Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting BF3 on friday, what should I expect? And are there any tips and tricks? I'm completely new to the BF3 universe.

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
I'm probably going to get held hostage and screamed at for this, but I honestly don't find BF3 too great. It is a very beautiful game, the visual side of the game is breathtaking, and I do tip my hat off to Dice for doing such a great job. However, the gameplay aspect of it is just like every other FPS out there currently. Nothing new that you haven't seen before. Same score pop-ups and same ways to kill people.

It's only fun for so long.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

I'm probably going to get held hostage and screamed at for this, but I honestly don't find BF3 too great. It is a very beautiful game, the visual side of the game is breathtaking, and I do tip my hat off to Dice for doing such a great job. However, the gameplay aspect of it is just like every other FPS out there currently. Nothing new that you haven't seen before. Same score pop-ups and same ways to kill people.
If you don't make it out of this thread alive, it's been great. God speed.

OT: Actually use the squad system.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Yes, BF3 needs Origin to play.

The only thing I can really suggest is PTFO. That is Play The F- Objective. That's how you level. Capture flags. Attack MCOM's, Guard flags, Guard MCOMs. I also recommend working with your team and squad. Always join a squad, you get bonus points for giving them ammo, giving them health, reviving them, etc. Drop health and ammo near your team/squad constantly. Once you get some points in the Assault class, you unlock the defibrillator and then you can start reviving teammates. Reviving a teammate not only saves your team a respawn ticket, but gets you 100-110 points, the same amount as a kill. This is actually a great way to earn some points, level up a bit, help your team, and learn the maps in the process because you'll be staying back behind your guys a little bit and learning the map as you guys push up.

Also, make some friends and play with them, stick together, and play smart. Other than that, it's really just learning the maps. Once you learn your vantage points, the game gets a lot easier.

Oh, one last one... PRO TIP: This isn't Modern Warfare. Don't go rushing in all bull in a china shop style. Watch your angles, move up strategically, let the enemies walk into your crosshairs instead of vice versa.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm pretty new too; but one problem im having: I played the beta and there were no connection issues I mean it ran fine so I eventually preordered the game thinking it would be similar and gameplay it is I mean it's really fun, but the lag I get on some servers is unbelievable.

So one thing you may want to keep in mind is your connection. Mine isn't great but it worked fine in the beta and my pings not too bad. But sometimes it's not even worth bothering when the tank your driving keeps going forward instead of turning around the cluster of boulders because of lag.

I've looked into it a bit and I'm not the only one that gets it, and on some servers I'm fine! But on a good 85% of the servers I play it can't even be described as lag, it's more like someone cut one of the cables along the line! So that can get annoying but so can all lag
wink.gif

I've heard some people blame the servers and others blame the bf3 code but I think it may have something to do with the sheer size of everything; maps are huge, player count up to 64 players, variety of vehicles. I mainly think this because I've played cod and other games for a while and as long as I find a good server there's no lag at all the main difference is the size of the teams in cod the max is 16? But don't get me wrong I really am enjoying bf3 just hope they patch whatever the problem is soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I can offer one tip for a newcomer: Persist

The game is hard on newbies and too many quit in frustration and don't pick it up again. It gets much more fun as you gain experience.

From what i remember when i first started, flying was the most frustrating as i'd frequently be shot down by stingers. And as i lacked any countermeasures, i was kinda screwed. Back then i didn't have the agility in flight as i do now.

I posted a video that details a few things that go through my mind as i fly, you can find it here:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm playing more MW2 and BO SND. I know it's ineffective training, but it's the best I can do. I could try and play Crysis 2. From what I can tell from you guys: Play assault, stay back, try and play the objective, and NEVER EVER RUSH.

·
PC Evangelist
47,518 Posts
Try to forget everything you know about COD and you should be good. If you try to pull a COD style and you can the game will very fast start to get boring. Start with land vehicles first then heli then jet. At first Heli will be very hard but once you get use too it you can bull some nice tricks. Also capture flags. If you truly want to experience BF3 stick to large conquest. Dont play team death match.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenzjhen View Post

Add me dhenzjhen so we could go and kill bad guys together
biggrin.gif

By the way I'm from SJ.
PM so I can remember. Label it something that'll make me remember to add you.
smile.gif
I'm near the mission area.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osea23 View Post

Getting BF3 on friday, what should I expect? And are there any tips and tricks? I'm completely new to the BF3 universe.
if you are new to BF entirely then you should Play BF2 or BF2142. Or Even BF 2 BC is great. BF3 is not true battlefield and was a let down for a lot of bf veterans imo. It looks good but the gameplay feels buggy and much like the crappy call of duty ish games.
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

I whole heatedly agree with you. this game is not true Battlefield, like mafia 2 was not true mafia: city of lost heaven. I myself dont like it much either, doesn't have much replay value. And to be completely honest if you pay enough attention to the visuals up close, you will see they aren't all that great. BF3 to be feels like a very good looking call of duty. Just over hyped and over the top fanboyism.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Play the objective, play your class as it mean to be played.
Be accurate when you fire, (personal stat)
Get an high score per minute, which mean you play the objective
Aim for head
Spot always, press Q (default button) always, even if your behind a guy, spot him, give an easy extra 20 point + if he have a claymore for instance, your mate can easily kill him since hes spotted on the map

Medic : heal and revive people, get alot of kill ( easiest class to play, more point, more kill, always in action)
Engineer : repair vehicule, rpg vehicule, good at close range (3rd class to play) ( better in conquest)
Support : gives ammo, LMG (noob class in my opinion, no accuracy needed, camping class, noob always have it) (2nd in difficulty)
Recon : sniper, Aim for head, especially this class. hard to play the objective since your supposed to be away from the mass(hardest class to play, but can also be the best one ( aggressive recon with talent is pretty powerful))

As you begin, start with team Dm or rush.
Its hard to play in conquest , you'll be more lost and you wont kill many people since you dont know the map

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post

I can offer one tip for a newcomer: Persist
The game is hard on newbies and too many quit in frustration and don't pick it up again. It gets much more fun as you gain experience.
From what i remember when i first started, flying was the most frustrating as i'd frequently be shot down by stingers. And as i lacked any countermeasures, i was kinda screwed. Back then i didn't have the agility in flight as i do now.
I posted a video that details a few things that go through my mind as i fly, you can find it here:
wow your piloting skill is pro! what do you use to fly? if u use m&kb what's ur configuration?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts