Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my taxes done and in and now looking to start buying parts for my next build. Won't be all at once but this is what I am looking at. Comments, criticism, and random babble is welcome from the peanut gallery.

btw in before you don't need 16gb ram! (this is what I want at least that amount. I expecting to get 5-7 years out of the system. And it is better to max it out now while it is cheap) and no I don't live near a microcenter to actually go to the store
redface.gif
but I can still order some stuff from the web store.

CASE - Silverstone SG05 450w
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock Z77e-itx
MEMORY - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
SSD - Samsung 840 250GB
STORAGE - Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB
HEATSINK - Prolimatech Samuel 17
FAN - Prolimatech 120mm case fan

Total - $1260.32

EDIT - Final build parts and now ordered
thumb.gif

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am just deciding if I should go now, but with haswell getting close if it is better to wait just a bit longer but start getting other parts now. It will take me about 2 months to get it all anyways. Besides the current rig is going on over 6 years now, so it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
the E6420 was the 1st cpu I ever bought for a build
biggrin.gif

although you could wait until June but if not it would be a tremendous upgrade to your current system

are you trying to game on all three monitors with a single 670?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes and it is perfectly possible depending on what settings and levels of AA you want to use. See anandtch benchmarks -
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598

using the 21.5" screens I could get away with no or even 4x AA on it and be perfectly fine. I am under no illusion that I will be able to max out everything, I know the limits. I am perfectly fine with out using AA, and what not.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yep, go for your life. Playing the waiting game is just stupid sometimes; if you want the CPU now and its well priced now what is stopping you? Sure, haswell may be slightly better in terms of performance, but it won't be leaps and bounds over Ivy Bridge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But as far as the build itself goes. I think all the parts will fit fine. I know it will be a tight squeeze and all with the heatsink but it does clear the PCI-e slot and just fits under the PSU.
I was planning placing the 7200rpm drives up in the cdrom bay and place the SSD under it thus I can remove the 3 1/2" bay all together for extra cables room.

am I correct in that? or does anyone have other recommendations (and no I don't want an AIO water cooler) I wouldn't trust one of those beyond 2 years if lucky, and I don't have the time and patience or funds to do a custom loop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could think about the Prolimatech Samuel 17 cooler.

It fits on a Gigabyte H77N-WIFI mITX board which is a similar layout to the ASRock without blocking the PCI-E slot and seems to work very well. Doesn't come with a fan so you get to pick your own ( I chose Akasa Apache Black PWM for silence). The cooler is 45mm tall without a fan so 70mm total height which is well within the 82mm limitation of the SG05.

I am also planning to move my rig into an SG05 from a TJ08-E soon and I contacted Silverstone last week to ask about PSU options for the SG05 and it seems that they aren't going to sell the SG05 with the modular PSU but are planning on selling the case without a PSU from April/May so that the customer can choose which PSU they want to use.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did they mention how much they planned on selling just the case for?

But as far as the Samuel 17, reason I didn't go with that originally was due to the lack of distribution in NA, but it seems like newegg and a few others are starting to stock it again. So yea I may consider it now, would just have to decide the fan. But due to the short cooler height itself that gives me pretty much my choice of fans. Obviously quiet fans are preferable. But want them at a reasonable price. And on that note how is the stock fan in the SG05?

Edit - are there any ram clearance issues depending on the orientation of the heatsink? I know wit the silverstone cooler only standard or low-profile height ram will fit. So no sticking stuff with taller than standard heatsinks on the board for example.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No mention on the price unfortunately, also they quoted the SG05B in the email so the all black version might not be included.
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Don't have the case yet and when I get it I will use the stock fan initially to see how loud it is before purchasing a replacement. The 180mm fan on the TJ08-E at the low speed setting is almost silent so if it is anything to go by it may be ok.

Don't know about the RAM clearance either, sorry. I have standard RAM atm, Corsair XMS3, and they fit without a problem. I'll open my case later and take a picture of the orientation and clearance if you can excuse the cable management and crappy pics from a camera phone.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I plan on using standard height ram. I just didn't know the clerance with those arms but after looking at photos and you what you got it would be good. If they are in stock come time I am ready to purchase that portion I will probably go with the samuel 17, but I am having a hard time deciding on the fans to get. would want them at less than $15 per fan if at all possible.

crappy camera phone pics are perfectly fine. I am sure I will get a build log put together once I start getting a good chunck of the parts ordered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ok so I took a few crappy pictures for you, please excuse the cable management. Didn't want to buy extensions for a case that I will be replacing soon.

Orientation: heatpipes run from top to bottom so the overhang of the fan is over the RAM and there is a 1-2mm clearance to the graphics card PCB.

Tried to get a shot of the RAM through the fan, the heatsink itself does not cover the RAM on my board.

Side shot. It looks like the extra clearance for taller RAM would be the thickness of the heatsink up to the base of the prongs for the fan.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea that helps alot. one thing I liked about that Heatsink is the lack of a backplate to get in the way of components on the underside of the board.
thumb.gif

At least CeBIT is next week March 5-9, so we should know more then on when new stuff is coming out. So will probably hold off till next weekend at least so I can get a low down on the new stuff to drool over in the next month or so and hopefully get release dates. I have been waiting for several months to upgrade - 4 days isn't going to kill me (I hope).

and +rep for that info

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZer0 View Post

But as far as the build itself goes. I think all the parts will fit fine. I know it will be a tight squeeze and all with the heatsink but it does clear the PCI-e slot and just fits under the PSU.
I was planning placing the 7200rpm drives up in the cdrom bay and place the SSD under it thus I can remove the 3 1/2" bay all together for extra cables room.
What extra cables?

I'd say just go with a single large desktop drive.

·
Registered
593 Posts
About the cooler, have a look at cooler compatibility list from HuwSharpe:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jruY0yVasgUDc3dUZZN1FJRGs/edit

I've moved the PSU to the front side of my SG05, easy mod that could give you some idea:

You could place it accordingly so it doesn't block the GPU area, but still let it take air from the front hole.
That will let you use a 'tower' heatsink, but you will still have to find a not so tall one! (max ~10cm if I remember well)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts