Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was planning to be a Computer Engineer when i grow up, mostly because i love computers and because of the cash it pays. =)

Also, I want to kickstart my summer by getting a Job. I was planning to work at a Local hardware store such as canadacomputers.com so then I have a feel of the field i can get into. But then, what are the chances of a 15 year old kid getting into a store like that?

And on my resume, what could i possibly write with my 'personal experience' with computers? lol. =)

Thanks Guys. =)

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need 4 years over here to get a degree in computer engineering. =)

just a question, do you enjoy it? as well, did you find the corse hard? Thanks. =)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UberN00B

hey guys, i was planning to be a Computer Engineer when i grow up, mostly because i love computers and because of the cash it pays. =)

Also, I want to kickstart my summer by getting a Job. I was planning to work at a Local hardware store such as canadacomputers.com so then I have a feel of the field i can get into. But then, what are the chances of a 15 year old kid getting into a store like that?

And on my resume, what could i possibly write with my 'personal experience' with computers? lol. =)

Thanks Guys. =)

Well, let me start by saying I'm also 15, and I also plan on being a Computer Engineer.

Your chances at working with technology at 15 are very very slim, unless it's a small privately owned store, and you show them that you know what you're doing.

Also, in case you want to follow in my footsteps, my courseload for next year is going to include AP Physics and AP Chem(I'm considered crazy for taking both in one year), AP Statistics, and Science Research Techniques(a class in my school that has you make a project/experiment to be submitted in the Intel Science Competition, pretty renowned).

If you want a good job when you're older, get into a good university. If you want to get into a good university, take lots of classes, do lots of extra-curricular activities!

Good luck, talk to you when we're both Engineers, raking in the dough!

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol goodstuff, I plan on taking Chemistry / Physics, Calculus and another math course, as well as a Computer Engineering course in gr11.. thing is at my school, they have gr11 Comp Engineering, but you need to vote if you want a Gr12 Course, and the majority comes from there... Meh.

Goodluck man, my brother told me it would be a VERY hard course to take, and I need to have a very strong math.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Aw, I wish I had an engineering course in my high school. But yeah, I can't take AP Calc till Senior year, gotta take Precalc first.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aw amped, that sucks.. well, when i get enough money, maybe a million, ill give everybody on fourms like a free rig or something.. lol xD

·
Banned
233 Posts
just lye and copy anothe resume of the internet know one will ask you where you got it

Also wear a big suit when you go to the big guy and dont act stupid and if he offers you a cig take it

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
OK, here is what I would do (and surprisingly what i am doing). First you advertise that you will build and fix computers for people. Next, you advertise in local things like Hyvee Trader, or local market ads. Once you get enough money, and you are old enough you can go to college to get a degree or 10
in computers. You will have TONS of experience from building and fixing peoples computers that college will be a breeze. That is my best advice, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos

OK, here is what I would do (and surprisingly what i am doing). First you advertise that you will build and fix computers for people. Next, you advertise in local things like Hyvee Trader, or local market ads. Once you get enough money, and you are old enough you can go to college to get a degree or 10
in computers. You will have TONS of experience from building and fixing peoples computers that college will be a breeze. That is my best advice, what do you think?

I think that college as an Engineering Major will never be a breeze.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Well, I was just saying that having all that experience under your belt would help alot.
I am just a stupid 15 year old too.

• Rep+
Reactions: UberN00B

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i may apply for Univercity, not college.. or you guys in states call them coleges, im not sure..

And it sounds like a good idea for fixing / building computers. thanks for the idea, rep+

And i guess it would look good on a resume if i had gotten some experience off that. But where and how would i go from FIXING computers? lol

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Or if you want, you could instead of going to college, just start your own local computer business, in a small town (like 9000-15000 pop).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
But, mabey you (and me) should get some REAL advice from some serious older people who know what they are talking about eh?

EDIT: WOW thanks for the +rep!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UberN00B

I think i may apply for Univercity, not college.. or you guys in states call them coleges, im not sure..

And it sounds like a good idea for fixing / building computers. thanks for the idea, rep+

And i guess it would look good on a resume if i had gotten some experience off that. But where and how would i go from FIXING computers? lol

In the US, College is the same as University.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

Well, let me start by saying I'm also 15, and I also plan on being a Computer Engineer.

Your chances at working with technology at 15 are very very slim, unless it's a small privately owned store, and you show them that you know what you're doing.

Also, in case you want to follow in my footsteps, my courseload for next year is going to include AP Physics and AP Chem(I'm considered crazy for taking both in one year), AP Statistics, and Science Research Techniques(a class in my school that has you make a project/experiment to be submitted in the Intel Science Competition, pretty renowned).

If you want a good job when you're older, get into a good university. If you want to get into a good university, take lots of classes, do lots of extra-curricular activities!

Good luck, talk to you when we're both Engineers, raking in the dough!

Try this one:

AP/IB AB Calc
AP/IB Physics III
AP/IB Chem III
AP/IB English III
IB Spanish IV B
(I am in IB)
I hate life.... but I got a B in physics and calc!

As for being a computer engineer, make sure you get a minor in business. You will practically own the market with major of computers and minor of business.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Try this one:

AP/IB AB Calc
AP/IB Physics III
AP/IB Chem III
AP/IB English III
IB Spanish IV B
(I am in IB)
I hate life.... but I got a B in physics and calc!

As for being a computer engineer, make sure you get a minor in business. You will practically own the market with major of computers and minor of business.

Mine's gonna be AP Phys, AP Chem, AP Stat, AP English, and I think I'm dropping Spanish for next year so I can have a study hall.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts