Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is the millionth thread about this, but I read a few FAQ's and am still a little confused. I am starting protein folding because I heard about it from a friend and want to contribute. It also sounds nicer when I present my project (its a senior project, so I present it to an audience) that it was not bought just to show off or to game, but to potentially find a cure for a disease. I also like to help in anyway I can, especially that I have gotten so much help from members here.

Anyway, so right now I have the program running. Is that all I need to do? Leave my computer on overnight? I tried tracking myself here:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

But it did not work, maybe because I started like 15 minutes ago.

Anything else you guys might want to add (how to get faster results from this..like using more of my CPU to fold the protein faster).

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.

Ill let it run overnight and wake up and see any posts here and results.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Glad you hopped on board! It seems like you get the core basics for folding as well.

Several things which you may want to note:
- EoC updates every 3 hours, so you may not see immediate reflection for project(s) you have recently submitted.
- Nvidia GPU folding performance is currently far superior to ATI's, this is normal.
- You run the program and let it sit there and fold away. It will take every spare processing cycle you have and use it towards folding your particular work unit (WU).
- In terms of CPU folding, it is more efficient to fold one project uninterrupted as opposed to starting a project then closing it for several hours to game or render, then resuming it. This is because CPU client have bonus points which are based on how quickly you complete the particular project compared with the benchmark set by a reference Stanford system.
- As nice as bigadv folding is points wise, don't do it if you cannot devote your i7 pretty much 24/7 to folding. The deadlines are extremely stringent.
- HFM.net is great for monitoring your folding progress both at home and on the go.

Which client(s) have you set up to fold on so far? Happy folding btw

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.

No clients yet, I have heard of one called like SMP or something. I may set it up later because I have no clue what it even does.

And yeah, I wouldnt be able to dedicate my computer 24/7, this is my primary computer..for gaming/schoolwork/browsing the web.

I heard people used virtual machines or something and would leave them on all day and still use their computer. Would that work fine? I could try that for a little while, maybe a week or so.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Hey there (sorry for the late reply).

To get started, I think you should use the SMP client only:
http://www.overclock.net/folding-hom...mp-client.html

There's no need for a virtual machine; if you need to use your CPU for other programs, the SMP client will throttle back to allow for that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem.

Thanks for a reply. Ive been folding for 12 hours and it feels great knowing that this information will be used at Stanford

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I just feel the need to let you know that you are on the edge of a very slippery slope. Soon you will want to try to maximize your PPD by making additions/swaps/tweaks. Be careful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts