Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well bought some new hardware but having troubles getting it to work.

Have bought an Corsair RM750 PSU and a Asus R9 290-DC2OC-4G5D.

Installed the new PSU and GPU but booting up the system was getting me nowhere, mostly got stuck at bios screen. Even if i got into bios it got stuck after a couple of seconds. So removed the new GPU and placed the old one back in, still had same issues. so i reconnect my old CM 500W PSU and it booted up just fine. Installed the new GPU with my old power supply and it still boots up fine exept it kept crashing after a couple of minutes. So i figured my old PSU isnt cut out for the new GPU but works fine with the old one, so i brought back the PSU to the store and told them my problem. They said weird, should be working fine or not at all, but they tested the new PSU anyway and it worked fine on their testing rig. But said i wanted to change to a different model so i bought an Seasonic Platinum-760.

So i rebuild my rig with the new PSU and new GPU and it booted up without any interference. But then after starting up a browser or booting up a light game (gmod) it crashes right away. And it keeps doing this every time. Removed my CPU overclock, still same problems. Put back in the old GPU (AMD HD6670), no problems at all.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4,6Ghz / 1.456V
Asus M5A78l-m/usb3 (mATX)
Asus R9 290 OC /HD 6670
Seasonic Platinum-760
Corsair 8GB (2x4) Vengeance 1866 DDR3
Seasonic
Intel 530 SSD
4x HDD (mix between 7200 and 5400 RPM)
Asus PCE-AC56 WLAN PCI
Aquatuning D5 Vario pump
Aquaero 5LT

Any words of advice?, don't want to RMA my card also and be wrong for the second time.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
measure the voltages on the power supply while doing light tasks and then under load to see how far they drop.

yellow 12v

red 5v

orange 3.3v

and black is ground.

might try hardware monitor. it's hit and miss but is does work-ish.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And what can be the issue with my motherboard? as far as i could check these 2 should be compatible

Even if i wanted to check HM the system crashes when i start up anything small, its a matter of seconds

going to reinstall my windows, see if that helps

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reinstalled windows, looked promising for 20 minutes or so, then after a couple of drivers and programs the crashing started again. So does this look like a mobo GPY compatiblity problem?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Any mobo BIOS updates available?

But looks like you haven't eliminated the new GPU as the culprit either.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
What kind of crashes are you having? Blue screens, black screens? Windows event viewer show anything?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
msinfo32 tells me bios version is 1801, while driver site tells me 1701 is the newest.

crashes are random reboots > windows recovering, no BSOD.

Windows event viewer tells me; ESENT > logging/recovery, nothing more really

put the old GPU back in for the moment so i can work with my pc...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Your motherboard newest BIOS is M5A78L-M/USB3 BIOS 2001.

A M5A78L-M LX PLUS BIOS 1701

AM5A78L-M LX BIOS 1603

Update to newest BIOS and do a full CMOS reset.Reinstall drivers.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
I have the same board and CPU and it ran an R9 295x2 perfectly fine with my CM 1000W PSU. I do know I updated to the 2001 BIOS as soon as I got it though. Only other suggestion I have is my board does not like RAM above 1333mhz, but yours seems to be fine with the old GPU so its hard to say.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardfraser View Post

Your motherboard newest BIOS is M5A78L-M/USB3 BIOS 2001.

A M5A78L-M LX PLUS BIOS 1701

AM5A78L-M LX BIOS 1603

Update to newest BIOS and do a full CMOS reset.Reinstall drivers.
yeah i found out, chose the wrong on the website, doing an update now

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated bios to 2001, swapped my memory from 1886 to 1333, see if that makes any difference, but it is my understanding although i put 1886 memory on the board, the board will only let it run at 1333 speed anyway, so in theory that should not make any difference. will do some testing to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
still didn't work, so still can be the GPU or MOBO.

This are the voltages from HWmonitor @ idle, a bit low, but in bios they look fine....

image.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is there an option in Bios to switch PCI mode (legacy/efi/uefi? Try toggling that to a different mode if there is.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
All signs point towards the GPU at this point.
Do you have access to another computer to test it in?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowie View Post

Reinstalled windows, looked promising for 20 minutes or so, then after a couple of drivers and programs the crashing started again. So does this look like a mobo GPY compatiblity problem?
I had nearly the same thing happen when I got a new GPU. Does your GPU have a reg BIOS as well as UEFI? Also, does it have a switch for LN2?

If youre running a 750w psu, with the r9 290, and an FX chip, Im wondering if you are right around your power limits. Do you hear a little DC chirp at all before the cash?

Also, did you completely remove the old Video card drivers? It sounds like you were able to swap the old card in and have no problems. But Im hoping that you removed all of the old gpu drivers and installed the new ones before testing the new gpu...and then removed those and reinstalled the old ones before swapping the old card in.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
He has plenty of overhead with a 750w PSU.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah got 1, has the same MOBO in it with a different CPU and RAM. Have to be swapping PSU as well if i want to test that. Was thinking about a new MOBO anyway because of the heavy overclocking and my MOBO is the bottleneck in my overclock and 1886 RAM, CPU seems fine for gaming.

Gonna get a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 later today, gonna test that, if i still have problems then i will get my GPU tested at the store.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So a little update. Bought and installed my new mobo, Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. start up no problem, drivers and programs the same. gaming..... well every game i try stutters a lot from the start, GPU temps are around 40 degrees C, newest AMD / ATI drivers installed, but so far no crashes (well i lied, when i applied my old overclock settings i get BSOD). still have to do a lot of stress testing before i make up my mind and decide to RMA my GPU.

But any advice on the stuttering? like i said, no high temps, games are, TF2, HL2 LC, Binary Domain (just some simple downloads to begin with), TF2 / HL2 about 200 / 140 FPS, but micostutters back to 30 / 25 FPS, BD around 60, becomes unplayable, 18 / 15 FPS when moving around, same goes for every game, standing still is okish, moving around and it is starting to stutter alot.

(oh btw, clean install, newest drivers for every component)

Edit: my Asus WLAN PCI card is also in a PCI X16 slot due to the fact the R9 290 covers the PCI x1 slot, could this have any interference?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts