Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 33.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By about the middle of April, I plan on purchasing a new netbook and I need some input. I'm leaning really really heavily towards the Asus EEE PC1000HE. The ONLY thing that I'm not fond of is the higher weight and "chunkiness" compared to...say...the samsung NC-10. As far as performance and specs however, the PC1000HE takes the cake. ABGN wireless card, Bluetooth, Easily accessible ram, and TONS of battery life. It's just not quite as svelte as the samsung. Also the PRICE is amazing.

Anyway. I need to know what you guys think.

EDIT: Stipulations for this netbook is a six-cell battery and a 10" screen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I suggest waiting.

The ASUS 1004DN might be coming out later this year and will feature a optical drive. So at least wait for that netbook before buying. I'm expecting the price to be around $500-600.

If you have to get one now, my suggestion is the ASUS 1000HE. The battery life and the "chicklet" style keyboard more than make up for the 1/2 pound of extra weight as compared to the NC10.

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
i find the ddispute between the two boils down to the same issue for me. to be honest i'd bag the 1000he. the price difference at newegg steals the win for the he.

to be fair you can't go wrong either way

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas
View Post

I suggest waiting.

The ASUS 1004DN might be coming out later this year and will feature a optical drive. So at least wait for that netbook before buying. I'm expecting the price to be around $500-600.

I personally think that an optical drive kinda defeats the purpose of a netbook. i mean, why add the biggest energy waster to something that is supposed to be for mobile use only anyway. It's going to be used expressly for that purpose. It's not a desktop replacement notebook (I have two of those), it's not a gaming notebook, it's something for me mainly for work on the go. Maybe I should also add something.

The reason that I am getting this in April:

My mother's laptop went kaput. It's lasted long for belonging to an average, casual user (5 years). She needs to get something soon, as she needs it for school (my mom's back in college, and gets better grades than I did). What I told her is that I would save her some money. I'm not happy with the laptop that I purchased (too big, even though it's only 14", don't like the hardware, proprietary sony crap, driver issues with linux, etc.) so I figured I would trade my laptop (which I bought six months ago for about $1500) for a new netbook, and she would have something that still has a five year warranty on it as well as something that is functioning, and I would get my netbook out of the deal. It has to wait until April because my parents are selling their house the first week of April, and that is when she is going to get a new laptop.

There's the story.

$500 or less
10" matte screen
6-cell battery
Bluetooth
Camera
Easily upgradable RAM and HDD
less than 3.5lbs

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r View Post
why add the biggest energy waster to something that is supposed to be for mobile use only anyway.
Actually the traditional platter HDD (like one that comes with the 1000HE) generally consumes more power than a mere slim-type optical drive. Or perhaps about as much, according to this THG forum thread.

I'm offering it out as some like to have optical drive since their work data might reside on disc media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r
$500 or less
10" matte screen
6-cell battery
Bluetooth
Camera
Easily upgradable RAM and HDD
less than 3.5lbs
At this rate, the ASUS 1000HE still fits your bill the best since it offers Bluetooth, is $375 on Amazon (free shipping), RAM and HDD can be replaced easily, has a hi-cap 6-cell battery, the screen is somewhat matte, and it has a 9+ hour battery life (in Power Saving Mode via HybridEngine). Wireless N is via the 2.4 GHz band only.

The Acer Aspire One D150 comes in as a close second, but you'll have to get a USB Bluetooth Dongle. It does, however, offer an option of WiMAX and 3G connectivity.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas
View Post

Actually the traditional platter HDD (like one that comes with the 1000HE) generally consumes more power than a mere slim-type optical drive. Or perhaps about as much, according to this THG forum thread.

I'm offering it out as some like to have optical drive since their work data might reside on disc media.

At this rate, the ASUS 1000HE still fits your bill the best since it offers Bluetooth, is $375 on Amazon (free shipping), RAM and HDD can be replaced easily, has a hi-cap 6-cell battery, the screen is somewhat matte, and it has a 9+ hour battery life (in Power Saving Mode via HybridEngine). Wireless N is via the 2.4 GHz band only.

The Acer Aspire One D150 comes in as a close second, but you'll have to get a USB Bluetooth Dongle. It does, however, offer an option of WiMAX and 3G connectivity.

In the future I plan on replcing the HDD with an SSD and replacing the wireless card with the Intel 4965 ABGN minicard..

I'll probably go with the 1000HE

·
Registered
693 Posts
I recently got an S101 and i love it. Works great for taking notes. But, I would only get one of these if it is going to be used as a secondary system. I do all my heavy work on my desktop, and consider myself a desktop person. I am in college and after I laid everything out that I wanted in a laptop/netbook this came out on top and was resonably priced compared to the others. Based on what I wanted (SSD HDD, Wireless N, bluetooth, SDcard slot) this laptop came out about $80 more than all of the others. I was plannig on doing the respected upgrades to get what I wanted.

The reasons I chose the s101 was becasue of the size and style. I could validate spending an extra $80 just for this, but I actually got more than I expected. It says the netbook only comes with a 16gb SSD HD but what they don't tell you is that you also get a 16gb SD card along with 30gb of free online storage. So don't be worried about space. Another thing is that for some reson the s101 seems to have better battery life than the 1002HA.

The reasons I didn't choose the others are:
NC10 - no bluetooth/wireless N, no SD card slot
1000 - read about touch pad issues, no wireless N/bluetooth
1002ha - crappy battery life
Lenovo - only comes with a 3cell battery, no wirelessN/bluetooth

I waited for the MSI U120 to come out, but was really dissapointed when it did, because you can't upgrade to 2gig of memory. there is no spot for it on the mobo, the 1gig is soldered into the mobo and can't be removed.

I was also going to wait for the Atom dual cores, but the benchmarks were horrible with the Atom dual core desktop version. not to mention that it will probably be another year till they figure out the battery consumtion issue out and can make a respectable netbook. (read something similar to this in a recent article on JKKmobile)

but, if you can afford it I would relly reccomend the s101. runs awesome with 2gig of mem. For $20 the 2gig upgrade shouln't even be questioned. But I had no issues with 1gig either adn was running NetBeans, Powerpoint viewer, Word, and Firefox without any issues (with 1gig installed)

Finally, I thought I would have to put linux on this to add some zip to it, but like I said I had no issues running all those apps while in 'low power' mode. I might just keep XP on, get another SD card an run linux off of that.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiNiSt3r View Post
I recently got an S101 and i love it. Works great for taking notes. But, I would only get one of these if it is going to be used as a secondary system. I do all my heavy work on my desktop, and consider myself a desktop person. I am in college and after I laid everything out that I wanted in a laptop/netbook this came out on top and was resonably priced compared to the others. Based on what I wanted (SSD HDD, Wireless N, bluetooth, SDcard slot) this laptop came out about $80 more than all of the others. I was plannig on doing the respected upgrades to get what I wanted.

The reasons I chose the s101 was becasue of the size and style. I could validate spending an extra $80 just for this, but I actually got more than I expected. It says the netbook only comes with a 16gb SSD HD but what they don't tell you is that you also get a 16gb SD card along with 30gb of free online storage. So don't be worried about space. Another thing is that for some reson the s101 seems to have better battery life than the 1002HA.

The reasons I didn't choose the others are:
NC10 - no bluetooth/wireless N, no SD card slot
1000 - read about touch pad issues, no wireless N/bluetooth
1002ha - crappy battery life
Lenovo - only comes with a 3cell battery, no wirelessN/bluetooth

I waited for the MSI U120 to come out, but was really dissapointed when it did, because you can't upgrade to 2gig of memory. there is no spot for it on the mobo, the 1gig is soldered into the mobo and can't be removed.

I was also going to wait for the Atom dual cores, but the benchmarks were horrible with the Atom dual core desktop version. not to mention that it will probably be another year till they figure out the battery consumtion issue out and can make a respectable netbook. (read something similar to this in a recent article on JKKmobile)

but, if you can afford it I would relly reccomend the s101. runs awesome with 2gig of mem. For $20 the 2gig upgrade shouln't even be questioned. But I had no issues with 1gig either adn was running NetBeans, Powerpoint viewer, Word, and Firefox without any issues (with 1gig installed)

Finally, I thought I would have to put linux on this to add some zip to it, but like I said I had no issues running all those apps while in 'low power' mode. I might just keep XP on, get another SD card an run linux off of that.
It certainly is pretty, but I have to justify it somehow, and I can't do that with a paltry 5 hour battery life. If it had 7+ hours, sure I could probably go for it. It definitely is the best-looking netbook out there, bar-none, and I like some of the functionality, but I can't justify the higher price and reduced battery life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.