Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i recently picked up a Asus p5nt deluxe/780i main board and a E8400 and im trying to get it to 4ghz while keeping it stable.

what i have done so far..

unlinked the cpu/ram clocks and put the ram to 800mhz for testing sake. its corsair dominator 1066 stuff.

Upped the Fsb to 445x4 to bring cpu clock to 4ghz.

At these settings it boots fine and seems fine i ran prime 95 to see how it goes and got some errors.

[Thu Oct 30 14:42:15 2008]
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 79EA3773, expected: 3247CE82.
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Thu Oct 30 15:22:46 2008]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

I havnt changed the voltages on the Cpu or the Mobo at all yet, if i do this will it make it a bit more stable? the temps are fine under load im getting about 46/47'c idle is 38/39'c. Or do i need to clock the ram up higher? i cant see this changing the stability on the cpu tho..?

Thank you in advance
Kerelm.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerelm View Post
I havnt changed the voltages on the Cpu or the Mobo at all yet, if i do this will it make it a bit more stable?
Thank you in advance
Kerelm.
How do you overclock a 3.0GHz processor to 4 without changing the voltage?

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Powelly View Post
How do you overclock a 3.0GHz processor to 4 without changing the voltage?

i didnt see tht lol. it would be real hard to. and hes even on a non reference 780i too. we need SS of CPUz

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post
Why is your multiplier only 4x?
hes making the point of the quad pumped FSB. so his FSB x 4 is 1780 QDR. his actual multi is 9 so that would set his overall speed to 4001

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
*sigh* Bump up your vcore, dude! Will allow you to run much more stable, and achieve higher clocks. All your hardware is great, but you need a bit of a nudge in the right direction....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man im well confused yeh looked back over what i said, few mistakes.. ok here is SS of cpu-z.

i took 2 the clock speed is changing on cpu-z i have no idea whats going on?

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerelm
View Post

man im well confused yeh looked back over what i said, few mistakes.. ok here is SS of cpu-z.

i took 2 the clock speed is changing on cpu-z i have no idea whats going on?

bump up your voltage to 1.26 and disable C1E and speedstep in your bios. thats why your speed is jumping.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans81
View Post

Yes, and it may require more but you want to go slow when upping vcore.

1.26 is a small jump. hes getting into windows on 1.2 so he shouldnt need to much of a bump

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so it turns out i had the vcore on 1.31250v and when i put it down to 1.26 it BSOD when it got to windows.

Edit, also it says that C1 thing is disabled but its still changing my clock speeds.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just keep upping the voltage until you find a level that will make your system stable and leave you with reasonable temps - what's the max voltage you should put E8400 on lemans?

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
1.365v is the limit, but I usually recommend to people to stop at 1.34v - 1.35v just to be safe. I personally have run one of my E8400s to 1.39v for a benchmark, not a safe place to be full time.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
humm i thought you were at 1.2... my old e8400 needed 1.35 set in bios to be stable there

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans81
View Post

1.365v is the limit, but I usually recommend to people to stop at 1.34v - 1.35v just to be safe. I personally have run one of my E8400s to 1.39v for a benchmark, not a safe place to be full time.

dude thats not even close to being true. 1.39 isnt even high at all for benches. try 1.65. i put 1.63 through my old e8400 and it never missed a beat at all, and 1.65 through my E8600.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so i tryed to change the vots to 1.26 but it bsod's on me running it at 1.3125 it boots fine.

its set to 1.3125 but cpuz says its 1.26

C1 and speedstep are both disabled but the cpu is still jumping speeds.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
CPU-z is fairly crap at determining voltage I've discovered...Anyways, good luck Kerelm
Keep us updated on how the clock goes! Also, loving your 5600+ clock - what voltage have you got that on?

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerelm
View Post

ok so i tryed to change the vots to 1.26 but it bsod's on me running it at 1.3125 it boots fine.

its set to 1.3125 but cpuz says its 1.26

C1 and speedstep are both disabled but the cpu is still jumping speeds.

you have a horrid Vdroop. google for a vdroop mod and that will fix your issue. i was able to drop my vcore down 2 notches after the mod.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts