as weak as an Atom while still squeezing out at least 6 hours of battery life.

The Macbook was an inch bigger (I'm looking for maximum portability while still having decent processing power), but looked really cool and had dedicated graphics, which would be a bonus and all the other laptops offered poorer bang-for-buck over here. Does it really last 7 hours on battery though like it says? I care less about specs as long as I don't get an Atom- just battery life.

And most importantly, can I put my current SSD in it as well as Windows? I understand that the Mac OS is sweet, but I run a lot of apps that are windows only.

Btw, this would be my first apple product.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If it is a recent MacBook Pro, then the power claims are pretty accurate. My MBP lasts around 5 hours or more on battery, but that's using less intensive tasks. It will run windows on a separate partition (Apple calls this boot camp), or in a virtual machine. I'm not sure about the SSD, but I think the macbook airs have SSDs in them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't work in the MBP.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
You can use Bootcamp to dualboot Windows + OSX or use parallels in OSX to run Windows programs.

>$1000 USD for a 13in MBP is quite a deal. I'd jump on that if i were you.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by h33b View Post
If it is a recent MacBook Pro, then the power claims are pretty accurate. My MBP lasts around 5 hours or more on battery, but that's using less intensive tasks. It will run windows on a separate partition (Apple calls this boot camp), or in a virtual machine. I'm not sure about the SSD, but I think the macbook airs have SSDs in them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't work in the MBP.
They are the latest Macbook Pros found on the Apple site.
Thanks for the battery clarification!

So are Macs self-serviceable? I just want to take the Macbook apart (originally has no SSD) and put my own SSD in it.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
You can use Bootcamp to dualboot Windows + OSX or use parallels in OSX to run Windows programs.

Thanks!

Whats this parallels?/ and my programs are basically Sony Vegas (I'm not sure if there is a Mac version), a bunch of batch video converters (Windows only), and some old classic games like RCT and Simcity.

and If I were to dual boot would I have to have to hit Enter everytime I booted up or can I set one OS as an usual default and only bring up the other one when needed

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post

More than $1000 USD? I think ya got that mixed up. To the OP, buy it. The 13.3 MBP is probably the best bang for your buck laptop when priced at $1300, let alone for under $1000. The battery life is fantastic...I'd take mine off to school in the morning at 8:00 a.m. and be fine until 10:00 p.m. with probably 1:00 or 1:30 of it being turned off for lunch, 4:00 to 5:00 of continuous typing in class, and the remaining 6 to 8 hours of it on, but with the screen dimming or going to sleep while I was reading in the library.

In short, no I wasn't getting 14 hours of battery life, but 9 or almost 10 hours, 4 of which was continuous use and the rest with a dim screen or sleeping computer was not unheard of.

Construction wise they're fantastic, but I would be very wary of doing thinks yourself to them. Their warranty service is fantastic, but if you pop open the bottom yourself, I can't imagine that does anything good for it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I believe Apple actually offers instructions on how to swap out the hard drive, one of the few things they let you service yourself. It takes some t6 screws though, so if you don't have a t6 screwdriver you'll have to find one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts