Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I'm planning to get the Auzentech X-Fi Forte when I upgrade to Core i5 at the end of the month and I was wondering if the Windows 7 64-bit drivers are good and if there are any static problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Fine over here.
Just make sure the op amp is installed correctly. Mine was backwards.
Awesome. Absolutely no crashes, static, or anything?

Do you happen to have an image of the X-Fi Forte with the op-amp correctly installed?

Oh yeah, how many slots away from the graphics card did you place the sound card?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockadile Dundee
View Post

No problems whatsoever here. The difference in sound quality is striking. You don't notice how much noise (I don't know if that is the correct term, but I mean static-like noise, not EMI) there is, until you try a nice sound card.

Thanks for the reassurance.

+rep for those who helped.

·
Data Scientist
384 Posts
Every so often I get a static problem, which is solved by restarting the Windows Audio Engine in services. It's a little frustrating, but it doesn't happen often - and generally when it does, it occurs directly after closing WoW or Ventrilo.

Still, it's a good card, and I like it a helluva lot better than any of the previous cards I've owned - the other X-Fi cards, etc.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
After LONG LONG LONG listening and gaming sessions. I occasionally get static when I try to listen to something new, but all I have to do is switch mode and it works fine.

EX: Did a Warhammer online 5 hour binge. Exit out and try to play a video. It'll be distorted.

I don't know what causes it, but I am pretty sure its just some sort of memory leak or basic driver issue. Prolly the same thing as Hal.

Mine is right below my 5850 overclocked and overvolted. With a good power supply, MB, and grounds I have 0 interference. I might get some EMP paper and fab or find a heatsink(s) for it.

I absolutely love the card though. I can't believe people say there is no reason to get a discrete sound card anymore.

As far as the op amp position. The sound was horrible and super low when I first installed it. So I flipped it around. I didn't look for anything with the pin position or markers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to go from a Prelude to a Forte? I've loved my Prelude for a long time, but I hear the Forte has a nice headphone amp built-in. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sandman-
View Post

Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to go from a Prelude to a Forte? I've loved my Prelude for a long time, but I hear the Forte has a nice headphone amp built-in. What are your thoughts?

From what I have read if you want a headphone amp its better to buy a separate one. The prelude is still a great card and not worth the upgrade.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Love the forte, have zero issues with drivers

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the X-Fi features of the Forte, but the static problem some of you guys are experiencing at times really turned me down.

I'm really aiming towards the ASUS Xonar D2X because EAX 5.0 isn't that much of a necessity for me.

Unless they fix the problem by Saturday (ordering my stuff that day) then I'm just gonna have to go with the Xonar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts