Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title states, im upgrading from a EVGA E760 Classified board, with 24G of corsair vengeance RAM and an i7 930. ive been very happy with EVGA stuff for the last 6 years (3 older builds) and its now time to upgrade again. the 1155/1156 is out of the question as these items are far inferior to the 2011 stuff. i like higher end, and do mild overclocking for heavy gaming and a bit of benchmarking. everyone is says "get this", or "get that" because its what they own. i really dont care if you own some MB and think its the best ever. maybe it is for you. will it be for me? and why? i've got about $1500 USD to spend so lets find a good setup and dont just fire off part numbers. i can go to neweg for that. i would like to know why a 6 core will be better for me that a 4 core, and why i need 24GB of RAM vs 12GB...

i also already have a 120GB SSD, a 1TB HDD, 1050w PSU, GTX580sc, and a badass Lian Li case. i will be watercooling with a Corsair H100i as well.

Thank you guys for your feedback and i look forward to posting pics soon with screenies of my overclocks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme seems to be the most well received 2011 board and if you like overclocking you should get the 3930k.
aaaaaand why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme seems to be the most well received 2011 board and if you like overclocking you should get the 3930k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme seems to be the most well received 2011 board and if you like overclocking you should get the 3930k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

aaaaaand why.
I think this is the right move and a substantial upgrade path to the upcoming ivy-E CPUs.
I would do this myself but I don't have the funds, and 1155 is not for the high end spectrum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

aaaaaand why.
Unlocked multiplier for a start, if you're going x79 there isn't much point in getting a 3820 as the 3770k is better value and doesn't rely on FSB overclocking. The 3770k is also better clock for clock too! And you have the fun in de-lidding!

It's not even an extra $200 here for the 3930k, honestly if I had the cash i'd get a 3930k too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

aaaaaand why.
Rampage IV Extreme, or RIVE for short is a very feature rich Motherboard designed for Extreme Overclocker with Liquid Nitrogen OC support. For normal OC it is quite overkill but most people buy it just because it is ASUS's Flagship product.

However RIVE have been out of stock at most North American retailers and there are speculations the reason for the low stock is that ASUS might have discontinued the product. For Most Overclockers, the Rampage IV Formula or P9X79 Pro will be enough to push 3930K to a very good Overclock, Imo the best budget board is the Gigabyte X79-UP4 at just around $250.

3930K is recommended because it offers far more performance than 3820 because it have unlocked multiplers + 6 cores instead of 4, the $1000+ 3960X/3970X don't overclock any better than 3930K($540 on Newegg right now) and only have better performance at stock frequencies.

Hexcore CPUs are significantly faster than Quadcores in Multithread applications such as Video Encoding & Data Compression, ofc they are also much better at multitasking as well. Unless you do a lot of photoshop or VM work you shouldn't need more than 16GB of Ram, I recommend getting 4 stick of 4GB Ram minimum(thus 16GB) to ultiize X79 platform's Quad channel memory.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

The ASUS Rampage IV Extreme seems to be the most well received 2011 board and if you like overclocking you should get the 3930k.
The RIVE was nothing but headaches for me. Not just for me though, for my co-workers and customers as well. I had the RIVE for a good 3 months and all I experienced was random BSOD's, restarts, and laggy PC's. Sometimes my PC would take a good 10 minutes to shut off. Plus as I already stated, I wasn't exactly alone in this situation - it happened to others as well.

Not to say it's a terrible board, but it's not without its bugs. I'm sure there are many, many happy customers - I just was not one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
RIVE + 3930k seem to be the ideal combo around OCN. I recommend that for the reasons you can find in their specific threads. I'm saying that owning a 2011 board myself (Sabertooth X79 & 3820) since personally I don't need a $500 CPU or MOBO and was looking for longevity over overclocking power and scores. That being said I still hit my ideal 4.5Ghz 24/7 with good temps and all power saving features so feel free to go my route if you wish but expect a different way of overclocking than you may be use to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuhhhh View Post

The RIVE was nothing but headaches for me. Not just for me though, for my co-workers and customers as well. I had the RIVE for a good 3 months and all I experienced was random BSOD's, restarts, and laggy PC's. Sometimes my PC would take a good 10 minutes to shut off. Plus as I already stated, I wasn't exactly alone in this situation - it happened to others as well.

Not to say it's a terrible board, but it's not without its bugs. I'm sure there are many, many happy customers - I just was not one of them.
I've never really experienced an ASUS board, they seem alright but I've NEVER had a problem with a Gigabyte board and all of the builds that I have done I always go with Gigabytes UD range and they're really nice quality (Feel and actual quality)

The AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 had good features but it didn't feel the same quality as say my Z77x-D3H (It's the only non Gigabyte board that I've dealt with)
Oh and Intel ones but they don't count, especially because it was an old G31 board
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

I've never really experienced an ASUS board, they seem alright but I've NEVER had a problem with a Gigabyte board and all of the builds that I have done I always go with Gigabytes UD range and they're really nice quality (Feel and actual quality)

The AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 had good features but it didn't feel the same quality as say my Z77x-D3H (It's the only non Gigabyte board that I've dealt with)
Oh and Intel ones but they don't count, especially because it was an old G31 board
tongue.gif
I agree. Gigabyte has always been great to me and I have never had an issue with one that I have purchased. I am enjoying the UP5-Wifi more than I ever enjoyed the RIVE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
If I were to go 2011 now I would get the up4 or the rampage formula paired with a six core*would get the
3820 first though. And be done with it.
Since the rive is rumored to be discontinued I would get the next in line.....
We all know evgad line up now sucks for 2011, but there coming put with the x79 Dark and hoping they've fixed the issues their line up has that would be the board to get.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
I was deciding between the RIVE or the P9X79 Deluxe. In the end I went with the Deluxe because of the additional features and ports available. I also didn't like the fact the FIVE had an integrated fan in the heatsink. I've had those fans chipset go out on me in the past, and I didn't want that issue. As for the 3930k, its the lowest priced 6-core CPU. if you are going with a quad core, you might as well go for the 3770K and save some money.

Having said all of that, I just wanted to ask why you are going for the 2011 over the 1155? And why not wait until June to get Haswell and 1150. Your current system should hold you over until June... If you said you wanted to run more than 2 video cards, like 3 or 4 cards, then yes go 2011. I honestly should have gone 1155 instead of 2011 for what I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

I honestly should have gone 1155 instead of 2011 for what I do.
Yeah, but if you went 1155, your room would not be as toasty as it would with a 3930k. If I lived in Alaska, I would want the heat :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after reading reviews on quite a few 2011 boards, it almost seems hit and miss with ANY manufacturer.. not good... and whats this i hear about the processors not supporting PCI-e 3.0 because of the sandy bridge and not ivy bridge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

after reading reviews on quite a few 2011 boards, it almost seems hit and miss with ANY manufacturer.. not good... and whats this i hear about the processors not supporting PCI-e 3.0 because of the sandy bridge and not ivy bridge?
The SB-E's don't have the PCI-E 3.0 controller only the 2.1 Controller, the only processors that have PCI-E 3.0 as of now are Ivy Bridges..

EDIT: Not too sure if I'm correct with what I just said.. But that's what I remember hearing a while back, if you're running wtih nVidia's 600 series look Here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

The SB-E's don't have the PCI-E 3.0 controller only the 2.1 Controller, the only processors that have PCI-E 3.0 as of now are Ivy Bridges..

EDIT: Not too sure if I'm correct with what I just said.. But that's what I remember hearing a while back, if you're running wtih nVidia's 600 series look Here
and the ivy bridge is limited to socket 1155... THIS MESSES MY WHOLE WOLRD UP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xann27 View Post

and the ivy bridge is limited to socket 1155... THIS MESSES MY WHOLE WOLRD UP!
I'd honestly just get a 3930k then sell it when you can get Ivy-E. How many graphics cards are you planning on running?
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
I'm thoroughly happy with my P9X79 Deluxe, 3930K and H100i. There are several reasons I went with a Socket 2011 over 1155 platform:

- Larger economical memory support. If you need more than 32GB RAM for things like running multiple virtual servers under Hyper-V, you might actually want more than 32GB of RAM. 8 DIMM sockets lets you go to 64GB using relatively inexpensive 8GB modules. As for Dual Channel vs Quad Channel RAM, outside of a few memory bandwidth benchmarks, there isn't much difference in real-world performance.

- More cores. I do a lot of DVD/Blu-Ray ripping, and it is not unusual for me to run two or three servers in Hyper-V to model my production web hosting environment. The i7-3930K was the obivous choice here. I could have bought a 3970X for $600 more, but the 2-3% boost in performance wasn't worth it. My 3930K runs 4.2 GHz turbo clock with nothing more than a 42x multiplier and a NEGATIVE 0.050 voltage offset with the H100i.

- The next generation of high end processors from Intel will be Socket 2011. People talk about Haswell and Socket 1150 all the time, but the leaked Intel roadmaps show Haswell 1150 as a midrange platform. Ivy Bridge-E will be Socket 2011, and unless they do something radically different than they did with Ivy Bridge 3770K, it's probably going to be 10-15% faster than SB-E hex core for the IB-E hex core options. Rumors abound that IB-E will have up to 12 or 15 cores. I'll believe it when I see it.

My estimation is that a Socket 2011 will hold you over until the successor to Ivy Bridge-E comes around, and DDR4 is in the picture. Figure early-mid 2015 timeframe.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

I'd honestly just get a 3930k then sell it when you can get Ivy-E. How many graphics cards are you planning on running?
smile.gif
selling a used processor. um, no.

i plan on running 2 GTX580 SCs. i already have one.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top