Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have quite a high spec PC and I am using a 4k 60Hz monitor. For the games that I am playing, I have the quality settings pretty much where I want them to be (all high to ultra etc).

I usually don't bother playing the games at 4k and mostly stick to 1440p. I lock my FPS at 60 to match the screen refresh rate using a res of 1440p but i can easily get more than 60fps. However, some games I cannot manage to hold 60fps in 4k.

Question is, as i can't quite get to 60fps at 4k, should i create a custom resolution (somewhere between 1440p and 4k) and use the extra fps that i have spare?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Probably not ideal as the monitor may not support it natively.

Have you thought about OC the refresh rate on the monitor to see if 1440p can support at a much higher refresh rate? Therefore can be used from the higher FPS gains?

If not, why not just game in 4k?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought that if the monitor has a native resolution of 4k, then it can work with any custom resolution up to 4k?!

Yes, I have thought about OC'ing the refresh rate and I have done this with success. I can run the monitor at 75Hz @ 1440p and in the games that i play, i can maintain a stable locked 75 FPS.

I do not want to play at 4k @ 60Hz as i cannot maintain 60fps. I will not play games at below 60fps. I just can't bear the stuttering.

So, my point is, if the monitor will support any custom resolution up to 4k, shouldnt i set the refresh rate to 60Hz, lock at 60fps and use the spare fps firepower that i can achieve to enjoy a slightly higher resolution than 1440p?

What is your opinion? Should I:

a) Use 1440p and OC the Hz of the monitor to 75Hz/75fps

or

b) Set monitor to 60Hz/60fps and enjoy better game resolution using a custom res

Which option would "appear" better?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts