Overclock.net banner

Getting a new amd gaming rig!suggestions!

497 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  LuckySe7ens
here are the components

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10118332

im keeping the amd 940 at stock speeds since i only game and it has the gtx 285 =)
suggestions anyone?everything compatible??
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
nope looks good just get better ram and hard drive i suggest a wd 640gb black edition one of the fastest you can buy and for ram corsair and the psu get the 650w version because that is over kill you could probably sli and unless your running a 24inch monitor you could probaly go with the 260 gtx core 216 55nm edition
well i would suggest to get 720be
because its an AM3 and you can upgrade to am3/ddr3 mobo/ram for little boost... or wait till mid april for the new 945 am3 because 940 is AM2
720BE you can oc to 3.4 with no problem well i havent tried 3.6 and above but i will soon
for TIM go with ocz freeze
its pretty good... with the money that you will save if you buy 720BE you can buy additional Case Fans...
See less See more
Get better RAM or you will kick yourself in the future. For that price, I believe you can easily get some DDR2 1066, maybe even some PI @ 1100 Mhz! Just look around because DDR2 is dirt cheap right now and there's no reason you should be spending 50 bucks on 800 mhz ram.

EDIT: Also, think about saving some money and buying a gtx 280 instead, or going for some sort of crossfire configuration. People really didn't see much performance increase with gtx 285 over a 280. 4850s in crossfire are fairly cheap and will outperform the 285.
You have to change many components

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz (you don't need a quad core for gaming)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P (better mobo)
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB
GFX: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB (crossfire on a stick)
Sound: Integrated
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (Dual processor / 32 MB cache)
Optical: LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner SATA
Case: NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series (more airflow, good looking one)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W (you don't need more than that)
Fan: OCZ OCZTVEND2
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC COOLING MX-2

Total= $1,074.90
See less See more
Your current mobo has a VERY odd way about doing x16 PCI-e. I would suggest something else.
Repost?

Anyway, get different RAM!

Pick up at least 1066 RAM or you'll be mad at yourself when you start overclocking.

The gtx 285 is pretty horrible price / performance value. The 4850 x2 has been beating is in most benchmarks and can be had for almost 100 bucks less. For even less than that, and very little drop in performance (approximately equal to a gtx 280, very slightly worse than 285) you can do two 4830s in crossfire. They've been performing incredibly well and can be had for about 80 bucks each.
Lots more still has to be changed.

If you're staying at stock speeds, you will see very little increase in performance with the 940 over the 920. Go with the 920.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165018

This is a great combo. You might even do triple or quad crossfire with some 4830s as they scale really well.

Finally, 750W is more power than you'll ever need.

The corsair 650tx would be more than enough.

Make these changes and the system would be golden.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh
View Post

If you're staying at stock speeds, you will see very little increase in performance with the 940 over the 920. Go with the 920.

This is a great combo. You might even do triple or quad crossfire with some 4830s as they scale really well.

that plus a HD4850x2. Great video card for the price. It beats the gtx285 in many benchmarks.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

beat me to it.

This.

Also you dont need the dark night. You can save 10$ and get the regular one unless you are paying for it to be black.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by vi3t_boy
View Post

that plus a HD4850x2. Great video card for the price. It beats the gtx285 in many benchmarks.

Yeah, I mentioned the 4850x2 in the post right above that as another alternative.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by vi3t_boy
View Post

Min or Max FPS? Min is more important and usually a single card does better at min fps then a dual
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens
View Post

beat me to it.

This.

Also you dont need the dark night. You can save 10$ and get the regular one unless you are paying for it to be black.

QFT (Quoted For Truth) - Obviously no longer a shorthand, but just trying to spread the lingo / knowledge!

As he said, don't pay extra for it to be black.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

QFT (Quoted For Truth) - Obviously no longer a shorthand, but just trying to spread the lingo / knowledge!

As he said, don't pay extra for it to be black.

For the intel crowd it matters b/c you get mounting hardware, but for the AMD guys its really just fluff.
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.