Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear friends, I have a small problem. I just hooked up a tv to my desktop through a vga cable. It works fine however i don't get the sound, and since my tv also has speakers i wondered if it would be possible to somehow put sound through them. Any ideas to how this might work?

P.S. I could also connect my tv through a DVI plug but then the resolution and quality are worse

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
VGA doesn't transfer audio.

You didn't configure your DVI resolution and scaling correctly.

What are the audio inputs on your TV and outputs on your PC? You can use HDMI through the card.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Connect a standard audio/video cable(the cable used with speakers) to your sound card and inputs of the TV. Thats what i do. OR you can use the hdmi cable.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaNab
View Post

Hello dear friends, I have a small problem. I just hooked up a tv to my desktop through a vga cable. It works fine however i don't get the sound, and since my tv also has speakers i wondered if it would be possible to somehow put sound through them. Any ideas to how this might work?

P.S. I could also connect my tv through a DVI plug but then the resolution and quality are worse

3.5mm mini plug to 2-RCA (Red & White) is the usual way. Most televisions will only do stereo on the input side, even if they are an HDTV capable of 5.1 surround output. The 5.1 in a HDTV is typically only for the TV tuner, and thus an output, not an input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

You didn't configure your DVI resolution and scaling correctly.

What are the audio inputs on your TV and outputs on your PC? You can use HDMI through the card.

Also, as DuckieHo mentioned, check your resolutions and scaling for the DVI input of the TV, and output on your vid card. You should get a better picture, using the digital in/out, over an analog VGA connection.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Since you have ATI cards, use HDMI if your TV has it. My PC automatically switches to HDMI sound when I activate the TV as a display.
Nah ive only got VGA, DVI. One thing i noticed is that it also has PC-DVI Audio IN. Dunno what that is tho.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Nah ive only got VGA, DVI. One thing i noticed is that it also has PC-DVI Audio IN. Dunno what that is tho.

if it's a 3.5 mini-jack (which a lot of TVs have with this set up), then a 3.5mm stereo mini plug from your sound card to a 3.5mm stereo mini plug into the TVs, PC-DVI Audio In.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey again, well i have bought a 3.5 mm headphone jack to an RCA (red and white) I have plugged it in and it actually doesnt work. Well it does work when i change my TV channel to AV4, but when i Change my tv channel to pc it doesnt work....I can either get video, or sound, but i cant get both ....lol

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hey again, well i have bought a 3.5 mm headphone jack to an RCA (red and white) I have plugged it in and it actually doesnt work. Well it does work when i change my TV channel to AV4, but when i Change my tv channel to pc it doesnt work....I can either get video, or sound, but i cant get both ....lol

What is the make and model number of your TV?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts